Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1957 Topps Bill Russell: A 2 year exercise in patience

Hi everyone,

Like many of you, I have a list of cards that I would one day love to own. My collection is quite modest, but I enjoy every card, even those not of high grade or value. To be quite honest, I get the most enjoyment of low grade, strong eye appeal vintage cards that fit my collecting budget.

One card that has been an absolute beast to meet my collecting criteria has been the 1957 Topps Bill Russell rookie. There have been quite a few examples for sale, but not quite met the eye appeal criteria in low grade I have searched for. Ebay often has 3-4 lower graded available, but the one thing that always seemed to make me pass was the centering. I am by no means an expert in 1957 Topps Basketball, but I would feel comfortable saying that less than 5% of all Russell rookies are even close to 60/40 centering, let alone 50/50. They really are all over the map. So finding a low grade, near perfect centered example was starting to seem like a dream.

I had resigned my fate to a low grade example with centering issues, probably 70/30 at best. There was a pretty clean PSA 4 that was in auction format on eBay that ended last Sunday. It was a nice card, but was off top to bottom and left to right. It wasn't severe, but still, it was noticeable. I placed a snipe, and was quickly blown out of the water. Lost the auction. Didn't lose any sleep. Maybe it's just not meant to be.

Well, on Tuesday morning, I woke up at 6am to get ready for work. As habit, I always check my phone for work emails and also eBay to see if any of my saved searched had new listings overnight. They usually don't, but hey, it never hurts to try. Low and behold, a listing pops for the Russell rookie. Still blurry eyed and with no glasses on, I check it out. Wow, this card looks nice. Centering looks real nice. PSA 3, just as I like them. So I had to fire up the PC to get a better look, put the glasses on and really scrutinize. Looks fantastic, nice soft corners as a PSA 3 should have. Clean border. It's a buy it now. I pull the trigger.

Wasn't too productive at work as I kept looking at the scans. I was trying to see if I missed something on the centering. Still looked great!

Fast forward to this evening. I get home from work and I have a padded mailer awaiting on the kitchen table. Wow, I wasn't expecting delivery until Friday. It's at my house in Chicago in just 2 days from Arizona. Fast!!! I open the envelope, and it looks amazing. Even the surface snow, as you will see in the scan below, almost disappears with the card in hand.

It's days like today, that I remember just how awesome of a hobby this is, and to never stop chasing down the cards we desire so much. Patience is not one of my strengths, but in this situation, it really paid off. So without further ado, I present my 1957 Topps Bill Russel Rookie Card in PSA 3!

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AWESOME looking "3". Patience pays off my friend. Now enjoy the card.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just goes to show, a great looking card doesn't have to have a high grade. Congrats, you got a beauty. image
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Great story and awesome looking card!!

I've got two of them, a 6 and a 7 and your 3 almost looks as nice as my 6!!

Now go for the other 79 cards; its a nice small set of 80 cards and you've already got the toughest one so it's all gravy from here!!!!image
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    Great looking card. Congrats on waiting and finding one you are happy with. When those special cards come and you are lucky enough to bring them in it's a great feeling. Enjoy!
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on a real beauty!
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Great write up. Congratulations on a great pick up. I am in the same boat as you, having been patiently waiting to buy a centered version of this card. You are not exaggerating when you describe the issues with this card and centering. This is one time where I am bummed living on the west coast as the east coasters and Midwesterners get first crack at seeing new listings in the AM. I was watching the PSA 4 you mentioned that ended last week too and agree it was one of the better ones listed in a while at that grade. I would still rather have your 3 even if I could buy the same 4 at your price.
    Steve
  • Options
    What a card! How's that not a 3.5?!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a beautiful card! The Russell rookie is an absolute bear to find with anything resembling decent centering. Congrats! image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great read. I would have pulled the trigger on that one as well. Congrats and the eye-appeal is unbelievable on that card. Love when board members post great finds.

<< <i>That is a beautiful card! The Russell rookie is an absolute bear to find with anything resembling decent centering. Congrats! image >>

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Nice write up on the perseverance to wait on the card to come to you. Its a beautiful Bill Russell. Congratulations
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats on a real beauty! >>

+1, not really a BkB fan, but loved the writeup and card. Shipping from AZ is always fast, receiving packages here, not so much image
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great card and thanks for the write up.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭✭
    That is terrific! Great-looking card and an excellent example in patience. Not easy to do, for sure!
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I just wanted to say thanks for the responses. I really enjoy seeing what others add to their collection, especially vintage.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a beast to find in that perfectly framed state. That wait just goes to show how hard it is, and must make that card all the more enjoyable now that it's in hand. Looks fantastic.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    good for you. I am that card short on my set--that I started 6 years ago. Patience indeed
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭
    super awesome card.
    Congrats on a great P U.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    congrats, looks great.

please be more productive at work next week.
  • Options
    Awesome card! And the #2 Jordan basic set isn't modest either!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a very nice item.