Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWPs - Ancient Texas, German States, GB, Sweden?

I had a very bad week last week, everything I wanted to bid on got out of my price range in a hurry. I've had much better luck this week though. The first piece here didn't sell in the Heritage weekly so I made an offer on it and was accepted today, the rest went extremely cheap in todays Stacks sale, not the highest numerical grades but tough coins none the less.

Ancient Texas:

Ok, maybe not, but if we had coins in Ancient Texas I'm sure they would have included cows and horses. Too heavily cleaned obviously, hence why I didn't want to pay the price in the auction, but still acceptable for me.

THESSALY. Trikka. Ca. 440-400 BC. AR hemidrachm (2.52 gm). Bull wrestler grabbing horns of bull to right, petasos and cape fluttering behind / Forepart of bridled horse right in square incuse. HGC 4, 311. NGC XF 5/5 - 3/5.

1718 George I Shilling, NGC 63. I've needed one of the 1st bust coins but they are generally very expensive, this one was about half what the previous 2 sold for and looks just as nice.

1792 Saxony 2 Groschen, NGC 63. You know I like these German minors, and some of the 18th C. pieces are really tough to find in uncirculated.

1813 Zurich 40 Batzen, NGC 64. This particular coin ex-Grundy collection sold off starting in 2009, and purchased by Q. David Bowers.

1898 Sweden 10 Ore, part of my random collection of neat coins. NGC PF66, no mintages listed for these but seemingly tiny. Although I have seen proofs for various years this is the only one graded for 1898.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice lot Jeff.

Never seem the Thessaly piece which someone resembles my recent purchase in design.
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    I'll admit that you pulled me in with the Ancient Texas bit. image

Some nice pieces, Jeff. The toning on that 2 groschen, and the overall appearance of the reverse in particular, is exceptional.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    You have a lot to be happy about there Jeff. That's quite a group.

Question though, what about the Thessaly makes you think it is too heavily cleaned? I don't deal in a ton of XF silver from that period so what am I missing? Sorry if that is a rank amateur question.

I love the GI shilling. I stick to copper but every time I see a piece of this quality I just want to collect all of the British. All. Of. It.

The Zurich piece is quite beautiful and the Sweden proof is really stunning in a subdued way with the gun metal and light blue toning.

Insta-jealous.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Nicolasz, I don't have it in hand yet but from the brightness and granular look of the flan it appears to have been pretty harshly cleaned. But that's something that is pretty normal on the average coin of the period.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Thanks JCM. I thought that the granularity might be part of what you were thinking. But glad to learn for sure. Thanks!
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great newps - like em all - the 40 Batzen is really sweet!
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Nice additions. I like the ancient. I can see, where it has to be cleaned to not have any original patina for a coin of that period.

• Options
    zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Nice issues....l like the proof Sweden, strong details .
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff - love the patina on the things you post. The Zurich in particular has nice originality.