Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Day At the National. Double White Whale Status Achieved!!!

This was my second National, and it was a good one. I work a pretty fun summer job where I do pretty well in tips, and that money I set aside for my collection. Since I wasn't able to go to the National last year, there was some carry over from last summer, so I was pretty ready to rock if I could find what I was looking for. I had been looking forward to today since early April.

I left Milwaukee at around 9am, and it was about 10:45 when I arrived to the convention center. I took a "quick" lap to try to take everything in, which took me until about 12:45. Lots of great items I'd love to have in my collection someday, but I was really only focused on a few items: A well centered 1954 Hank Aaron, preferably in a 6, a 1950 and 1953 mid grade Jackie Robinson, and possibly some unopened boxes.

I spotted a few 54 Aarons, none of which were peaking my interest, but right around 1:30 I spotted one that struck my eye. I talked to the head dealers assistant (father?) for a minute, but kept moving. It was time for a beer and a trip to BBCE.

BBCE, as always, was stacked. Lotsa cool items from autos to unopened (1967 Topps Cello Break anybody?), I did a lap around their setup just admiring everything before I decided the time was right to complete my run of unopened wax boxes from 1979-1989. I had all the Fleer and Donruss from the 80's but still needed the two biggies: 1979 and 1980. BOOM. 1979 was the one box I thought I would never get, but the price was right and I had the cash, so I was stoked to pick it up. There was also one box left of 1983 Topps Michigan on the shelf, so I snagged that too.

Being a Brewers collector, I also picked up this check signed by Bud Selig. There were about 10 checks to choose from, I opted to forget about looking at dates (all from the 70's), and take the one made out for the most money, ha. I don't think any of the signatures stood out being significantly better than the other, so I wasn't too concerned about that.

After picking up those items, BBCE was more than willing to set aside my boxes so I didn't need to lug em around all day. I talked to Rick for a few minutes about unopened trends before meeting up with the 2pm message board crew. Uncertain about who I was actually looking for I approached a small group of guys and it ended up being the squad I was looking for. For about 45 minutes I talked with CPAMIKE, KGibson, ChiefsFan, Stone193, CaptainThreePutt and a few more guys who's usernames don't come to mind right now (sorry fellas!). Though we didn't do any ripping, we discussed what we were looking for, previous Nationals, the hobby in general, etc. It was great to meet all of you!

From there, I walked by the Aaron I had my eyes on again and the 5 that had also been there was now gone. (It too was a beauty!). I decided I was gonna do one more lap and take off, figuring I'd once again hold out until I found the right Aaron on eBay (which obviously worked well the previous two years, heh). As I was doing my final lap I ran into a local dealer I knew and talked with him for a bit. After talking with him I decided to walk back to the dealer with the Aaron and see how much we could negotiate. When I got there CPAMIKE was there and he quickly introduced me to Jeff (AKA CardCountry) who was running the table. We haggled for a minute but I again passed. However, this card was super well centered and it was the best 6 on the floor.

I went back to BBCE and grabbed my bag. I introduced myself to Steve (who recognized my name from previous purchases), so we talked for a few minutes. I know Steve knows his stuff, so I asked his opinion on the card and showed him a pic I had taken with my phone. After looking at it, he felt the price was strong but fair, and told me that I can sit on eBay waiting it out like I did the last two years, hoping to maybe save some money, or I can pull the trigger now. Steve emphasized that HOF rookies are all climbing, and chances are the price will be even greater by next years National. I trust his opinion, so after thanking him, I went back to Jeff's stand, walked up and said "Let's do it!"

I'm not sure how you other guys felt once you landed your white whale, but I was literally shaking with excitement. I had been ready to make this purchase for a few years now but never found the right one, or talked myself out of it for one reason or another. To actually hold it and know it was now mine was a pretty incredible rush. I told Jeff "Just two things, don't tell my wife how much these cost, and we're taking a picture together"

Soon after a handful of people including CPAMIKE started giving me high fives, it was pretty great. Here's an up close scan of it.

After talking and more high fiving, I joked to the guys that I needed to go buy a victory beer (which I promptly did) to calm down a little bit before I drove home. I then proceeded to text all my buddies that knew I was on the hunt while enjoying my adult beverage before taking off. Didn't come across the Jackie's I was hoping for, but that's quite alright. I'm looking forward to another hunt for another time. Excellent day, the only downfall was getting in the car to find out that Roddy Piper passed away, but all and all a very successful Natty!!!

