Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Probable "Condition Census" 1944 No P HENNING NICKEL NewP

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
Having watched many of these sell and reviewing all Internet images I can find this sure looks like one of the finest preserved Hennings extant. This coin is the most successful circulating fake ever, no doubt some are still out there. Anyway, Henning made his dies by casting from nickels probably from his own pocket. His 1944 never had full precise details, and on top of this all have seen circulation. This example is the Finest I've seen. For some reason it didn't have a Long period in circulation. There are a few minor tic marks, I think graded by surface this may be AU and possibly very close to mint state. I'll bet some kid collector stuffed this into his Whitman during the '50s, mystified as to exactly what he had. Enjoy! imageimage

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was unfamiliar with these. Very interesting.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice example of a 1944 Henning nickel. Does anyone want to post any other years of Henning nickels? (1939, 1946, 1947, 1953, and one other)

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    I would agree this one has to be the finest known. Mine is pretty bad and have never seen one nicer! Awesome!

Yes, I would like to see some of the other Henning Counterfeits. Post'em if you got'em! I don't own any of the other dates.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been wondering if any of the obverse tics are transfers from the host coin. Unfortunately I can't locate any images of that date in a similar well preserved condition
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Never seen one but I love it.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best I have seen also. Here are a couple of Henning Nickels dated
    1939 and 1953(sorry about pics...not mine). The telltale loop/hole
    in the R on reverse seems to be the main identifier, also all are no
    mintmarks. Thanks for the post.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here`s mine. I really should take some better pics of this. As you can see, I`ve had this one for quite a while.
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file