Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Die clash wheat or PMD?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Found this in change a couple days back. Didn't think much of it until I walked past it just now and saw the outline of what looks like Lincoln's face.

PMD, clash, or other?

1946-S video showing possible clash

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    from what i can see it's a good chance it's PMD

but without closer photos it's hard to say for sure
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe I'd call it die fatigue...definitely an outline of Lincoln's bust and not at all uncommon. I believe the bust image is essentially transferred to the reverse die after repeated striking...probably indicative of the die preparation process lacking in some area.

I'd not call it a clash.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got a pic of the obverse?
  • Options

<< <i>got a pic of the obverse? >>

The halo 'round Abe's head is accurate...

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not damaged.

Die Fatigue is a good enough term.

These are common, and easy to find, mostly in the 1940's
    and 1950's dated Cents.

I believe the "Ghost Of Lincoln" (as these were called in the
    1960's era) is from overused dies, where the constant striking
    pressure transferred the outline of the main design (Lincoln)
    into the reverse die....Not a die clash.

Mike Diamond would have a more specific detailed explanation
    if he chimes in.

Hope this info helps.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. More exciting than PMD at least image
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These dies may never have clashed. The outline of Lincoln is essentially a map of how the pressure from one die was transmitted through the planchet to the opposing die, wearing it out. The wear on a die where the coin is thinnest (field against field on the die) is much different than at the thick parts of the coin (design against design being thickest). It could be that sharp gradients in the thickness of the coin (where the designs meet the field) could play a role in this as well.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Fred said.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks mark.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file