Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Newest project: Slum22's 1986 Fleer PSA 9 Set--Updated with scans of new cards 7/16/2016 (Warning: S

After completing my first registry set, the 1961 Fleer BK set, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do another set. When I did decide to start another set, it was a no brainer what my next choice would be. I don't have the budget or attention span for a baseball or even football set, so it would have to be basketball. My favorite set in any sport has always been 1986 Fleer BK. I first started collecting this set in the early 90's as a junior high and high schooler. I remember trading for my first 1986 Fleer singles with a cl*****mate in the 8th grade: a trimmed Kareem, Mychal Thompson and a severely OC Dr. J. I would do much better in my next purchases, which were from my LCS, F&F Sportscards. I purchased a sharp but slightly OC Karl Malone RC and a Mint Michael Jordan RC (it took months of saving up to get the MJ). My brother and I would go around card shows picking up more raw cards for the set until we stopped collecting a few years later.

Around 2002, I briefly got back into collecting for a few months and picked up my first graded cards some PSA 8 and PSA 9 cards. I had stopped collecting before TPG so I was amazed at how much more strict PSA's Nm-Mt and Mint were compared to what p*****ed for these grades in the early 90's. I set about upgrading my set and purchased more raw lots as well as some examples of PSA 8's and PSA 9's so I could compare to what I had in the raw set. I stopped collecting again shortly after that only to return again around 2005 or so. This time, I had a good job and money to spend, so I purchased my first PSA 10's. I collected for a little bit until I met my future wife. Collecting again went on the backburner and my PSA 10's were sold around 2008 to help buy things for the baby.

Around 2012 I again got back in the hobby and I resumed collecting the 1986 Fleer set and also began the 1961 Fleer set. For the 1986 Fleer set, my challenge was that I had all kinds of cards, BGS 9.5 and BGS 9, PSA 10, 9 and 8. I couldn't decide what grade would work the best for me in this set. So I decided to focus on the 1961 set first because I already had the 1986 set ungraded and because it had a smaller checklist, it seemed easier to do. Anyway, flash forward to now and I am back in the saddle and looking to finally finish a graded version of the 1986 Fleer set. I just sold off the majority of my PSA 8 cards and I am focused squarely on completing my set in 9. My goal is to add cards at good values over time and I hope to have the set finished by the end of the year.

Like my previous 1961 Fleer thread, I plan to update this thread as I get new additions. I will post the new additions in future posts and in the original post I plan to update the whole set as I go. All the cards I have currently are pictured and the black spaces are where the missing cards will go when I get them. Hopefully, before too long there will be no more black spaces and there will be a beautiful sea of red, blue and yellow below. Anyway, if you made it this far, thanks for reading my back story and without further ado, here are the cards:

Current progress: 101/132 --My registry says I still need 33 cards but that is because whoever has Walter Davis and Bill Laimbeer won't release the cards from their registry set and I haven't had the time to email PSA yet.

1 4
5 8
9 12
13 16
17 20
21 24
25 28
29 32
33 36
37 40
41 44
45 48
49 52
53 56
57 60
61 64
65 68
69 72
73 76
77 80
81 84
85-88
89 92
93 96
97 100
101 104
105 108
109 112
113 116
117 120
121 124
125 128
129 132
Steve

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Good luck Steve! Keep us updated on your set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm working on a PSA 9 and a PSA 8 set it's FUN
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Great set! You are pretty far along. 1986 Fleer is just the right size set to not get overwhelmed. Thanks for sharing.
  • That's a great start to your set, looks like you have a bunch of the big boys knocked out already. I've been working on a pristine 89 Hoops set (my favorite), it's crazy how many guys changed teams in just a few years. Good luck on your hunt!

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Wow, your set looks great so far! Really looking forward to more updates on this thread!
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Doug and Dan--Thanks for your words of encouragement. They are always appreciated. I should have an update or two next week as I have just worked out a deal today with a great board member here as well as picking up a few more in a recent auction.

Rynoandbo--Your pic of your set all stacked up is an inspiration for me on my set. Can't wait to get there. Of course I'd trade them all for one of those Gem MJ's like you've got. Someday.

Halosfan--It definitely is fun. Like I said, I was doing the set it 9 and 8 but decided it was getting too expensive so I sold most of my 8's and put the money towards more 9's. How close are you?

Tim--Yup. Got the big one out of the way early. I just won a Mullin RC last week so I just need the Isiah and the Worthy for big RC's. I need Kareem and the checklist as well as a few low pop commons like Johnny Moore, but it should be pretty doable from here. Just trying to stay on budget and find deals on set breaks and lots. You know how it goes.

