Home Sports Talk

Eli Manning wants to be highest-paid player in NFL(according to NFL.com)

lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
Okay so he's been on two SB winning teams but I just don't see this happening. I personally don't think he deserves it.

link

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He deserves more than Rivers just got, imo, but not to be the highest paid QB. Two rings, likely HOFer, the Giants will make it work.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He deserves more than Rivers just got, imo, but not to be the highest paid QB >>

Very true.
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    He might wind up there or close to it, just due to escalating salaries (esp for QBs), salary cap increasing, and good old inflation.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record incase anyone was wondering, I can't stand Eli Manning image
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eli's mother will not allow him to be paid more than Peyton as long as Peyton is still playing image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Anyone here that wouldn't prefer being the highest paid person in their profession?
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't even put him in the top 10......much less # 1!!!
    4 years and 84 million for the two-time Super Bowl MVP.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>4 years and 84 million for the two-time Super Bowl MVP. >>

I wonder if it included a pamphlet outlining certain aspects of the game.? Td's are worth 6 pts , fg's are worth 3 and if you have a chance to go up two scores, with under two mins to play, you should probably try to do it.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Giants are in no danger of winning another superbowl any time soon . Whats the point of having an 84 million dollar QB on a sub .500 team with a coach who's best days are in the rear-view mirror?

Cut Eli loose and hire Tim Tebow for league minimum and have the same record

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I wonder if it included a pamphlet outlining certain aspects of the game.? Td's are worth 6 pts , fg's are worth 3 and if you have a chance to go up two scores, with under two mins to play, you should probably try to do it. >>

+1

Steve

<< <i>

I wonder if it included a pamphlet outlining certain aspects of the game.? Td's are worth 6 pts , fg's are worth 3 and if you have a chance to go up two scores, with under two mins to play, you should probably try to do it. >>

True, but Eli does have two Super Bowl MVPs while Romo has never been (Philip Rivers either, for that matter). Just sayin'. image

<< <i>

<< <i>

True, but Eli does have two Super Bowl MVPs while Romo has never been (Philip Rivers either, for that matter). Just sayin'. image >>

Since we are now talking about QB's that have absolutely nothing to do with this thread, we may as well add every Jets QB since Namath to the list. Just sayin. image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

True, but Eli does have two Super Bowl MVPs while Romo has never been (Philip Rivers either, for that matter). Just sayin'. image >>

Since we are now talking about QB's that have absolutely nothing to do with this thread, we may as well add every Jets QB since Namath to the list. Just sayin. image >>

True again. But that further illustrates that Eli has had a much better career than a large number of QBs from many different teams. LOL..

<< <i> True again. But that further illustrates that Eli has had a much better career than a large number of QBs from many different teams. LOL.. >>

Well of course he has. I'm not sure who you think said that he didn't?

Even winning one sb bowl makes you have a better career than most. Heck, Donovan McNabb has had a better career than most getting to 4 Championship games and a subsequent sb.

<< <i>

<< <i> True again. But that further illustrates that Eli has had a much better career than a large number of QBs from many different teams. LOL.. >>

Even winning one sb bowl makes you have a better career than most. Heck, Donovan McNabb has had a better career than most getting to 4 Championship games and a subsequent sb. >>

OK, who had the better career, Jay Schroeder or Warren Moon? Mark Rypien or Dan Fouts? Trent Dilfer or Dan Marino? Jim McMahon or Fran Tarkenton?

Steve

<< <i>

<< <i>

Even winning one sb bowl makes you have a better career than most. Heck, Donovan McNabb has had a better career than most getting to 4 Championship games and a subsequent sb. >>

OK, who had the better career, Jay Schroeder or Warren Moon? Mark Rypien or Dan Fouts? Trent Dilfer or Dan Marino? Jim McMahon or Fran Tarkenton?

Steve >>

I used the term "better career" based on sb wins as opposed to stats. From a players point of view, a better career would be winning super bowls. Since football is a team sport and personal success should not be the goal, any player, imo would rather have championships rather than huge stats on an unsuccessful team.

edit: Just ask, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts, Dan Marino and Fran Tarkenton. They will tell you LMAO!

