Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay Risk

DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
I usually like to being my eBay auctions at $0.99 and let the market determine the value. What is the most expensive coin (value, not exact coin) that you would be comfortable starting at this level in a No Reserve auction. I have had good results up to a couple of hundred dollars, but am cautious of going beyond that figure. What is the experience of the sellers here? FYI, I am talking about PCGS coins, not raw.
Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Comments

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many beautiful coins sell them self. I really do not draw a line rather I take each coin individually. Most always I will start a coin off at .99 with no reserve. If I'm worried about it I'll do a BIN with a best offer.
    I wish you the best of luck.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    As someone who does 98% of my Ebay activity as a buyer, I really like auctions that start with very low initial bids. It just feels like I got a good deal if I win the auction because I've invested the extra energy to decide what I want to pay and then revisit what I'm willing to pay if someone outbids me. The Buy-It-Now auctions just feel too much like I'm going in a story and aren't any fun. I generally exclude them when I'm searching Ebay auctions. Plus, the Buy-It-Now auctions always seem to be priced at the upper end or above the appropriate price range for the coin. And auctions that have a high initial bid feel too much like Buy-It-Now auctions.

So to your question from the Buyer's perspective. With PCGS coins and the PCGS Price Guide, the value of the PCGS coins is reasonably out there for people to use in their bid-making. Your risk is whether you sell at the low end of the range or the high end of the range. When I bid on Ebay auctions, I rarely will bid above 85% of the PCGS Price Guide price and I purchase several coins every week. I believe the PCGS Price Guide is based on dealers' ask price and they don't use Ebay realized prices as part of their equation. Thus, I treat the PCGS Price Guide as the high end of the range for my biding guide. So if you want PCGS Price Guide price, then start with a high price. If you'll accept 75-85% of PCGS Price Guide price, then use the $0.99 initial bid. I think part of it is knowing your coin and where previous auctions have ended. For example, there are certain denominations/types/grades of coins I've purchased at 40% of PCGS Price Guide and some that will consistently sell at or a little above the PCGS Price Guide.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started a PCGS 1893s Morgan VF20 at .99 a few years ago and it sold for $5,005. I hand delivered it and that was
    way fun too!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> If you'll accept 75-85% of PCGS Price Guide price, then use the $0.99 initial bid. >>

I'd love to get 75% of the price guide.

Sometimes auctions can work to a sellers advantage.
    The nice people on eBay don't like having someone taking their coins away from them when they get outbid.

I've had coins listed with BIN for $2500 with no takers, but sold at 99c for $2800.
    But I've also had $2500 coins go for $2000. So it just depends.
    Keep an eye on your watch count because the bids come in late. If they don't then you lose.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't do the auction scene on ebay anymore. The last time I did(aside from my next example) ebay had a burp and I sold $300 worth of coins for less than $50! I received an email from ebay saying I could void the sales...but sorry...I don't operate that way. Ebay is not providing the visibility they should. Listings cycle in and out of visibility.

I recently sold a rare quarter variety on ebay at auction. The coin never made it near the first page of best match view! Geeze, there were only 500 pieces in the category. If it had it probably would have sold for a thousand more! Ebay is not supplying the bandwidth to gamble with 99c auctions in my opinion. The only ones who are successful now with that gamble are those who have been doing it for a long time and have a healthy group of followers!
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    I believe that 90% of winning bids are made within the last couple of minutes of an auction. I think when you choose to have your auction end can have a big impact on what bids you receive. I once got a great deal on a coin because someone had an auction ending after midnight pacific time and probably I was the only one awake as the auction ended to bid on it. A guy at work swears that Saturday and Sunday ending auctions will sell for considerably higher than auctions ending during weekdays.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not so much the dollar value as the collector base and how well the coin photographs, among
    other factors. I've listed Morgans starting at $1 that brought upwards of $1K. With some obscure
    material worth $200 or less, I might not feel confident doing that.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the replies. I think I may list a couple of coins in an auction that are more valuable than I usually offer at no reserve with a $0.99 starting price. My history has been good and some have been winners, but overall I have done better that way.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    E-Bay plays games with algorythms where larger sellers with stores and lots of sales get moved to the head of the line during searches. Accordingly, a small fish can post a coin at a low price and then see no bids because buyers can't find it. On an MS 63/64 Morgan Dollar (for example) I won't start an auction at .99 anymore because it can be up for 7 days at .99 and get 4 or 5 looks the whole week. Ten minutes before it's time is up it might be bid up to $15. I'm not in the business of giving my stuff away. I'd rather no sale.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO,

I think demand and intrest in a particular coin would be more important than overall value of coin. I can think of countless coins that I would feel comfortable with starting at .99 knowing they will be seen and bid on accordingly, but other examples that are not so expensive that intrest may or may not garner a price you expect
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People do like to duke it out for their coins.Starting at 99 cents for lower-priced,"more popular" items is good marketing.Oftentimes one will get more for the item starting at 99 cents than doing BIN or starting with a "high minimum."

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMO,

I think demand and intrest in a particular coin would be more important than overall value of coin. >>

I strongly concur. If it is a popular coin then you are likely to get a good price, if it is more obscure with few potential buyers then it could be a big risk.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe that 90% of winning bids are made within the last couple of minutes of an auction. I think when you choose to have your auction end can have a big impact on what bids you receive. I once got a great deal on a coin because someone had an auction ending after midnight pacific time and probably I was the only one awake as the auction ended to bid on it. A guy at work swears that Saturday and Sunday ending auctions will sell for considerably higher than auctions ending during weekdays. >>

Exactly. My best deal ever on Ebay was an auction ending on Tuesday or Thursday at 2 PM EST. This was during the Long Beach show. I was the only one on that auction and it was a monster $6.8K coin I got at the starting bid (PF66 ogh early seated dime). Even worse was that the seller was a 3rd party antiques/collectibles/coin shop that had the coin on consignment and really didn't care much about it. It later resold for $24K.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The market is in the tank and if you want to get melt then list at 99c and end up paying the $2.00 shipping to give your stuff away.

• Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The market is in the tank and if you want to get melt then list at 99c and end up paying the $2.00 shipping to give your stuff away.

image >>

Sad, but.......very true!image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My comment is that coin collecting always take a back seat this time of year.
    Dog days of summer everyone is trying get most out of summer and the parents are getting the kids all the stuff needed for school.
    Plus the economy still has not came back it seems, or many just have found different hobbies, as there are fewer of us than before.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold some Capital plastic holders last Sunday.

My LAST time of starting at 99c ....plus.... like it or not, I will make the shipping be $12.95 to cover a flat rate box. Or, if it's smaller stuff, I'll make the shipping be at least 9 bucks. Seems NO ONE closer than the east coast ever buys anything.

Getting to point of taking small stuff out and shooting it instead of listing on feebay. At least it would be fun. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file