Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My National Experience w/ pictures....UPDATED 08/02 with 1979 wax tray rip!

Hi Everyone,

Well, I just got back home after my 4th national attended in Chicago. Since Chicago is within driving distance for my dad and I, it realistically can be done in one day. Left home at 6:15 am and was in line at the National at 9:45 am. There was a lot of anticipation for this show for me, more than any other year, mostly for my dad who had some serious cardboard on his want list. I was really hoping he would pick something up. My goals were rather simple, vintage unopened and work on my 1956 topps set in PSA 7/7.5. I also had some orders to drop off with some consignors and a drop off to PSA.

Our first stop was to consignors to drop off some graded cards. That went off without a hitch. Then went over to the PSA booth where we waited in line for over an hour. I was sort of frustrated as many people sat in a chair for an hour filling out their submission form while many, many people waited in line with their order forms already filled out. I was in a chair for two minutes, as I had prepared my order form and submission before the show. Oh well, I guess first world problems, right? image

At about 11:30 we finally "hit the floor". It became apparent rather early in our day that the prices were out of this world, and you might as well forget about picking anything in vintage 8 and above for anywhere near VCP. That was sort of deflating for both of us. I chipped away at my set a bit and picked up four commons for my set in 7/7.5...and was thinking that may be it for me....more on that later.

The National can be overwhelming and there is A LOT to see, from the eye candy at the auction houses (Memory Lane also had Babe Ruth's 1930's bat on display that you could actually hold, which I did, which was rather cool!), to many of the dealer tables with dynamite cards, and of course the BBCE booth which is always a great sight to see each year.

For the unopened people, I did see a fair amount of late 70's and early 80's unopened baseball/football not only at BBCE but at other tables as well. My favorite unopened piece was this item that will be available in the upcoming mile high auction. Can't remember when I saw a 1971 topps pack!!

They also had some other quality 50's and 60's packs seen here that I can't recall seeing either!

The BBCE booth was impressive as always. Unopened is still their "thing" but they also have tons of auto's and graded cards as well. Was able to say Hi to Steve and talk with him for a minute which was nice. It was also great to meet many of the guys from the board as well! Its always good to put faces to names and I enjoyed some nice conversations with people. Isn't there a group picture of us that should be posted somewhere?? image Mike had on a BBCE shirt and looked like he was ready to authenticate, sell, or throw away trash for customers image While I didn't pick up anything the first go around at their booth, I went back there to cash in some gift certificates my wife had got me and used them to help pay for this.....

Many of you know that I picked up a nice raw 1975 set and frankly, I fell in love with the issue. While the intent of the set purchase was to recycle it into more purchases, I wanted to have a cello pack to always remember it by if and when all the cards are sold. I can't go wrong with a PSA9 pack with a hall of famer on the back! My dad, didn't score any vintage wax at their booth, but landed these two cards from them that he was quite pleased with both on the eye appeal and the price...

In between lunch and a trip to BBCE was a trip to visit Jeff and his dad at Card Country. Jeff is a solid guy and always has quite the selection of vintage graded singles. He had already sold a TON of mantles by mid afternoon thursday, and while we didn't pick up any mantles, I did score this 1956 Clemente PSA 7.5 for my set. My eyes lit up when I saw it, and I am so happy to add it to my set, even if I paid a bit more for the card than I had planned. I bought the card, not the holder, and just felt that it was a great looking card!

My dad wasn't shy either and scored this beauty of a Maris from JEff and then informed me on the drive home that he is going to do the entire run of Maris topps regular issues in PSA8....I'm like "alrighty, sir!"

That concluded my buying for the day. I almost bought a Ted Williams PSA7, but just didn't feel like paying above VCP for an average looking card, so I shut it down.

I would have to say the story of the day came at the very end of the day, when my dad bought a card that he has been chasing after for a long time. If I had a dime for every time I heard my dad tell me the story of him opening up 1965 topps packs as a kid hoping to score a Mick, I think I could have bought this card for him image

And after 50 years, it had finally found its "home". Here is my attempt at a selfie with my dad...He was stoked as you can see in the picture!

With that being the "last order of business" for the day, we headed home. I know days like this don't come around very often and it was great to spend 16 hours with my dad. He told me on the way home that its the best day he's had in a long time, and thanked me for it. So yeah, that was the BEST part of the day for me image

Its weird how I go from a day looking at pieces of cardboard with baseball players on them to tomorrow when my wife and I head to Iowa City to see if our son Cooper can come off his oxygen and monitors and finally be a wireless baby. For those of you that don't know, Cooper was born 12 weeks early and due to a lack of lung development was put on oxygen and monitors. He is doing awesome now and is up to 11 lbs from 2 lbs at his birth in March. I enclosed a picture of him and am rooting for him tomorrow! image Cooper will let us know tomorrow if he is ready, so I better get to bed and prepare for another drive in the morning image

image[/URL]

Thanks for letting me share and I hope for those that didn't attend, this gave you some insight into the national.

Jeremy

****UPDATE 08/02/15****

Well, I thought to celebrate Cooper's unearthing from the oxygen, I would unearth some packs from their 36 year slumber, which meant the destruction of this 1979 wax tray. Here is wireless cooper holding the tray and card savers for all the gem mint 10's that would hopefully exist in this tray.

No turning back now!

Pack one yielded three hall of famers!

Pack two only yielded this card, but I felt good things were ready to be unearthed in pack three, hoping to summon Tim's pack ripping history. image

Unfortunately, not this time....as no Ozzies were revealed in pack three.

This was my first time ripping a wax tray and the packs were sharp and still smelled like they were brand new...so a fun rip and Cooper's first additions to his collection since his Griffey, Jr. rookie.

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pics, Jeremy! The 71 pack is a blazer. Love that 75 cello you picked up, too!

Rooting for Cooper, too~he looks great!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    + 1 to Grote's post!
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Best wishes for your sons health and his chance to take you to the national 30 years from now so you can pick up your white whale as a kid.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Great story, Jeremy. Thank you for sharing. This thread brought a smile to my face.

The picture of you and your dad is pretty neat. You look just like him, only younger of course. Talk about looking at your future! image

Prayers being sent for your precious little baby son.
  • NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭
    Such an incredible post Jeremy. Sounds like you and your father share a very special bond in the form of a passion for the hobby. I would be on Cloud 9 if my old man, as great as he already is, knew anything about collecting cards. It is clearly evident that you don't take this for granted and recognize just how cool it is for you and your dad to spend that time together. Positive thoughts headed your way on Baby Cooper, nothing more important than our kids and family.
    Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Heartfelt story. Thanks for sharing the stories behind the photos. T

Btw - that is a beautiful Maris. very well centered and high end compared to other 8's. I know because I've seen it in hand image
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this isn't what the hobby is all about, I don't know what is. An outstanding read, Jeremy. Superb gets by both you and your dad! And the picture with the Mantle? Absolutely priceless.

But you saved the best for last. Will definitely be thinking about Cooper today! He has 9-time Gold Glover at the hot corner and a lifetime avg of about .312 written all over him. image

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome photos and nice pickup on the 65 Mantle. Cooper is a great looking kid and we are rooting and praying for him.
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great post to read. That 75 cello pack is just incredible! Good luck with Cooper and a great selfie with your Dad.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Great story and you'll always have the memories.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Nice thread!

I'll give you a good luck old Lakers cheer...

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP.......
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Praying for Cooper and his family. God bless!!
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jeremy. Great story with you and your dad. I spent all day yesterday with my son (13) and it was by far the best single day I've had in such a long time...he was more patient then me in the PSA line and overall such a great bonding day. Best wishes and positive vibes to your son.

Thx for sharing

Steven
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭
    Great story and pulling hard and saying a prayer that Cooper goes wireless!
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com

• << <i>

At about 11:30 we finally "hit the floor". It became apparent rather early in our day that the prices were out of this world, and you might as well forget about picking anything in vintage 8 and above for anywhere near VCP. That was sort of deflating for both of us. I chipped away at my set a bit and picked up four commons for my set in 7/7.5...and was thinking that may be it for me....more on that later.

