Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was listed at a $30K BIN, or "best offer", and it says the best offer was accepted. In other words, it did not go for $30K.

That being said, that is the first Gretzky rookie I've seen where the Oilers' logo (including the drop of oil) at the bottom right, was centered within the black circle. It's a hair low, but that logo is nearly always found noticibly OC. It is next to impossible to find one that's centered anywhere near that well.

Steve
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Offers

Not sure what it sold for. All of the offers show declined.

• Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    I spoke to a representative from Mile High at the East Coast National in New York yesterday who was displaying a sweet PSA 9 OPC Gretzky RC for their fall auction preview. He seemed to think that the card will fetch around 12K based on current market value. It didn't have the rough cut edges but every other box was checked with this example and I think most would consider it worthy of the grade. This is just one person's opinion. The market is unpredictable right now for iconic RCs but I would think the card probably sold for around this number.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    Doesn't look like it sold. Card was relisted.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    also this seller acquires and cuts tons of sheets. not claiming anything with this particular card, just fyi.
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭
    On Thursday the Government submitted its papers for the Mastro sentencing and it included a 2008 conversation between Mastro and a Confidential Witness about baseball cards he was selling that were graded by PSA:
    "You think that all these PSA cards we’re auctioning are, aren’t unaltered? They’re all altered. The alteration going on, it is unbelievable in our hobby right now. Okay. There’s not a sheet that gets auctioned off that isn’t cut up. Every sheets getting cut up. Goud(e)y sheets, Diamond Star sheets, basketball sheets, every sheet you see in the auction is being bought by someone who is cutting them up."
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I hate when dealers tout a card as bump-worthy when you know darn well that they already went down that road and failed.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hate when dealers tout a card as bump-worthy when you know darn well that they already went down that road and failed. >>

I wonder if this is already a bumped card?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

<< <i>I hate when dealers tout a card as bump-worthy when you know darn well that they already went down that road and failed. >>

Agree.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mastro comments make me feel a little queasy.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    I hate reading innuendos like this. Makes you wonder.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    I see that the Gretzky PSA 9 OPC went for $26,600. I am almost positive when I joined the board it was in the 6k range. What a move higher!

• Options
    The PSA 10 is live and at 200k+BP with 22+ days to go. 500k is probably coming.
  • Options
    Wait, it was relisted? I just bought one for $24K in a private sale!
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The opc gretzky is so iconic I think it still could go higher. The only problem is that my checkbook can't.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Link to the Goldin Auction:

PSA 10 1979 OPC Gretzky
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    i hate being the guy that criticizes the PSA 10 copies, but I hate this psa 10 (especially as the only in existence):

- back has a print stain by the skate towards the bottom
    - Front L/R centering could be better
    - oilers tear drop not centered
    - registration could be off (or my eyes are playing with me)
    - fair amount of snow in Edmonton
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shu4040,

I agree, I saw all the same problems before reading your post. I don't think this card is a good looking PSA 10 and very far from a great looking 10.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)