Home Sports Talk
Options

To Red Sox Nation...the unthinkable dismisal of Don Orsillo

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
The utter cruelty of business and the power of those who have never, ever broadcast a game is on display for all to see. The loss of Orsillo will be felt like a family death throughout New England and beyond. In my book, Don Orsillo is/was nothing short of the best of the best. Tis a sad, sad day in Boston, indeed the worst season loss of all. BEST TO YOU DON ORSILLO !!!

In a season of losses, Don Orsillo's firing the worst of all

Gordon Edes, ESPN Staff Writer

CHICAGO -- For a Boston Red Sox fan base that has absorbed a dizzying amount of change in a really short time, Don Orsillo's firing may have been the hardest to comprehend or accept, judging from the angry reaction on social media.

Less than a month ago, World Series heroes Shane Victorino and Mike Napoli were traded, and folks understood. Victorino was hurt, Napoli was slumping and neither figured to be in the team's future. Hail and farewell.

News broke that Larry Lucchino was out as Sox CEO and president, and Sam Kennedy was announced as his successor as president. Lucchino turns 70 in September, and as a lightning rod for fan disaffection, his departure at the end of the year did not occasion an outpouring of sympathy.

Manager John Farrell was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma, a shocking development but one that served as a reminder that for all their privileged status, the Sox are not immune to the calamities that afflict us all.

Ben Cherington was let go as general manager and David Dombrowski was hired for the newly created position of president of baseball operations. Cherington was sacrificed on the altar of unmet expectations, the club headed toward its third last-place finish in four years, and while some took exception to Cherington being blind-sided, there was a certain inevitability to his dismissal.

But Tuesday's news of the dismissal of Orsillo, an invited guest into New England living rooms for 15 years as NESN's play-by-play man and comic sidekick to Jerry Remy, came without any warning whatsoever, except perhaps to a handful of industry insiders aware that NESN programming and production chief Joseph Maar wasn't a card-carrying member of the Orsillo fan club.

Even as the team's play frequently crossed over to the unwatchable this season, Orsillo and Remy remained as dependable as ever. Blaming the broadcasters for NESN's tanking ratings this season is about as plausible as attributing global warming to a faulty exhaust pipe. Orsillo and Remy were witnesses to a collapse, not the cause of it.

Orsillo, even more than Remy, who has endured traumatic health and personal issues that have knocked him off the air for weeks at a time, has been the connective thread binding this town and its team. One season, in Remy's long absence, he was cycled through 26 guest partners. When grave doubts were raised about how Remy would carry on in the aftermath of his son's arrest and subsequent conviction for murder, it was Orsillo who was asked to maintain an aura of normalcy with no how-to guide for dealing with such trying circumstances.

Orsillo was perceived as loyal. While his critics likened him to a "Baghdad Bob” for not casting Sox performances in a harsher light, he stayed above the fray, content to remain Switzerland while letting Remy riff. He was a willing foil if it produced a laugh, whether it was to his partner or to Terry Francona. And it was through his eyes, and voice, that many will long remember the sweetest moments of this team's history, three World Series titles in 10 years.

Like the best broadcasters, Orsillo fit like the most comfortable pair of slippers. And to have that seemingly snatched away overnight, and to expect Orsillo to pretend on the air for the season's final six weeks as if his heart hadn't been carved out of him, struck many as unconscionable. Orsillo, according to a source, had yet to inform some of the people closest to him of his dismissal before Gerry Callahan went on his morning radio show Tuesday and broke the news.

NESN, of course, offered no public explanation for why it was letting Orsillo go. Instead, after letting hours pass without comment, the network issued a press release late Tuesday night announcing Dave O'Brien would succeed Orsillo as play-by-play man in 2016, accompanied by a boilerplate quote from NESN CEO Sean Grande about how grateful the network was for all of Orsillo's contributions over the years.

