Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

French Air Force pin/medal I.D. Help needed

I picked up this pin/medal because it had a sower on it, but the design intrigued me. As you can see, La Semeuse (Marianne), is flanked by both the US and GB flags. R F under the flags with F.A.F. under the figure. The back of the pin/medal has a mark with BR next to it. I assume F.A.F is French Air Force. No date.

Any help identifying the piece would be appreciated. Thank you

imageimageimage
Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that I would hazard is that the markings on the reverse suggest a product of Monnaie de Paris made of bronze.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Here is a page that briefly discusses the edge marks that the Paris Mint used on medals.
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    I believe Roty first crafted the sower design in the 1880's-1890's and it appeared on coins just prior to the turn of the century.

I believe that Monnaie de Paris began using that style of cornucopia at about the same time and used it in similar form until about 1966 (at least for medals). The use of "BR." may be particular to decorations such as this as it usually appeared as "BRONZE" on medals.

The "RF" in the shield could refer to République Française.

Interpreting the letters FAF may also depend on the locale and language of the person/group that commissioned it.

Not a lot to go on, but hope it helps. Always fun to research the mystery of medals and the like!