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Steve >>

I used the term "better career" based on sb wins as opposed to stats. From a players point of view, a better career would be winning super bowls. Since football is a team sport and personal success should not be the goal, any player, imo would rather have championships rather than huge stats on an unsuccessful team.

edit: Just ask, Warren Moon, Dan Fouts, Dan Marino and Fran Tarkenton. They will tell you LMAO! >>

I see where you're coming from, and I agree with you, that (with apologies to Herm Edwards), the object is to win championships. That's just the great conundrum, to me anyway; would you rather know that you'll be remembered as one of the all-time greats, or as simply a player who was lucky enough to have had, for one year, a great team around them. While the 1986 Bears, 1987 Redskins, 1991 Redskins and 2000 Ravens will probably be remembered for all-time as Super Bowl Champions, how many people will remember who the starting quarterback was for each team (well, with the Bears anyway, everyone will remember McMahon).

Here's an interesting question:

Everyone knows Nolan Ryan was a great pitcher for 27 seasons, and has the record for most strikeouts and no-hitters. How many people though, even today, remember that Nolan Ryan was a member of the World Series Champion 1969 New York Mets? How many people will there be in 20 years.....30 years.....50 years, who remember that?

Steve
    Well said Steve!

I'm a team guy. I would rather be remembered for decent numbers coupled with sb wins as opposed to gaudy numbers with nothing to show for it but the numbers themselves.

I think us fans put too much emphasis on player's numbers an stats while the players are focused on just winning. They should be anyway.

<< <i>Well said Steve!

I'm a team guy. I would rather be remembered for decent numbers coupled with sb wins as opposed to gaudy numbers with nothing to show for it but the numbers themselves.

I think us fans put too much emphasis on player's numbers an stats while the players are focused on just winning. They should be anyway. >>

Ahh, I think you just hit the nail squarely on the head Matt. It's a combination of both.....decent stats over your career, and a championship or two (or three.....) to add to the resume. That's why QBs like Montana, Elway, P Manning, Favre, Aikman, Bradshaw, Staubach and Starr are considered the cream of the crop. They all won championships, and they all had the personal stats to be remembered individually.

I am with you though, in that I'm more team-oriented also; but I would want to have the personal stats to back up/justify my place on the team. Otherwise, in my own mind anyway, I'd feel like I really didn't belong.....that I didn't really do my part.

Heck, who knows.....Eli still has some time to build his personal stats, to cement his place on the all-time QB list. He just needs to stop the stupid s#!t and take a refresher course in Pro Football-101 image

Steve
    I think when you're talking about all time great QBs rings are a significant component in a QB's legacy~not so much as to elevate a guy like Dilfer or to diminish a guy like Marino~but for many QBs, championship rings cement the legacy. The two rings and the two Super Bowl MVPs, including one against an unbeaten Patriots team, are the primary attributes for Manning and why he's in the discussion for the HOF. For him, no rings=no discussion.

The superbowl is a team effort I don't agree with the rings elevate the QB because that is only 2 games . The stats are a better idea of how he performs on a team that doesn't win.

Without the rings he is drew bledsoe-ish . As a pats fan I didn't miss Drew once Brady took over. After a year it was Drew -who? Get rid of Eli and put the next great QB on the Giants and it will be Eli-who ?

Given Eli's performances vs the Pats in two Super Bowls, including the one that ruined your perfect season, your assessment of Eli is not surprising.

You are also incorrect in your opinion that Super Bowl rings don't constitute a significant component to a QB's resume for HOF consideration.

<< <i>Given Eli's performances vs the Pats in two Super Bowls, including the one that ruined your perfect season, your assessment of Eli is not surprising.

You are also incorrect in your opinion that Super Bowl rings don't constitute a significant component to a QB's resume for HOF consideration. >>

Wait, I didn't say anything about HOF consideration , I was addressing the 84 million highest paid aspect.

I'm thinking for his career his TD/INT ratio isn't good enough , his QB rating doesn't impress either. I didn't like the big payday Joe Flacco got a few years ago either. Flacco is comparable to Eli in that he is generally uninspiring in the regular season but comes up big in big games. I don't think Joe would ever tell his running back not to score thoughimage

If there is a vote for most deserving to be the highest paid QB in the league I'd probably go with Aaron Rodgers , then Brady , then Drew Brees I guess .

1:Rodgers
    2:Brady
    3:Brees
    4:Big Ben
    5: Luck
    6: Rivers
    tied for 7: Romo , Flacco ,Eli (too close to call)
    8imageeyton for previous efforts , he is finished now with no arm
    don't care about the rest of the scrubs

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has nothing (much) to do with how good he is. It's about leverage. I can assure you if the Giants had a backup that was promising, Eli's chances would be slim.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set