Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2015 National Pics, Purchases & Rips Thread

Nothing like the National if you are a fan of the hobby. Where else can you find this level of product and hobby enthusiasts all under one massive roof. I thought I would start this thread for both the folks attending and those unable, so this forum can see it through the eyes of others. Feel free to add your pics, the treasures you purchase and any rips that ensue (sorry CPAMike).

For those of you I know, my lens will be unopened and high grade Jordan's from the 1980's.

Here are some pics from the first day of set up...this show is huge and it is going to take the better part of Wednesday to walk the whole floor!

As always, the top destination is the jaw-dropping BBCE booth...seriously WOW!! This is why Steve and his team are simply the best...

For you vintage baseball lovers...yes, that is a 1967 Topps Cello Box (Series 1)...

And for the basketball lovers like Dustin and myself...

Can you say "Sweetness!!!"...

And the most sick case I have ever seen...1979 Topps Hockey Vending (Factory Sealed!!!).

I only had time to quickly walk the floor and it looks like pre-1990 unopened will be limited outside of BBCE. Here are some very nice 1980's cases from Kruk's...

I hope this wets the appetite for folks. I will post some more pics as the show progresses. Really looking forward to meeting fellow members along the way...it is really the best part of the show!

Comments

• Options
    CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Great pictures. Thanks!

Love the 1971 Basketball box! That is a tough one.

Was it a full box or just the display box?

Also wondering if you happened to catch the price of it or the price on
    the 1967 baseball cello box?

Thanks again.
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW. Amazing stuff. Thanks for sharing. I too wonder what the '67 is going for.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Awesome pictures - Thanks for posting. Anyone else who is attending - please upload stuff onto here for all of us who are stuck at home can see image

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great pictures. Thanks!

Love the 1971 Basketball box! That is a tough one.

Was it a full box or just the display box?

Also wondering if you happened to catch the price of it or the price on
    the 1967 baseball cello box?

Thanks again. >>

The 1971 Basketball box is a full 12-pack box and I think Steve was asking ~$14k. I don't remember specifically how much on the 1967, but think it was in the $38k range...but I could be off.
  • Options
    DJJazzBassDJJazzBass Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Amazing stuff!
    Hey Moose! Rocco! Help the Judge find his checkbook, will ya!
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Solid Day 1. Always great to see the gang and meet more folks.

I like to pick up some random items from my players/teams. Here are a few I grabbed near day end.

Also picked up some assorted hockey wax. Some to rip tonite and some to add to the pack collection.

Keeping with the Canada theme, I picked up some Leaf and OPC baseball to keep me busy, along with some 92B and some Stadium Club FB.

Wait...more OPC? Yup. A pair of 75s. One is slated for ripping. Stay tuned. Coming to a board near you. Also scooped these 3 trays (2-79 and 1-80) for 290, which was a solid price.

Also had to have this 79 Staubach rack to pair with my Dorsett.

And my first buy of the day...the card I was looking for. Lucky me, this came from our own CardCountry (Jeff) who hooked me up for the second year in a row. This card completes my Bowman Mantle run. WooHoo.

Purchased but not pictured, were a 71FB pack that completes my Topps FB pack run 71-89, and a 72BK pack that just leaves me a 71 pack shy of completing my Topps BK pack run 71-82.

Not sure what's on the agenda tomorrow, but I'm sure I'll find something. Ideally a 71BB pack to complete that run.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    BBCE racks and display cases seem better stocked than usual. Makes for a pretty awesome visual.

Are you guys seeing product there that's not listed on the website?
  • Options
    Loving the Mick, congrats on finishing the run. Now get ripping!
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing guys. Fun to live vicariously through you guys attending. Jim, I already told you that I love all the pick ups, that Mantle is awesome for a 4.5!
    Steve
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim,

That is an awesome day one! Congrats!! Love the pictures!!