-Corey

Comments

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Totally rad! Congrats on the completed run, but big props on the Aaron.

Jeff is great to work with and has a great eye.

Not much compares to landing that whale.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great recap and congrats on the Aaron, which is a beauty!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Great recap Corey. That's true what Steve said. Prices are going sky high and in the next year, the price you today may be a deal come this time next year. Congrats on your wax boxes and the Aaron rookie. That card has skyrocketed in the past year.
  • graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on a beautiful card. You'll never get tired of looking at it.
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats and great card! You cannot go wrong with an Aaron rookie, and he had several nice ones including a monster PSA 7 that sold right before I got there - Jeff always has incredible inventory and is the best to work with. FYI - he picked up a stunning PSA 8 late in the day that won't last long. Aaron rookies along with Clemente's are on fire.
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sweet Aaron rookie. Congrats.
  • RobbyRobby Posts: 656 ✭✭✭
    Glad you got your White Whale ! Your recap made me feel like I was
    right there at the National ! Very nice Aaron Rookie !

Robbieimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • MilehighHOFMilehighHOF Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Aaron RC! His RC is one of my favorite cards so I always enjoy seeing nice copies like the one you bought. Enjoy it!
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story and congrats on the Aaron card. It's nice to have all these reports coming in about the National for the folks who aren't there.
    Daniel
  • kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    It was great meeting you and congratulations on your finds!
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Corey, it was also great meeting you. I was standing at the booth when secured the purchase. Having seen that card first-hand, you picked yourself an amazing specimen. Congrats!
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great story and congrats on the Aaron card. It's nice to have all these reports coming in about the National for the folks who aren't there. >>

I agree and I love seeing all the pictures!
    Congrats on your white whale.
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Aaron, and it was great to read. Love the picture of you holding up the card! image Sometimes when it comes to the white whale its better to be there to person to purchase it since cards sometimes look different in hand than they do online. Now, there is no doubt that you will enjoy the card, which is the most important.

Jeremy
  • AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    I know how you feel with that aaron. i remember dreaming of having the rookie as a kid in 1980's. Never thought id actually get one but finally did at White Plains show about 3 years ago. SGC 6. Never gets old looking at it
  • jessherronjessherron Posts: 182 ✭✭
    Great story - congratulations
    1981 Topps in Process
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    NICE!!!

Congrats on the pick ups
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Awesome Pick-ups!
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Corey,

Congrats on the very sharp Aaron RC. That is exactly the card I've been looking for over the past year or so. Great job pulling the trigger. I've heard great things about Card Country. I will have to message him after National.
    Steve
  • VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭
    Price?
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    thats a great looking 6...congrats....love dealing with jeff at cardcountry
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a pleasure to meet you Corey.

I had a great time at the National.

Meeting all of you was the highlight of the show for me! image
    Mike
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    Major CONGRATS, Corey! That's an incredible card.
  • That is a sweet, sweet Hammer!
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>Price? >>

You stay classy, Ed. image

Congrats, Corey, on finally tracking down the perfect Hammerin' Hank for your collection!

Snorto~
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    You made out with some serious loot! Congrats on all of the pickups!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Price? >>

You stay classy, Ed. image

Congrats, Corey, on finally tracking down the perfect Hammerin' Hank for your collection!

Snorto~ >>

+1

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Snorting...... Issue with price?
    Ok boys..... Is there some unwritten rule about discussing or asking what a person
    Paid for a nice card they just picked?
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone! I'm still on cloud nine from finding the card the I wanted. It took a long time, but being picky pays off. Good things come to those that wait, right?!

Ed, I don't mind that you asked, I too wonder current going rate of cards I'm interested in. That being said, check the recent sales on the centered 6's on eBay and you'll have a pretty general idea.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Corey ... thanks for sharing your National Experience with those of us who could not attend. Congrats on obtaining your White Whale ... enjoy the Aaron card!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Corey- What an awesome experience! I'm so honored that I was able to share this with you! Definitely a huge highlight of the show for me!!!! Congrats- I hope you enjoy the Aaron!!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Corey,

It was great meeting you. I may have purchased that Aaron if you didn't...just an awesome card. I guarantee you'll be glad you made that purchase a year from now. That picture with Jeff captures the moment beautifully. Hopefully I'll see you again next year in Atlantic City, if not, definitely Chicago the following year!!

Nice unopened pickups as well. You definitely have good taste. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That is so awesome!! Glad you got a chance to enjoy the National and get a card that you wanted!!