Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

sgc grading vs. psa

On most auction sites I visit, even though psa grades and sgc grades may be the same, the sgc cards generally go for less money.
I have many sgc graded cards and can see no appreciable difference in the two companies grades. Has anyone else had this experience, and can comment on the difference.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all about the registry

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    It's all about the demand.

Most would say that the two companies grade in a comparable fashion. Some disagree, but most would acknowledge that differences are slight.

PSA cards, post war through 2000, are more desired than cards graded by other companies. Chalk that up to the Registry, marketing, or the self-fulfilling prophecy of being the market leader and submittors wanting to maximize value on their items---whatever it is, the combined effect is that PSA cards are more highly demanded than SGC.

What's the difference between Coke and RC Cola? Is it enough to explain the difference in market share?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion PSA's grading standards are stricter. This in itself makes a PSA 8 more valuable than a SGC 8.

There are other factors involved, but this is why PSA cards sell for more and that's why I decided to go with PSA graded cards.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In my opinion PSA's grading standards are stricter. This in itself makes a PSA 8 more valuable than a SGC 8. >>

That's a subjective assessment on the grading standards, there's no real way to prove it.

Ultimately I think it's mostly name recognition and the set registry that drives the demand.

If you "buy the card", there are some nice specimens in SGC holders that can be had for a solid discount to an equivalent PSA grade.
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In my opinion PSA's grading standards are stricter. This in itself makes a PSA 8 more valuable than a SGC 8.

There are other factors involved, but this is why PSA cards sell for more and that's why I decided to go with PSA graded cards. >>

]

I think you are correct generally, but I just broke out a 7.5 SGC and it graded 8 with PSA so there are always exceptions. SGC also doesn't offer "qualifiers" so you see many high grade cards that would get o/c qualifiers from PSA in the same grade. I would say generally SGC brings about 70-80 percent vs. PSA on vintage cards. Same goes for BVG.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    My SGC cards were much harder to move than the same cards (and grades) in PSA holders. A LOT harder! Almost felt like I had to give them away.

But I LOVE the SGC service...quick turn around, fair prices, quality cases. Their service is probably better than PSA's because they get less traffic.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

But I LOVE the SGC service...quick turn around, fair prices, quality cases. >>

I like their slabs as well. They have a nice smooth feel to them and the black insert really makes certain cards pop.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA over 90% market share of freshly graded cards. SGC less then 2%. Pretty simple.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    What's the difference between Coke and RC Cola? Is it enough to explain the difference in market share? >>

RC Cola has a "flat" taste to me over coke. But RC has better turnaround times
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad you can't combine the best of both. SGC case, pricing and customer service + demand for PSA would = perfect grading company from that standpoint. Grading between the companies is pretty equal, at least in my experience. Both have their pluses and minuses.
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Both have their pluses and minuses. >>

Very true.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    psa 75%
    beckett 20%
    sgc 5%
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    i have no statistical data to support this, but i have found each has their niche:

sgc - tobacco thru pre-war
    psa - post war - modern
    bvg - modern w/ a dash of stuff that doesn't make it into sgc/psa holders. sheet cards, star, etc.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my view, PSA has a definite stranglehold on the post-WWII/modern card market. This is where most of the Registry participants sit and play.

On the other hand, PSA and SGC are pretty much equal in the pre-WWII market. Many collectors feel SGC is actually better, especially regarding pre-WWI cards; but many others feel PSA is better.

As mentioned in a previous post, each company has its good and not-so-good points.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>psa 75%
    beckett 20%
    sgc 5% >>

No.

Dbcoin posted the image with the info that came from their conference call one quarter last year. Over 90%. I spoke to Joe Orlando at length about five years ago and they were already at 86%.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I dont doubt the numbers being presented, but would be curious to know exactly how those numbers are arrived at. Pretty sure you could look up the pop reports to discover some of this, but would have to take into account the time each has been in business and filter that and only count the cards graded in a given year to find the true percentage.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Page 16

This isn't the image I was looking for but from a slide show presentation. In the early 2000's there was a time that BGS had essentially caught them. A few years later PSA pulled ahead and never looked back and BGS submission levels imploded.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

For years I felt SGC was more true to the grade, by essential giving higher grades without qualifiers for centering. My last submission this was not the case. Cards that were psa 4oc came back as SGC 2s. If I wanted a technical grade "without qualifiers, I'd just send to psa and ask.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm comfortable with both of their assessments on a card's grade. That's pretty much where it ends though on things I care about. PSA gets the edge on everything else (for the record, I don't really care about turnaround time, at least not to the point we're at now).

• Options
    OdessafileOdessafile Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2018 9:16AM

Im a fan of stats and players from all teams....I visit ballparks all over and usually grab the home team cap and an appreciation for the local cultural tendencies..... I also collect vintage and new cards...I only buy PSA slabbed cards....SGC isnt as marketable and BGS I never grew into b/c of PSA..... I also send very few raw cards in for grading...thats not my thing ..though I can certainly appreciate the fun in that. IF u care about money, as I know some folks say they just do it for enjoyment, you will quickly come to the conclusion that PSA is consistently a better investment. And in a lot of cases the disparity in profit is strikingly high.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Odessafile said:
    Im a fan of stats and players from all teams....I visit ballparks all over and usually grab the home team cap and an appreciation for the local cultural tendencies..... I also collect vintage and new cards...I only buy PSA slabbed cards....SGC isnt as marketable and BGS I never grew into b/c of PSA..... I also send very few raw cards in for grading...thats not my thing ..though I can certainly appreciate the fun in that. IF u care about money, as I know some folks say they just do it for enjoyment, you will quickly come to the conclusion that PSA is consistently a better investment. And in a lot of cases the disparity in profit is strikingly high.

I agree with everything you said. I would only add that you can find some nice cards in SGC slabs at a discount that will cross to PSA. I've had some success with it. Admittedly, I only do it when the price is closer to the next grade lower in PSA, I can get a good look at the card, and I don't care if the card eventually ends up in the lower grade slab (I always crack). I would never do it if I "had" to have it cross.

Arthur

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am indifferent to PSA, SGC and old BVG back when they did subgrades. Will buy cards in any of the three and think they are pretty consistent.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't trade it straight up for a PSA 9 Fleer Drexler. For guys like Drexler, Lawrence Taylor a couple others I like getting the rookies, if available, SGC graded. Costs less in virtually all instances, and there's some nice looking cards in SGC slabs.