Jeremy
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    How much for the '79 Topps Hockey Vending?
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Keep spinning the hits. Thanks for posting fellas. Doug
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    What are they asking for the '86 fleer basketball wax box? A million? image
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What are they asking for the '86 fleer basketball wax box? A million? image >>

$35k

<< <i>How much for the '79 Topps Hockey Vending? >>

not sure on the case but the i think the individual boxes were $3,500 - does that sound right?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pics! Is that a 75 baseball rack box next to the mini case??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>BBCE racks and display cases seem better stocked than usual. Makes for a pretty awesome visual.

Are you guys seeing product there that's not listed on the website? >>

Steve always brings his best stuff to the National each year before posting it on the site afterwards.

Jim,

Some awesome pick ups there! Congrats! Hope you pull a Brett or Yount 75 OPC RC!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    The 79 hockey case is an incredible cool and rare item, but loose vending at $3500 sounds kinda like pushing it to me?
  • Options
    92 Bowmans were a bust.

Opened 2 each of. 89-90-91 OPC and got these 3. Ryan was the gum card and lost a spec or two of color. Not what I was fishing for, but not a total bust. Got a few more for tomorrow night.

Busted some Topps hockey. 81, 84 and 89. Here's the results.

And some OPC packs. 83, 84 and 89.

Til tomorrow.
  • Options
    The questions are, who is going to take the plunge and find out what condition those cards in?
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The 1967 Topps Baseball Cello Box @ $34k is a series one box.
  • Options
    Wow Jim, looks like you got some great results with the hockey packs!
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought I would share my Day 1 pickups for Jordan...picked up (1) 88/89 Fleer Wax Box, (6) 89/90 Fleer Wax boxes from a full case I split with another board member. I foolishly bought a case of 1991 Upper Deck for $80 to rip for Jordan Baseball SP1 and a shot at a signed Nolan Ryan. Many hours later the case was ripped (thanks to the help of some friendly members) and it netted (11) MJ SP1 cards, but no signed Nolan.

Here were some wish for MJ items...

Last, bought a box of 1986 Donruss on a whim since I had never pulled a Canseco RC back in the day when that card was hot...

Check that one off the bucket list of "remember when cards"...
  • Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff. That 86 Donruss brings back memories.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭
    I was there on Wednesday night and the oldest rack BBCE had was 1978 boxes, same as online. I asked Steve if he had any older racks or cellos, packs or boxes and he said no.
    Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was there on Wednesday night and the oldest rack BBCE had was 1978 boxes, same as online. I asked Steve if he had any older racks or cellos, packs or boxes and he said no. >>

Last week I bought a 1976 rack pack from BBCE off ebay with George Brett on back. They sold another 76 with Nolan Ryan on back. Glad they didn't save them for the National.image
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭
    Incredible pics, thanks for a glimpse of what must be an awesome experience. Can't wait for the National in AC!

The BBCE booth pics are just stunning.
    Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone remember the shows in the 90s when a few dealers would have showcases with full wax boxes from many years from the 60s-70s from all sports? I don't think we'll ever see that again.
  • Options
    After a nice meal with some boardies last night, today I slept in a bit. Got to the convention before realizing I left without my pass. Damn. After an Uber round trip, I was in and at PSA to pick up subs for begsu and me. My 6 card review saw all 6 in new slabs but only my 63 Stargell 6 bumped to a 6.5. Not entirely surprising as I think most of the others were good for the grade, but likely accurate technically.

OK. With PSA outta the way it was time to buy. I'll admit, I did not prepare like I did last year. Either that or I just came with a much smaller list. Yesterday's Mantle was the one card I really wanted. The rest of the list was more looking for eye/price ratio, and just didn't happen. So no other graded cards for me.

But that doesn't mean there was no buying.

Here's some stuff I scooped today not from BBCE. Another 80 tray, a pair of 76FB that came at 50 each (Steve wouldn't say good or bad...corner folds looked good, roller marks were tough to tell), but willing to take the risk for the price as I bought other stuff from same seller yesterday and it was all good. And finally some 81FB. Listed at 15per, I got 5 for 60. These did check out.

