Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

RIP, Chocolate Thunder

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13526002/darryl-dawkins-dies-age-58

Darryl Dawkins was one of the players that I was in awe of when I was a yute. That was back when men were men and backboards were scared.

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An Orlando native like me.

RIP

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Interesting factoid that I did not know: he was nicknamed “Chocolate Thunder” by Stevie Wonder.

Dawkins:

<< <i>Stevie Wonder used to come the ball games and they would have a guy sitting with him. And the guy would be holding on to his arm, telling him what’s going on, and he would say, “Hey, the big chocolate guy just put down a thunder dunk. The chocolate guy with another monster dunk.” And Stevie Wonder actually gave me the nickname Chocolate Thunder. So a guy who never saw me can give me that name. I think I can wear that well. I don’t even know if he remembers, it’s been so long, but I’ll keep that. >>

He was also the very first player drafted right out of high school, and broke two backboards with his dunks.

dunks go here
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow sad. 58 is too early to go.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    58? wow so early. one of the first posters on the wall in the 70/80s...along with iceman.....still crushing boards up above...RIP
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    backbidderbackbidder Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    Very sad. Nice man and great with kids. My son (#61) and friend with Chocolate Thunder at a chili cookoff in March (he was a judge).

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a shame

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very sad. Nice man and great with kids. My son (#61) and friend with Chocolate Thunder at a chili cookoff in March (he was a judge).G]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn76/ledergoster/Chocolate Thunder_zpso9bnmyrm.jpg[/IMG] >>

The sports world is that much richer for people like him.Always nice to read stories like this.We need more of them.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of his one handed dunks were downright scary for the era, or any era really. Shame the Sixers didn't get a title with him on the team.
  • Options

<< <i>Some of his one handed dunks were downright scary for the era, or any era really. Shame the Sixers didn't get a title with him on the team. >>

I saw some of the highlights this morning on ESPN. Some insane dunks. His elevation was incredible.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Some of his one handed dunks were downright scary for the era, or any era really. Shame the Sixers didn't get a title with him on the team. >>

I saw some of the highlights this morning on ESPN. Some insane dunks. His elevation was incredible. >>

Named most of his dunks also image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I saw some of the highlights this morning on ESPN. Some insane dunks. His elevation was incredible. >>

Named most of his dunks also image >>

Very nice!