>>

Thanks for the update. I had a bad feeling about pricing this year. This is what I wrote on 7/11:
    "Given that strong prices are continuing to be recognized in the market today, and the usual price inflation typically seen at the National anyway, I'm beginning to think the prices to be reflected at the tables this year are going to be crazy. When browsing at a show, I normally adjust my price-evaluation process to incorporate a slight premium because there is value to being able to personally inspect a card as well as obtain possession immediately. But with much of the market headed up, I'm wondering how much premium may also be priced in to reflect future, upward market pricing pressures. As I look at auctions closing and closed in the last few weeks, I have to assume that some of this activity has to be dealers buying up RC's, hi-grade stars, low pops, etc. to build inventory to sell at the National that they'll be able to turn for a relatively quick profit. At this point they only have about 2 weeks left to bring in inventory.

I think I'm going to need to bring more cash to the National."

National Pricing
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jeremy ... So glad to see that dad and you were able to have an AWESOME time with one another. HUGE prayers for Cooper. PLEASE show us a picture when you bring him through the front door of your home.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Thanks for sharing and nice pickups. I love the centering on all those cards you got.

Yeah the waiting while people fill out forms bit is pretty silly IMO. Wouldn't PSA make a lot more money, and happier collectors, if they had a better system for the in person drop-offs?
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Love your post! Sounds like a great day. Hope today is even better!

"Molon Labe"

• MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Great thread! Loved the report. What great family bonding!
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the well wishees! Cooper came off the oxygen today which is very exciting for us (and him, of course). He is still on the monitor for heart rate and respiratory rate, but the doctor is optimistic that he will be fully wireless in about a month!

Also, had a bit of time to enjoy the purchases from the National this afternoon and decompress from both trips. No buyers remorse on the cello pack or the clemente and I'm very happy with both purchases. Thinking that our next national trip will have to be over two days image

Look forward to reading about more national experiences over the next few days and hopefully seeing lots of great pictures and great pickups!

Jeremy
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Great story about the National and even better news about Cooper. Congrats on all accounts.
    Steve
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great thread!

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful news about Cooper!!! You should celebrate
    with a pack or box rip. In a couple years he'll help!!!
  • RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on you and your Dad's pick-ups and the terrific news on
    Cooper's recovery !
    Robbieimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    It was a pleasure to meet you on Thurs and talk cards for a while. That Clemente is just beautiful, looks nicer in person!

That's awesome that Cooper is off the oxygen and could be off all monitoring in a month!

Good luck with your '56 set!
    Matt

<< <i>It was a pleasure to meet you on Thurs and talk cards for a while. That Clemente is just beautiful, looks nicer in person!

That's awesome that Cooper is off the oxygen and could be off all monitoring in a month!

Good luck with your '56 set! >>

Matt,

It was great to meet you!! I absolutely love your 80/81 basketball box and the story behind it! It was definitely one of the highlights of the day, just holding that box!!

Jeremy
  • Congrats on the pickups nice cards.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cooper came off the oxygen today which is very exciting for us >>

Glad to hear Jeremy.

Congratulations on your pickups!

Was nice to meet you at the national.
    Mike
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy - I'm a new dad as well and I never understood how I could care for anyone as much as I do for my son. Great news about your boy, it is amazing how good the medical technology for babies is today.
    Mike
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    A great few days across 3 generations of 1 family... enjoy it, Jeremy, it's more valuable than anything you could pick up at the National.

Rooting for Cooper to be fully untethered soon.

Snorto~
    Updated 08/02 for wax tray rip!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Way to be a RIPPER Cooper!!!! One bit of advice ... stay away from Mr. CPAMIKE! hahaha
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cooper the Pack Ripper!! Has a nice ring to it. image

Those 79s are so tough~they should command more than they do in high grade, imo.

Nice star power!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Great thread. Coop is bound to be a future ripper.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy..... Nice meeting you and glad you shared the national experience with your dad. I'll be rooting for your son.

BTW the 56 Clemente and 65 Mantle are absolutely beautiful.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Nice haul Jeremy. The Mantle and Maris are big time. More importantly, glad to hear your boy is doing better.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Awesome pick-ups Jeremy. Great seeing you and your Dad as always!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980