Here's the stuff that did come from BBCE. If it looks familiar, it's because it's similar to yesterday's haul. Good fun ripping. Kinda torn on the 75OPC. I think I need to rip one of the 3, but an 8 card pack in which I may lose 1-2 cards is a tough prop. Still a lot of night ahead of me though.

I was pretty much done and had said my goodbyes but decided to take another pass through and grab some oddball stuff.

Not sure what I'm gonna do with this, but I liked it.

Scooped up this little lot for 22. The Yazs and McCovey are for some raw player sets I'm starting, and the others were just cool and cheap and aided in overall bargaining. I dig the Lasorda Desert Shield...it's my first.

And finally, my last buy of the day. Almost 600 different 75s which I got for 40. This'll be fun to go through. Assuming all stars are gone, but condition didn't look too bad and this will be a big head start in the set.

That's it for me. Back home tomorrow. It was a great trip. I got to meet a lot more board members, had a good time and found some good buys. Thought I'd find a few more graded cards from my list, but I can find most of my remaining list on BST or eBay, so no biggie.

Next year, I'm pretty sure will be all about hunting low-mid raw for my raw player sets...an of course, more unopened.

Looking forward to seeing the other hauls.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone

I'm having a great vacation and the trip to the National just tops it all off.

I've met a bunch of really nice guys and will talk more later - right now I'm going for pizza with CPAmike et al.

I did pick up this gem on Tues while they were setting up.

It's complete and has the instructions - usually missing. Haven't had a chance to look up yet - it appears to be 30s/40s?

Again - having a great time!!!!

edit: Double Header -- Redlich Manufacturing, 1935 - from the baseball game forum on the net.
    Mike
  • Options
    I'm glad everybody is having a good time. That's the most important part! Really digging the vintage game, and especially that Ted bottle. Awesome!
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Haven't been on the board in months. I came by and saw this thread and it inspired me. My wife and I packed up the twins and are driving to Chicago. She is driving at the moment. See you guys tomorrow
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    WooHoo!!! I ripped a 75OPC and got just a little love. The rare occasion where the best player is also the best centered.

The 89-90-91 OPC didn't yield anything of interest.

Now considering a pack of 76FB.
  • Options
    Wow, that's a great rip! Gonna sub a couple on site?
  • Options
    Lots of fun pickups the last 2 days. Sweet raw 71s and 75s. Nice additions to my HOF RC collection and some 70s raw pickups. Thanks to Jeff at card country for the Reggie and Gibson. I was able to get the Reggie to bump to 8.5 after an onsite review. I added a super sharp Yaz and made my big pickup with the 51 mantle.

Enjoy the photos!

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations to everyone on your picksups.

I found a really nice handheld baseball game but the guy wants too much dough for it. Oh well, keep hunting.
    Mike
  • Options
    Nice bump on the Reggie RC, Ryan! Congrats!

Glad to hear everyone is having such a great time. I am looking forward to attending in 2016.

Mike, if you stay through the weekend, the seller may come off his price, if no one buys the game in the interim. Good luck..

• Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

Well, prices seemed to be sky high so I was selective and only bought one item. I bought a 1985 Topps FB NON X out box for my PC. I had noticed the newer wax had been discounted quit a bit so I bought the twins a box of cards to open when I got back to the room. Well, Jay pulled this. It is factory #'d 1/10 and is the gold version.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Prices were indeed crazy high. I picked up about 10 commons for my 1955 Bowman baseball set and paid more than I should have but I appreciated the fact someone took the time to put them in a binder so it was easy to shop so the added cost above Ebay prices I was ok with. The star prices were just crazy stupid on many cards I looked at. I decided I would just buy off of Ebay and seriously consider not going back to the National the next time it comes through. I have been to at least ten National shows and now that I am focused mainly on a few specific sets, I just dont think it is worth while to go back. Between parking, gas and ticket to the show, I was down 50 bucks before I even entered the hall.

Eh...Maybe I am just getting old! Get off my lawn! image
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have any reports from the Japanese baseball booths? I thought there were going to be a few there.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "Eh...Maybe I am just getting old! Get off my lawn! "

Now that's funny. I am old and I can relate.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball