Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 ProCards West Palm Beach Randy Johnson PSA 10

Big unit's first card hit an all-time high in PSA 10, twice in July north of $1000. Wonder if the HOF induction surge in price will hold. There's 25 in the pop report to date. These are tricky to gauge how many are out there since they were sold in team sets only and not as a collated set, nor in packs. In PSA 9, there are around 80 of those to date and can be had for around $150. The 1986 ProCards Elmira Curt Schilling looks even more scarce. It's the 1986 ProCards Pittsfield Cubs that either were overproduced or someone saw value in not tossing the unsold sets with Maddux, Palmeiro and Moyer in it. I also have a hunch AAA sets were produced in greater quantity than AA and AA greater than A.

If you collect these, watch out for reprints.

Comments

• Options
    pauldrolkeespauldrolkees Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    great minor league rc!!! I want one

may i tap into your minor league expertise a bit? I want to pick up the rarest Jim Thome minor league rc, but there are two from the same year, both from Procards. would you enlighten me as to which one is the "better" one to pick up? thanks

imageimage
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Great card. By the looks of that sunburn you can really tell he was in Florida haha
  • Options
    They look to have similar populations according to PSA:

1990 Procards Burlington Indians
    138 Total submitted
    31 PSA 10s

1990 Procards A & AA Minor League Stars
    94 Total submitted
    28 PSA 10s

I think you couldn't go wrong with either, but I like the Burlington Indians card myself.

Shayne A Sherman
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    I don't think there is a "better" one on the Thome. Back in the late 80's minor league cards were skyrocketing. It all started with the 1984 TCMA Clemens then on to the 1982 TCMA Hawaii Gwynn and 1983 Fritsch Puckett and some others. These were all $300+ raw cards back then-pre-grading era. ProCards kept to somewhat low production in 1986 in team sets, let out a little more slack in 1987 and 1988 but still just as just team sets, but 1989 & 1990 the flood gates opened in the wake of the general late 80's junk wax hysteria and they sold in boxes and packs instead of in sets. My suggestion would be to just buy one of each in PSA 10 if your budget allows if you are a Thome fan. They shouldn't be too expensive. Otherwise if only one in your budget, just buy the one you like best in PSA 10.