Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Selling hockey cards . . . when to send to PWCC?

Hello All,

I'm relatively new to the forums, but I am addicted to lurking and I love the insight and knowledge that many of you posters are willing to share.

I was not familiar with PWCC until I came here, about 6 months ago. Since that time I have bought a few items from their auctions. They seem to be a good, well run outfit - there has been pleny of discussion about this in the past, so I don't want to go there right now.

What I do want to ask, is what time of year, is the best time of year to send hockey cards to PWCC for auction? I have a pretty decent batch that I would like to send to PWCC, but have been holding off over the summer since hockey is probably not on anyone's radar right now. Do you think their next auction in September would be a good one to get in on? Being Canadian I follow the sport 24/7, 365 days a year. In September there are rookie tournies, the beginning of training camps, etc. Does this peak anyones interest South of the border or inspire anyone to direct their sports cards budget to hockey? Or should I wait until the season is further underway in October or November?

Many thanks to anyone who wishes to contribute!

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Panda. Welcome to the boards. My opinion has always been, if the cards are desirable enough, you can run 'em anytime. Diehard collectors have their antenna up at all times. What kind of cards are we talking about here?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    You wouldn't happen to have 1974-75 OPC or 1975-76 OPC sets available would you?
  • Options
    The cards I'm looking at sending in are:

O-Pee-Chee
    1985 Lemieux PSA 8
    1980 Messier PSA 9
    1980 Gartner PSA 10
    1979 Gretzky PSA 7
    1979 Gretzky PSA 9 (OC) -> I might keep this one
    1978 Bossy PSA 7
    1978 Bossy PSA 9
    1977 Stan Jonathan RC PSA 10 (pop 1/1)
    1971 Lafleur PSA 8.5
    1970 Howe PSA 7
    1970 Orr PSA 7

Topps
    1964 Camille Henry SP PSA 7
    1964 Henri Richard SP PSA 6
    1964 Ed Westfall SP PSA 6
    1957 Gendron PSA 7
    1957 Litzenberger PSA 7

Parkhurst
    1952 Delvecchio PSA 5
    1951 Howe PSA 2 -> I might keep this one.
  • Options
    Unless they have a value of $1000+, I wouldn't send to PWCC. Even if you have a few that may reach that price range and a bunch of others that won't sniff that price, I would send to Probstein. You may actually come out ahead as far as net return is concerned even though realized prices will be higher.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Some nice stuff. I would send to PWCC over Probstein - particularly for hockey. PWCC ships to Canada where with Probstein you have to register to ship to Canada.

I agree that you can run them any time if they are the right material. A PSA 8.5 Lafleur RC is going to sell high in August or January.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>Some nice stuff. I would send to PWCC over Probstein - particularly for hockey. PWCC ships to Canada where with Probstein you have to register to ship to Canada >>

This is a very key point. Being in Canada, I pay no attention to Probstein's auctions because he does not ship to Canada.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Some nice stuff. I would send to PWCC over Probstein - particularly for hockey. PWCC ships to Canada where with Probstein you have to register to ship to Canada >>

This is a very key point. Being in Canada, I pay no attention to Probstein's auctions because he does not ship to Canada. >>

You sure about that?
    Text
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

This is a very key point. Being in Canada, I pay no attention to Probstein's auctions because he does not ship to Canada. >>

You sure about that?
    Text >>

PWCC's shipping rates to Canada (and I assume other non US countries) are not cheap but at least there is no need to register with them prior to wanting to bid. Your link took me to this text

READ** for Canadian and International shipping we ship via registered mail ONLY...Currently we have over 100 international bidders that have agreed to registered mail terms...If interested, please email us your eBay ID and we can approve you to bid...

If I am selling the hockey cards listed in this thread, I'd rather have all Canadian bidders ready to go (PWCC) than "over 100" (Probstein).

Also note that in the same listing, just below what I cut and paste above, it says this "NO international orders, USA Shipping only"
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

July 1 is a big hockey day due to UFA signing season. Since you missed that, mid September during the prospect camps & tournaments is the next peak in the hockey season dates. If you have modern RC's, you may want to wait until the final rosters are set to see if certain prospects made it to the show, as you may do better waiting 'til later on players sent back to start their seasons in the A, E or O/dub/Q.

The market is more stable for established material though, so if you are selling vintage through fairly recent modern that does not include RC's from the past 2 or so years, then there is enough hockey excitement from the people who care about the sport to start selling during camp instead of waiting for the first week of October. However, it is only a couple weeks' difference, so not a big deal with either date.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    May I ask why you wouldn't post prices here before paying consignment fees? I can't imagine you'll sell everything here but worth a shot.
  • Options
    Post it up in BST. I'd be interested in several.
  • Options
    For die hard collectors anytime of year is a good time to consign to PWCC. Thought I would wait until the start of the hockey season if you want to get the most eyes.
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Summer is a terrible time to sell hockey cards. Vacation is the biggest killer, I can't be the only hockey collector in Canada that unplugs and hits the cabin for a few weeks. Hockey is such a small collecting community that missing one or two buyers can really hurt a sale. Run the cards after the labour day weekend when rookie campa start. Or even better first week October when the puck drops.
  • Options
    As always, some excellent advice. Thanks to everyone for chiming in.

I was a little intimidated by the thought of posting them to the buy and sell board, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do it this weekend. Anything that doesn't sell over there will go to PWCC for their October auction.

Thanks again everyone!
  • Options
    schapkoschapko Posts: 341 ✭✭
    I'm interested in one of your cards. Please turn on your PMs.
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"