Steve
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    So cool Steve, I like that you're at a point where it probably feels attainable yet still plenty of work left, awesome!!!
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I know the Kareem is not a PSA 9. The BGS will be a placeholder until I either get a PSA 9 or try to cross this one. I think it has a shot.

I would say so, BGS is tougher on 80's Fleer basketball than PSA.
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Steve, You just made some nice progress! Good Luck the rest of the way. I have built this so many times, I love these cards.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
    Steven--Thanks man. Yup, this is a sweet spot in the set building process. I feel good that I am more than halfway there, but there is still plenty of cards I need so there is almost always a card available every week for me to pick up until I get closer to finishing the set.

vladguerrero--I appreciate the feedback on the Kareem. I don't want to jinx it but I think it has a good chance too. One of these days I will send in a review/cross sub and include this card.

Matt--You may know the great board member I was talking about earlierimage Thanks for working with me on the deal for your lot.

Anyway, happy to update the thread with a couple huge pick ups for me. As alluded to before Matt was nice enough to let me pick through his PSA 9 selection and get me a sweet deal on 8 cards I needed for my set including HOFer Dr. J and some low pop commons (LaSalle Thompson and Marques Johnson). Big thanks Matt, always good to work with you. Right before making that deal was my first foray into non eBay auction. I picked up a four card lot from Sirius Sports Card auctions and I am happy to report everything went smoothly with the transaction. I will definitely check their auctions again in the future. Picked up a very big HOF RC, Chris Mullin in that auction lot. Here are the scans of the recent pick ups. I also updated the collage on the first post with these cards and I am happy to knock off 9% of the set here.
    Steve
    Alright, another update is in order. This edition takes me to 86/132 or 65% to completion, just 2 cards away from being 2/3 there. I won these auctions a while ago but it took a while for them to get shipped so I just got them this week. A special thanks to our own DJR, who kindly hooked me up with one of my seven new cards. He upgraded his set with a Gem and generously reached out to me to see if I needed a Mint Sparrow, which I did. I was happy to be able to knock out one of the last HOF RC's in the set that I need. The Bad Boy himself, Isiah Thomas. IMO, the most underrated superstar of the 80's and the greatest player ever at his size or under. Just need a Worthy and this is it for the HOF RC's. I was also able to pick up a Jeff Malone at a reasonable price, which is one of the low pop commons in the set, so I am happy about that. Only a handful of low pop commons left including Johnny Moore himself (at least I'm not doing the set in 10). Anyway, the new cards are below and the set in the original post is updated to include all the cards below. As always, thanks for following along.
    Steve
  • pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Great looking set. Good luck. I want to go after this set too. 86 Fleer is on fire. I saw heavy buying activity on these at the National. With packs in the $750+ range, common PSA 9's could take off again. I know there is still a good supply out there, but demand keeps increasing. 88 Fleer has been moving sky high too. (wish I hung on to those Pippen and Miller RC's) Drexler is over a grand now too in a 10.
  • pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Are you going to try to do the stickers too?
    Phelda--Sorry for the delay in reply. Thanks for the nice words on my set. PSA 9's were on fire in the summer but seem to have stabilized and even backed up a little now. With packs at $750 it makes sense for the underlying cards to rise some in value too. I think this is the classic set for modern collectors and will always be in great demand. Yes, I plan on doing the stickers too, although I am really trying to hold out and only buy them when I can find good deals. I have tried to be patient and build this set largely with cards purchased below VCP.

Steve
    I took a little break from building this set as I went big game hunting for a few cards that have been on my wantlist for a while. After scratching those off, I resumed this set with a handful of cards purchased from Sirius sports auctions and a few more from eBay. I am very happy with the service from Sirius auctions, they ship very quickly and it may be a coincidence, but all the PSA cards I have purchased have come with the new holders and hologram flips which I like. I was also lucky to win all of these cards at very fair prices IMO. I am trying to keep a tighter budget with my hobby spending this year so I am trying to get into every card in this set at VCP or lower from here on out. I am happy to claim my Moore for right at $100, this is the infamous low pop common in the set that went for $12k this summer. The checklist was the most expensive card left for me to acquire, so it should be pretty smooth sailing from here. Just have to find some nice deals in the next few months. Here are the recent pick ups, on top are the Sirius pick ups and then the eBay pick ups.
    Steve
  • About time you updated us on this project! Some decent stars in this latest lot and I really dig the old school bullets and nuggets unis.
    Dan--Yes this project has taken a back burner as I have been focusing on picking up some major HOF RC's as well as adding to my Anthony Davis and Steph Curry PC's. I have gotten back into the 86 game in the last few weeks and finally have time for an update. I agree, I much prefer the old Bullets and Nuggets uniforms to the present day ones.

