Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The 90's seem to be the lost decade of sports cards.

Nobody seems to talk about the 90s cards and I don't see much in the articles about it either

Good fun stuff. Guess though all is considered junk based on the value.

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There's always the grill. >>

Or cereal.
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    Shockingly, I've never seen these cards before. Photos look good though.
    Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

Classic or the tub.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    Did you see the Bucky Buckles card at the end there ?
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1990's were the golden era of inserts. I think the creativity of the inserts during that period, especially the middle years, is much better than today.
    Mike
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1990's were the golden era of inserts. I think the creativity of the inserts during that period, especially the middle years, is much better than today. >>

Agree. I liked the Leaf Statistical Standouts in 1995. Very cool inserts IMO. Pinnacle / Score brands had some cool inserts also. 1995 Z Team with the Dufex. NHL, NFL and MLB versions of the Z Team all looked sharp IMO image
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    The box looks like it was designed using the latest fonts from Microsoft Word on Windows 95.
    Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    Not out of a wax box but these are the 'Cyberstat Review' inserts listed on the box cover

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I liked 95 Topps, though it copied UD with some of it triple exposed pbotos, it was a clean simple design. Some might call it boring. The backs were one of my favorites of the 90s.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i the lack of big time rookies in most sets hurt the 90's also.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are actually many valuable 90's cards. Check out prices on 96 select certified mirror golds, 98 donruss crusades and fleer metal precious metal gems. Very limited and very valuable.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    PhilGPhilG Posts: 237 ✭✭
    I’m partial to 93 Finest Refractors. Then again I have 3891 of them.
    Phil
  • Options
    junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nobody seems to talk about the 90s cards and I don't see much in the articles about it either

Good fun stuff. Guess though all is considered junk based on the value. >>

I couldn't disagree more.

If anything, the 90's, considering today's nostalgia for inserts, brand variety, etc, are probably the hottest period in collecting. Excluding vintage hobbyists and prospectors/gamblers, the 1990's are by far the most actively collected decade. Donruss Crusade, Select Mirror, Flair Legacies, Crash The Game Instant Win are just a tiny example of some of the inserts and parallels that are selling far beyond what they did upon release. The same thing is happening with uncatalogued and little-known promo/sample items from that period. Take a look at some recent 90's insert/parallel #D/100 or less sales on Jim Thome, Omar Vizquel, Ken Griffey Jr. and Jeter. Baseball hasn't hit Jordan levels but the popularity of key 90's stuff has been steadily rising for 6-7 years now, at least.

That said, perhaps I should specify "mid-to-late 90's key insert/parallels" as most of the early 90's stuff remains plentiful to all aside from rare promo and variation items.
    fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Most of the early 1990s Fleer inserts are condition sensative and fun to chase while ripping packs - not to mention very valuable in a 10. Go take a look at how low the PSA 10 populations are for the 1992 Rookie Sensation cards of Frank Thomas, Jeff Bagwell and Ivan Rodriguez. Those might be the best early cards of those 3 current/future hall of famers.
  • Options

<< <i>I’m partial to 93 Finest Refractors. Then again I have 3891 of them.
    Phil >>

Less than 10 percent of the print run, underachiever! image
  • Options
    PhilGPhilG Posts: 237 ✭✭
    Well I do have 52% of the print run for Randy Myers.
    Phil
  • Options

<< <i>

Or cereal. >>

Or the pool. Were any of these packs full of nothing but Canseco?
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    1995 was the year I stopped buying new cards across all four major team sports and
    went mostly into vintage or pre 1975 cards.

I must say that I really like those '95 Topps cards at the beginning of this thread. I've never
    seen most of them before. A clean, simple design. At this point in time it seemed like Topps
    was about five years behind the times as compared to Upper Deck and their card designs.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I have nothing against this stuff. I like many of the sets. I don't care that they are relatively worthless. I collect, not invest. 1993 Topps is beautiful to me. I like 1997 too. You can get complete sets for under $20. I'm fine with that.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's the angle. I think Lofton's face was over-edited on the Cyberstat Review.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1990s cards are wildly collected and very popular. You're just on the wrong message board.

Arthur