Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1.1 million coins on our new Collectors.com

We just launched a new rare coin search tool...collectors.com. There are currently 1.1 million coins in this search aggregator.

This is one of the coolest things we've done.

Just type in a coin and search. You'll be amazed.

hrh

Comments

• Options
    Very impressive. Search pulls up everything including pictures of the coins and links all on one page. image
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is really great! I just spent the last 15 minutes using it and will spend all of my searching time there going forward.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great tool and love the mouse over feature!

Thanks PCGS!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely incredible!! Thank you for doing this!!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now if you really want it to make the only place I stop at, add sold listing/results.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, when I type in my search criteria MS 65 BN Lincoln Cent on collectors.com 4 coins are listed

When I do the same search on eBay I get 35 coins to appear. What am I doing wrong?
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, when I type in my search criteria MS 65 BN Lincoln Cent on collectors.com 4 coins are listed

When I do the same search on eBay I get 35 coins to appear. What am I doing wrong?
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! Is there any chance you could add a filter where you could restrict the date range (e.g. 1792-1964)?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, that's enough. Time for bed. (And, yes, very cool.)
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing reference!

Curious how the engine works, can sellers define their category? example, out of 39 listings for 1797 gold coins, 11 of them are ads for copper or silver coins ?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Nice site, what sites does it pull the info from?

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a pretty amazing tool you have created!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, when I type in my search criteria MS 65 BN Lincoln Cent on collectors.com 4 coins are listed

When I do the same search on eBay I get 35 coins to appear. What am I doing wrong? >>

I noticed that also. I think the newer listed coins on ebay(or anywhere for that mater?) take a day or 2 to cycle into the system. While I can't be sure the few I checked that didn't show up had been listed in the last 24 hours.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will be 1.2 million sooner than we think. Congrats.
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    I checked it out last night, very cool and will undoubtedly be very handy.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great way to shop the market. Still have to watch out for the ringer.

BTW bookmark added to favs.

• Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Great site and very user friendly! Looks great!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it seems like a nice and easy site thus far
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    My first search found desired coins however
    Collectors.com showed a price of $455.34.
    I hit the link to find the actual
    price on site was $1455.34. Hmmm
    Good search, but be careful.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great site !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Great work and great site.

The issue is that many of the 1.1 million coins are duplications. For example, a coin could be listed in dealer's website, in eBay and possibly in other place(s) so that the same coin will be counted multiple times. Go and figure it out.

If all coins are tracked by unique ID, e.g., PCGS or other TPG series number, then many duplications can be eliminated and save much time to search. image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Lots if duplication. A single Heritage coin can be available, for example, in listings from at least hnai, heritage on ebay and Heritage on collectors corner.
    The auction prices listed are mostly opening bids, and don't seem to be updated.
    The search however does a good job finding listings.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to agree it's a nice option but the amount of duplicates is very high. I did one search yesterday and the same coin from Heritage showed up 4 or 5 times in the first three pages.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    New software and sites often have a few bugs and issues upon launch, but overall I really like this site!! I know it will get refined over time and is yet another great addition for the collector. Information is power!!
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    There are many duplicates since dealers choose to list their coins on multiple sites. However many times these multiple listings will be at different prices. Don't you want to know? There are some very simple ways to filter and sort your results that can tell you much more than you thought.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    User friendly,easy-to-navigate site.Well done,PCGS.image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    It's a great idea, but your previous endeavor was better. At present, it's a mess. Way too many coins of all grades and types with many coins that just don't belong. Trying to filter out the chaff to let the cream rise to the top is daunting. Just an idea... put the button on that says... upgrade my set as you used to say, then give the owner of the set the option of what he wants to see. You used to say... here's only upgrades to your set. You should give us the option of making any coin we want into a want list which would filter out all the ones we don't care to see. For example, at present, I have a white coin in an MS67 grade I'm considering looking for a colorful replacement for... give me my list of coins in my registry by date as you had before, but the option as to what grades I'd like to see so I have the option to find any grade, instead of just upgrades from a 67 to a 67+ or higher. Your previous version sorted the coins quite nicely and made it much easier to find what I was looking for. Unfortunately, it gave others the same ease of finding these hard to locate coins and bidding wars ensued.

By the way, thanks for my last submission. I was rather happy with the outcome. My goal was minimum of MS65 across the board. Compared to some of my previous submissions, 9 out of 10 ain't bad.

Peace!

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome PCGS, easy to navigate and very handy. Now if PCGS could increase the coin collecting base by 1.1 million image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Steve, all of the set match functions are still there - just go to to PCGS.com > My Set Registry > My Sets, click on any of your sets, and click "Shop this Set" or any of the "Shop" links next to your items to look for upgrades.

Or if you'd prefer to shop for a set you haven't started yet, just got to any set page in the set registry (like this one) and click the "Shop" link near the top.

We also added the option you requested to match coins that aren't upgrades - just uncheck "Upgrade Items Only" when you get to the Set Match page for your set, then choose the grade filters you want to use.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve, all of the set match functions are still there - just go to to PCGS.com > My Set Registry > My Sets, click on any of your sets, and click "Shop this Set" or any of the "Shop" links next to your items to look for upgrades.

Or if you'd prefer to shop for a set you haven't started yet, just got to any set page in the set registry (like this one) and click the "Shop" link near the top.

We also added the option you requested to match coins that aren't upgrades - just uncheck "Upgrade Items Only" when you get to the Set Match page for your set, then choose the grade filters you want to use. >>

Awesome... had to get the spectacles out to find your button, but it works. Good job.
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    You weren't the only one that had this problem - that link was too small and easy to miss.

We've made the large banner above the coins in My Sets link directly to this function now, and the link now reads "Shop for the Coins in this Set".

Thanks for the feedback and helping us improve things!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file