Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Ron Santo White Whale Has Arrived PART II Updated in first post

Just received it today. Been waiting for a perfect example of this card in the right price for many years. UPDATE- Now I have the other piece to the rookie puzzle

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, that's a huge score!
  • SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just received it today. Can't figure out how to post the image but here is the link. Been waiting for a perfect example of this card in the right price for many years.

1961 Topps Ron Santo Rookie PSA 10 >>

Congrats on this Sweet card. Great player. Unfortunately, no rings, but a well deserved HOFer.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    congrats!

go to your inventory page.

hit "view item"

click on the image.

copy link in the address bar.

click the "pic" icon above next to the "U" when you go to make a post

paste that link into the script box that pops up.

hopefully that helps...i find it much easier than photobucket way + you only have to upload your cards once.

again, huge card and congrats!

edit: did I just buy a card from you? putting at night...don't forget a name like ty web!
  • tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    Thanks guys.
    Thanks for the tip and yes I think you did buy a card from me recently.

Be the ball!

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Nathan

That is one spectaculariciousos card.

Santo was one of my fav players all time.

I only do basic sets ...my santo set is at #7 100%

Gotta love Ernie also.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • That's a pretty big card there. Congrats. You must be ecstatic.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the world of 61Ts it doesn't get much better - great centering!

Congratulations on snagging your whale
    Mike
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just received it today. Been waiting for a perfect example of this card in the right price for many years.

image >>

Wow! That is a great score. Congrats on landing the whale. With a POP 8 this card does not become available very often. Patience paid off.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AWESOME CARD. Now enjoy it.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful card! Congrats.

I listen to a lot of Cubs radio broadcasts at work, I miss Santo dearly. Recently made my first trip back to Wrigley since he passed, definitely felt like something was missing knowing he wasn't there. Ernie too, especially when talking to Ronnie Woo-Woo at the foot of Ernie's statue.
    I definitely miss hearing Ron's voice and passion on the radio. I know he is enjoying his Cubbies this year for sure.

Thanks guys
  • Congrats awesome card especially with the beautiful 10! Can I ask how much you got it for?
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woo hoo!!! Big ups to a great card!
    Daniel

<< <i>Congrats awesome card especially with the beautiful 10! Can I ask how much you got it for? >>

$4999
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Very strong card. It doesn't get any better than that.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice card. May it bring you many years of enjoyment. I admire your dedication.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • What a great card! Congrats on harpooning that BEAST!!
  • QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    I loved viewing you master set The 67 punch out and stand up are awesome. I love the run of bazooka boxes too I didn't know that the dunkin donut bumper sticker existed. Cool stuff
    A couple questions for you :
    What is the difference in the two 68 bazooka panels ? Drysdale "A"?
    I didn't see a full 68 action sticker panel listed. Do you need one? I may have a extra #4?
    What santo items do you still need?
    Do you have any bazooka stuff for sale( with or without santo )

Thanks for sharing your collection. The new 61 is awesome !
    Scott
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, that card is the best!!!
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd

<< <i>I loved viewing you master set The 67 punch out and stand up are awesome. I love the run of bazooka boxes too I didn't know that the dunkin donut bumper sticker existed. Cool stuff
    A couple questions for you :
    What is the difference in the two 68 bazooka panels ? Drysdale "A"?
    I didn't see a full 68 action sticker panel listed. Do you need one? I may have a extra #4?
    What santo items do you still need?
    Do you have any bazooka stuff for sale( with or without santo )

Thanks for sharing your collection. The new 61 is awesome !
    Scott >>

Scott,
    I do have both the 4 and the no numbered full sticker of Ron Santo. Not sure why he was on 2 of them but I have them both. No other Bazooka stuff for sale. The 2 1968 bazooka panels differ only in one has Brock and one has Cepeda. Here is another variation that I own.

• RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, that's s big card.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    Wow, beautiful

Congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Awesome card!!

Brian
    I have no collecting direction. I just buy stuff!
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Is the 68 Plaks checklist and his associated Plak not part of his master sets ?

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    Thanks again guys. No plaks checklist in the master set yet. PSA overgraded an example long ago so I haven't added it to the set since all the other checklist since that have been just graded authentic.
    Updated the initial post with this beauty

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet looking card! My kind of PSA 10!!!
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    That's a stunner. Congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one great looking card!

Shane

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Thx for sharing

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    tyweb1--- Not that it would mean anything extraordinary to a super Ron Santo collector as yourself, but did you perchance happen to catch my feature article on Ron Santo that appeared in the September 7, 2012 issue of SPORTS COLLECTORS DIGEST? It was their 2012 National Convention issue. It was an honor they waited to run it until the National SCD. Not to pat myself, but I did receive several notes of thanks on the piece. As a Santo connoisseur, and writing as one who "grew up" as a tween rooting for Ronnie, I just thought you might appreciate it.

Regardless, as I have written to you before on these boards, you have, far and away, the most marvelous collection to be had of Ron Santo. Well done, my fellow collecting warrior. -- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
    Originally posted by: IndianaJones
    tyweb1--- Not that it would mean anything extraordinary to a super Ron Santo collector as yourself, but did you perchance happen to catch my feature article on Ron Santo that appeared in the September 7, 2012 issue of SPORTS COLLECTORS DIGEST? It was their 2012 National Convention issue. It was an honor they waited to run it until the National SCD. Not to pat myself, but I did receive several notes of thanks on the piece. As a Santo connoisseur, and writing as one who "grew up" as a tween rooting for Ronnie, I just thought you might appreciate it.

Regardless, as I have written to you before on these boards, you have, far and away, the most marvelous collection to be had of Ron Santo. Well done, my fellow collecting warrior. -- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

Brian,

I did not see that article. Do you have a link that I could view? Thanks for your kinds words as well.
  • Awesome card!

Edit to add: Al, the checklist certainly could/should be added, but PSA does not grade the Plaks themselves, as far as I can tell.
  • IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    tyweb1-----Howdy friend, if you can PM me your email address, I can have my son load up the original article I wrote on Mr. Santo. Editor Tom Bartsch hardly had to change a thing, just leaving out a couple sentences, and I mean two. I sure hope you will enjoy it. It was written with a heart of love for the man and the player, and a catharsis of anger at the Old Timers' Committee, though the latter constituted but 1.5% of the entire piece. Oh, I should say that I had not seen Ronnie's HOF plaque prior to the article's release!

The article may not be another Ron Santo item to place in your bulging display tribute to him, but I for one love stories from someone who was a native fan during the years a player starred. Being born in 1954, I began watching the Cubs on Channel 9 in 1967, of all years. It was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After the news came out that Ron Santo had FINALLY been elected to the HOF, I was mad more than glad, and things started going through my mind that I wanted to express about our former captain. The result was the SCD piece.

Now, it may take until the weekend, buddy. My son works third shift, while I am on second. My wife is way behind me, computer-tech knowledge-wise. Regardless, back in 2012 she lovingly listened to me as I read the completed article to her, and commented on any changes I needed to make. My darlin's good for that.

You have more than earned the kind words on your fabulous Ron Santo collection. Wish we could meet, but then you'll get the article and meet me in that. Ha!

Best regards, Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)