Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I think PCGS Missed this one?

1888/7 the listed it as regular date
What say you?

Comments

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I don't know that series, but you convinced me.
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    If they don't recognize the over date for one of the registry sets then they will label it as the standard date. You will have to call and discuss with the expert. Many years ago I had such a conversation with Ron Guth regarding a re-punched Canadian 5c variety. He agreed with my assessment and the catalogue references I presented as evidence of acceptance in the collector community and it got added to the variety set.

edit to add: the references I used had clear photos of the variety. The 1888/7 is in the composition list of the 8 reales, so now does your photos match the accepted photos for the variety?
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If they don't recognize the over date for one of the registry sets then they will label it as the standard date. You will have to call and discuss with the expert. Many years ago I had such a conversation with Ron Guth regarding a re-punched Canadian 5c variety. He agreed with my assessment and the catalogue references I presented as evidence of acceptance in the collector community and it got added to the variety set.

edit to add: the references I used had clear photos of the variety. The 1888/7 is in the composition list of the 8 reales, so now does your photos match the accepted photos for the variety? >>

AN NGC Certified Piece

• HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    very obvious in comparison! good eye, tuck!
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Give 'em a call or email to arrange getting it fixed.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome find! image
  • dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I agree with you, there is something there. We might have run into a case where the book and the grading services are different. The book, Resplandores, has a pic of the 1888/7 Zs that shows a more pronounced dash of the seven in the upper loop of the last eight. the other third party grading service has consistently graded the 8/7 overdates across all mints by the evidence of a line outside of the eight without the dash of the seven, similar to the pic provided above.

If you are grading by the book, which is somewhat out of date, then it does not work.

Varieties in this series are getting similar to the Morgan dollar series, there are more being discovered recently than the books or the grading services recognize. It may require more time and collector interest for this to become something of note.