Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

60s/70s Hofers in 8s

The collective awesomeness of these boards had inspired me to start to acquire single rookie cards of my baseball heroes from my youth. Budget is tight. So I'm thinking PSA8 examples with exceptional centering. So here's the big question, where do I start? And should I get a VCP sub?

Thanks in advance to all of the great guidance that is sure to follow.

BTW, fave player of all time is David Mark Winfield, which I still own only my raw copy from 1987 as a kid.
Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too

Comments

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea, may try it one day myself. Don't overlook some strong 6's or 7's. Deals can be found image
  • NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭
    My list starts with Scmidt, Winfiled, Yount, Brett, Murray, Molitor.

Is VCP of tremendous value to getting the right cards at the right price? I have bought 150+ unopened boxes but virtually zero single cards in past 4 years.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Absolutely get VCP. Pays for itself.
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Absolutely get VCP. Pays for itself. >>

+1
  • While I love VCP, I dont think that a subscription would benefit you.

Since you are only searching for a select group of cards, and those cards being Rookies, they sell pretty frequently on eBay and a simple search could turn up a lot of data. While VCP is quicker, you shouldn't have the need for searching hundreds or thousands of cards. I'd just keep a list on Excel of the eBay averages with the last date you checked/calculated. That should be enough information for you. If you were really into keeping track, you could keep track of every sale from point A until you buy the card. I would go this route if you had a little extra time. I used to do it until I expanded my sets to the point where I couldn't keep up with it.

Good luck!
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect PSA 5 MC's of 50's and 60's HOFs in cards that are not centering sensitive; for example 1954 Banks RC with white borders, vs. 1959 Topps Frank Robinson or Sparky Anderson black beauty.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While I love VCP, I dont think that a subscription would benefit you.

Since you are only searching for a select group of cards, and those cards being Rookies, they sell pretty frequently on eBay and a simple search could turn up a lot of data. While VCP is quicker, you shouldn't have the need for searching hundreds or thousands of cards. I'd just keep a list on Excel of the eBay averages with the last date you checked/calculated. That should be enough information for you. If you were really into keeping track, you could keep track of every sale from point A until you buy the card. I would go this route if you had a little extra time. I used to do it until I expanded my sets to the point where I couldn't keep up with it.

Good luck! >>

Thanks for the replies all!

I don't have the luxury of time so it might make sense for me to make the commitment. But I will see how it goes without VCP as I wade through a few purchases.
  • The flip-side of the "you only have a limited set of cards you want" argument is that you can pay $4 for a one-day pass to VCP and download all the data you'll need for the entire project into an Excel sheet in one binge. Then, you'll have many data points for pricing, not just a few, and you'll probably do it a lot faster than dealing with completed sales. And, it's only four bucks.