Not grateful enough to keep from firing him, though. Orsillo, a son of New England, had hopes of being a Red Sox lifer. He was devastated to be told he was wanted no longer, given no other reason for his dismissal other than his bosses wanted to make a change.

Remy, who let it be known through the Sox PR staff that he wanted to address reporters about Orsillo's dismissal, was an emotional wreck after the game, his voice thick with emotion and his eyes filled with tears. He spoke of his admiration of Orsillo's work, and their closeness as friends. "I love him," he said.

"It's been awfully difficult on him, it really has," Remy said. "It's been difficult on everybody. You get used to somebody, you're friends, you work together for such a long time, you have such a good time doing your job, [and] it's over."

Change a few words, and you could be describing how NESN's audience felt about Orsillo. Over the span of 15 years, they had become accustomed to him, felt like he'd become a friend, had a good time watching him cut up with Remy, and now it was over.

Maybe that's why, in a season of so many losses, this felt like the worst loss of all.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely ridiculous, those guys were a great "Team"
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orsillo is still the best there is
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know why he had to go but at the same time I don't care particularly. Why was Orsillo even there at all? myself I was happy with Sean Mcdonough .

Volume down is how I watch just about everything . It started as a reaction to Derek Sanderson but its appropriate to 90% of televised sports nowadays .

It's NESN so don't expect too much is how I look at it.

• Options
    Well, if you "don't particularly care", why bother to post on the subject?

I can assure you, there are thousands of New Englanders who love the Orsillo/Remy connection, and have for the past 15 years. Perhaps your home is elsewhere, or you're just not a Red Sox fan.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, if you "don't particularly care", why bother to post on the subject?

I can assure you, there are thousands of New Englanders who love the Orsillo/Remy connection, and have for the past 15 years. Perhaps your home is elsewhere, or you're just not a Red Sox fan. >>

No I'm right here in the Boston area , I tune into watch the games not to hear the broadcasters. It's TV not radio . I agree Orsillo didn't do anything to lose the job though. If you have to ax someone get rid of Remy would be my take .

• Options
    Well, I have to agree that Remy (IMO) doesn't add that much as the "analyst". Orsillo is steady Eddie and his play by play was on par with the best. I also agree with turning down the volume...I think any baseball fan can easily figure out what's going on...not all this BS fluff to fill the air. Would not mind seeing Jerry move on to retirement and bring in some fresh announcer. I did enjoy hearing Eck from time to time. NESN is a very rare commodity where I live.

I wonder if the Jenny Dell connection/rumors, contributed to Orsillo's ouster. I have no facts on this, but seems that could be a factor. Didn't Orsillo get divorced recently and has been seen with Dell on several occasions??

BTW, born and raised in Lowell.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I thought Dell and Middlebrooks were engaged.

Things change I guess.

I agree on Remy as he does nothing for me and would prefer either Eck or Lyons to provide some different input on things.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought Dell and Middlebrooks were engaged.

Things change I guess.

I agree on Remy as he does nothing for me and would prefer either Eck or Lyons to provide some different input on things. >>

Dell is engaged to Middlebrooks

NESN decision-makers are just STUPID
  • Options
    As I was googling around trying to figure the Orsillo dismissal, came across what seemed to be a lot of Orsillo/Dell buzz...and Orsillo's divorce. Kinda thought maybe there was a connection. Guess I was wrong, clearly Middlebrooks got his Dell.

Swihart gets the inside the park homer...very cool, wish I'd seen it.

Is it kickoff time yet? Hopefully the judge rules this week on Brady...based on his questions that I heard towards the "prosecution", I'm favoring a Brady acquittal. If you don't have the smoking gun, I think in a court of law he gets off the hook. Lots of "we think he did it" yada yada. All this over air...and when the air got fixed he excelled in the second half. Stupid stuff!!

BUT, he's still gonna hear crap from various venues as "cheater, cheater", no matter which way the call goes.
  • Options

rumor has it they were confiscating orsillo signs that fans tried to bring in. If true that would be par for the course for this clown show of an ownership group