Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BBCE Wrapping Question

As BBCE wrapping of boxes becomes more common and a bigger economic factor in the selling of boxes, I wonder if Steve has any guidelines for what he will wrap. Wrapping a box renders the packs inside invisible. Thus, a potential buyer needs to be confident that the packs have not only been authenticated as legit, but also that the packs are what they purport to be.

As an example, there are different Wacky Packages series for which the packs use identical wrappers. One such example is 9th and 11th series.
9th series boxes are fairly common, 11th series boxes are nearly non-existent. The packs look identical.

If someone were to fill an 11th series box with 9th series packs, I'm not really confident that Steve would know the difference. Is he aware of such issues? Will he only wrap boxes when he is familiar/experienced with the contents?

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Will he only wrap boxes when he is familiar/experienced with the contents? >>

That would be my hope.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the situations where the same wrapper was used in more than one year Steve will usually open one pack to verify what card are in the pack if he can't see through the wrapper. He will take this pack and flip it over and put it back in the box. At least that has been what he has done in the past for me. This saved me from having a 1979 Topps football box with 1980 cards in the wrappers.
    James
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In the situations where the same wrapper was used in more than one year Steve will usually open one pack to verify what card are in the pack if he can't see through the wrapper. He will take this pack and flip it over and put it back in the box. At least that has been what he has done in the past for me. This saved me from having a 1979 Topps football box with 1980 cards in the wrappers.
    James >>

That's a good example. I just wonder whether he would even be aware of such issues for non-sports releases. GAI has frequently misidentified the series of wacky packages unopened packs it certified, but at least in that case I can see the pack and examine it myself.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    By all means, send him an email and link to the thread -- I've always been of the mind that he would take any potential issues/learning experiences to heart, and that may in turn alleviate your concerns. image