Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

2015 Stadium Club

There have been threads on the other major Topps releases this year, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned 2015 Stadium Club yet. Is anyone else collecting it? To me, it is the best thing Topps put out this year. It has an interesting mix of active and retired players that includes guys who were good players but weren't superstars, and really great photography. It's also a small enough set that you can put it together pretty easily and has no annoying short prints. It's also in retail, so I've just been grabbing a blaster box here and there when I'm in Target anyway. It's a fun rip. Here's 9 cards I pulled in about 3 minutes just now out of the first handful of 50 or so I picked up out of my unorganized stack.

The Gehrig card is just fantastic. If you like interesting cards and cool photos it may be for you.

Comments

• SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Totally agree!
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    I've been meaning to bring this set up too.

I liked the look so much that what I decided to do is to just focus on putting together a set of the gold autographs. I love that the autos are on-card and the mix of players is pretty good as well. If I'm able to put it together, it will be the first modern baseball set I will have completed in ages.

Right now, I have 62 of the 75 autographs, of which 45 are gold. I will probably put something up on BST to see if anyone can fill my needs list.

One oddity, though:

I monitor ebay frequently for new ones. In doing so (and checking ended listings), I have never seen a gold autograph version of Kris Bryant (all auto redemptions have been base), Noah Syndergaard (all auto redemptions have been base), Jung-Ho Kang, and Carolos Rodon. Has anyone seen gold versions, or know if Topps did not distribute the gold versions of these?
  • graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been meaning to bring this set up too.

I liked the look so much that what I decided to do is to just focus on putting together a set of the gold autographs. I love that the autos are on-card and the mix of players is pretty good as well. If I'm able to put it together, it will be the first modern baseball set I will have completed in ages.

Right now, I have 62 of the 75 autographs, of which 45 are gold. I will probably put something up on BST to see if anyone can fill my needs list.

One oddity, though:

I monitor ebay frequently for new ones. In doing so (and checking ended listings), I have never seen a gold autograph version of Kris Bryant (all auto redemptions have been base), Noah Syndergaard (all auto redemptions have been base), Jung-Ho Kang, and Carolos Rodon. Has anyone seen gold versions, or know if Topps did not distribute the gold versions of these? >>

Very impressive start! I have no idea on whether those others are available in the gold or not because I haven't been buying for the autos really. But I've pulled two out of the four or five blasters I've bought so I like that they aren't all that tough to pull.
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    So far, I've only bought autos. I only opened one blaster for fun, but didn't pull anything. The base autos are plentiful and it doesn't seem like any of those are short-printed, but there are some players who only have the gold versions, which are numbered out of 25, and some who only have the gold and black (out of 50). The players who I've never seen base autos for are:

Buster Posey (only seen gold)
    Bryce Harper (only seen gold)
    Mike Trout (only seen gold)
    Fernando Valenzuela (only seen gold)
    Ryne Sandberg (only seen gold)
    Davis Ortiz (only seen gold)
    David Wright (only seen gold)
    Evan Longoria (only seen gold)
    Freddie Freeman (only seen gold)
    Jose Abreu (only seen gold)
    Josh Donaldson (seen gold and black)
    Clayton Kershaw (redemption - seen gold and black)
    Joey Votto (only seen gold)
    Mike Piazza (only seen gold)
    Mariano Rivera (only seen gold)
    Roger Clemens (only seen gold)
    Jorge Soler (seen gold and black)
  • rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I am loving the Stadium Club this year. The photos and overall look of the cards are fantastic. I have been putting together the gold foil parallel set.

<< <i>Yeah, I am loving the Stadium Club this year. The photos and overall look of the cards are fantastic. I have been putting together the gold foil parallel set. >>

Those will look great. I have a handful of gold foils but don't plan to put it together. PM me your list and I'll see if I can help out.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    I try and build the triumvirate set every year they have one ...Recently legends sets and this year the beam team set
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I noticed the photography from this set from looking through Topps Vault auctions. You are right it is a great looking set.
    This was a recent eBay pick-up:
  • I also noticed that this set is really nice but to me, nothing really beats the 1991 set. That was instant classic shots. Certainly stepped up its game I thought when I saw those cards and the designs with gloss and the high quality photos. I think it still holds up today even. What I don't like too much about these cards are that they also include players who have long since retired. It gets really confusing I think for the new collectors and its one thing that put me off about the hobby. Heck, the other day I bought a box of 2015 Topps and it included some boy band kid who sang the national anthem. Really?? That is not why I bought the pack of cards. I want to collect players I enjoy and players of today. By including stuff like that or retired players, it feels like a cheap way of trying to make the person find like they got a good insert or card/player.
    I agree 1991 is a classic. I bought those and thought why in the world would I spend my money on regular Topps? (I've since come to appreciate 1991 Topps too.)

I don't mind the inclusion of retired players in a secondary set like this if it's done right. I hate it when you get the same photo of the same players in 5 different sets and 4 more insert sets. I don't need another card of Jackie Robinson posed finishing his swing. I could do with far fewer inserts in general. But here, the photos are fresh even if the players are long retired. Take that Gehrig card. It is wonderful because it makes you see him in a new light after all these years. The enduring image of him is head bowed at the microphone, already sick. Here you see him joyfully jumping a bat. You get a sense of another side of the man, and I'm fine with a set that can pull that off. Certainly Topps can beat the nostalgia factor to death, but I think they got it right with this set. And if a card with a great picture of Carlos Baerga turning two causes a younger collector to read about him, I think that's great too.
  • royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I have always love Stadium Club for their quality and great design. Too bad their product's price out more than I'm willing to pay.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
    I actually don't mind the inclusion of retired players in all the new sets. It is happening across all sports. I mostly collect hockey and the guys I collect are retired, so it's nice to have something new to chase after. I also wonder if these new cards will have more player collectors asking PSA for super sets so these newer cards can be included. I recently put a request in for a hockey player super set, but I have heard it takes a while for PSA to add them.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone has #259 Greg Maddux Black & White Foil, Foil Board, or Members Only parallels they are willing to part with, let me know. I need to purchase copies for my oddball golf collection.