Anyway, here are the recent pick ups. With these I have managed to get over 75% complete. I am very happy as most of these are in the new holders with the holo flips and I really like how sharp they are for 9's. The Bowie and Thompson are a little off L/R but the Worthy is the money card in this lot and is really sharp IMO. I have mostly commons to go from here as I believe Worthy is the last HOF RC in the set that I needed to get. It also seems like 86's have cooled a little in PSA 9 from the summer so hopefully the rest of the set will come in under budget.
    Steve
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice additions. I wish I had the discipline to finish a nicely graded set. You are putting together an outstanding 86 set. Good luck finishing up with the commons.
  • SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    After watching Kobe Bryant live last night, I would of thought he would be in this set.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice additions. I'm glad to see that you are working on this set again. Good luck with the rest of the cards.

James

JBrules and James--Thanks for the encouragement. I am happy to make these additions. My goal is to stay on budget and get this set finished up in 2016. I am very close, so as long as I am able to resist buying any more major RC's I should be able to make additions pretty consistently. No promises on holding off on major RC's thoughimage

JB--Kobe and Peyton are showing their years. I am around the same age as them. I obviously play and have played at far lower levels than those guys, but I absolutely feel what they are going through. It is a hard thing when you are used to being able to do things on the court and the field and one day you wake up and you just can't move that fast or jump that high. Kobe keeps himself in great shape and is his work ethic is legendary. That is probably what makes this so hard to watch, because he physically doesn't look that different than when he was putting 81 on people. But he just can't make the moves anymore. I have always been a Warriors fan and Kobe has rubbed me the wrong way for much of his career, but I always respected his work ethic and what he brought to the game. Hope he hangs it up at the end of the year. Top 10-15 player all time. I need to pick up his Topps Chrome RC soon.
    Steve
    No updates on this thread recently as I haven't had any new pick ups in a while. I have started looking to make more additions recently and have been surprised to see that prices have come down some from the highs of last summer. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Steve
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: slum22
    No updates on this thread recently as I haven't had any new pick ups in a while. I have started looking to make more additions recently and have been surprised to see that prices have come down some from the highs of last summer. Has anyone else noticed this?

Steve, I am definitely noticing that the prices are coming down on these cards from this past summers peak. I kind of expected it in talking to a few people about the prices. As someone currently buying, its nice to see it happening now, but its also all relative. By comparison of what my first set cost me to build.....These prices are SKY high!

Good Luck on the last 25% you need.

Matt
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Great set! What were commons selling for last Summer? I have picked up around twenty for $10-15 per card.

I am doing in PSA 9 commons and PSA stars /checklist and tough commons.
    What are some of the toughest PSA 9's besides Wilkins and Johnny Moore?
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
    Thanks, it's a fun set to do and a great challenge. $10-15 is a good price for the commons. They were running $15-25 for basic commons this past summer. Not sure what caused that spike.

Off the top of my head, the condition sensitive cards in this set include:

Kareem
    Blackmon
    Brad Davis
    Vern Fleming
    Derek Harper
    Marques Johnson
    Steve Johnson
    Lewis Lloyd
    Jeff Malone
    Chris Mullin
    Paul Pressey
    Kurt Rambis
    Byron Scott
    Isiah Thomas
    Spud Webb
    Dominique Wilkins
    Orlando Woolridge
    James Worthy
    Checklist

These cards will all cost significantly more than they otherwise should on higher grades. Good luck,

Steve

Steve
  • ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    I missed this thread - I love this set and its great to see your progress!
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
    I haven't had many upgrades to this set recently. But in my January sub I was able to pop two new PSA 9's that I didn't have: Gerald Henderson and Kurt Rambis. I also got another PSA 9 of Sedale Threatt that I changed over in my set because I like the new holder. I have updated the first post to show the new cards in the set.
    Steve
    It's been a while since I updated this set. I took a break from this set for a while to concentrate on other projects. I have been pretty active in the past month and now I am down to my final 7 cards. Check out the scans of the near complete set in the first post as I have updated it with all the cards I have up to now. Thanks for following along.
    Steve
  • Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely beautiful cards Steve. This is my next project. I still don't know if I want to do it all in PSA 8's or just the Jordan in an 8 and the rest in NMMT raw.

This would be such a fun set to do if shows and shops were more prevalent.
  • lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a great iconic set. I wish I could afford to do a set like the 86 fleer basketball. has anyone tried a 96/97 topps chrome set.