Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Medal in the News!

From the Gardiners' Chronicle, November 24, 1907:

Mr. Sheepshanks (gr. A. Dunkley) was also awarded the medal for the best professional exhibit in the show, and the 1st prize for 12 blooms of Japanese Incurved varieties.

imageimage

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome finding a contemporary account of the medal! Beautiful medal as well!
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My uncle received a San Francisco Schools Samuel Bridge Medal in 1895 and the award
    was noted in the San Francisco Call newspaper.

Samuel Bridge Medal awarded to Frank O'Donnell in 1895

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=824174

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like these personally inscribed medals that add the human touch to history and art.
    I recently purchased a Peabody medal, because of my link to George Peabody College for Teachers. This medal type was awarded to achieving high school students, back in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Maybe still.
    Anyway, I googled the name and much to my surprise, not only did I find this individual's relatively unusual name, but date-wise, appeared to be the same person. What made it particularly interesting was that her name was appearing in the Columbia University Bulletin, connecting with my ties to that institution. Very cool, indeed.

DPOTD
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You really have an eclectic taste harasha. I like this design a lot.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eclectic tastes, maybe, but actually I miss those periods of my life where I was able to concentrate on one area. Then, I felt I was contributing something.
    From about 12 years of age to about 24 or so, I was intent on ancients, especially Roman Imperial.
    For a very brief period of time, from about 1992 to 1997, Sasanid coins occupied much of my time.

These days, I just enjoy the history and art, going with the flow.

DPOTD
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Eclectic tastes, maybe, but actually I miss those periods of my life where I was able to concentrate on one area. Then, I felt I was contributing something. ...... These days, I just enjoy the history and art, going with the flow. >>

I've spent some of my most enjoyable hours chasing leads and poring over historical documents and specialty books attempting to decode the origins of an obscure medal in my collection.

I've often started an internet and literature search for "one more detail" on items you've posted. I usually stay up too late doing it and seldom find precise answers, but I always learn something and have fun doing it.

For what it's worth, I appreciate your contributions. My sleep schedule...not so much. image