Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Authenticating Fractional Gold--Here are a few problem pieces to consider

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
Fractional gold has always been tough for me. I don't see it too often, lots of tokens (for jewelry and other uses) were created in the style of legit pieces decades later and backdated to the "original" date, some of the genuine designs are crude, and alloys seem rather variable. With that in mind, here are a few pieces that also have either holes or loops, so weights might not be useful, either. I'm curious about references for looking up fractionals, any easy ID tricks anyone may know, and also your thoughts on these specific pieces.

1- This one has a tiny Freemasons pin screwed in

2- If this one catches the light just right, it's got slightly reflective surfaces. Under magnification, it has a few areas that look like it was plated and the plating was wiped away.

3- Pucker-up Liberty?

5- This is the crudest looking of the bunch and from the color looks to be a low purity of gold.

6- This one looks pretty good except for the areas that look burnt.

7- Sorry for the bad obverse photo on this one image

8- This one is pretty lustrous and the only one of the bunch that seems free of major issues. It weighs in at a whopping .24g.
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    Wow. Nice pics!
    PCGS
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Buy a Breen and Gillio, "California Pineer Fractional Gold" book, second edition. Study the photo carefully. You will get basic idea about what the real ones are.

Check Heritage website and search key word "BG" and you will see hundreds of old auction photos.

Check PCGS set registry and examine Jay Roe's set photos. This is an HOF set.

These are three good ways to start self learning California fractional gold coins.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    If you can find it the 2003 Bowers and Merena auction catalog of the Jay Roe Collection is a virtual text book for California fractional gold coins. This was one of the few auction catalogs I've saved over the years and I'm glad I did.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat stuff you have there.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Where are the Bears on the reverse?

All the eBay tokens have bears on the reverse. image
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In quickly scanning your very nice photos the first one is a token or souvenir. The others appears that they can be attributed by BG numbers.
    If you want more info, definitely get the BG book and the Jay Roe auction catalog. Inside the auction catalog was a CD disk of each variety. PCGS coinfacts is another good place to find information on calfracs.
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Breen-Gillio book lists every known authentic California small denomination gold coin and includes a picture of the obverse and reverse of that coin. If it isn't in that book it's either a fantasy coin ("If you see a bear then beware.") or a token which won't have a denomination such as Dollar, Dol., D., or Cents. These coins are frequently called California fractional gold coins but they are more properly called small denomination California gold coins since they include many one dollar denominated coins and $1 is not really a fraction.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    For me Cal Gold has always meant fraud. If small change was in such great demand , how is it so many pieces survive
    in mint state?

I suspect original working dies still exist to this day.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For me Cal Gold has always meant fraud. If small change was in such great demand , how is it so many pieces survive
    in mint state?

I suspect original working dies still exist to this day. >>

The Period 1 coins did indeed circulate as money and many survivors show circulation wear. These coins were discussed in contemporary California newspapers during the gold rush. Also, many of these coins were found with other gold coins in the famous ship wreck salvage operations. Period 2 coins were made for the jewelry industry and as souvenirs for the tourist trade and most are mint state and many have proof-like fields. These are comparable to other non-circulating coins such as commemorative coins. Due to their history of being made in California during the gold rush era using native gold these coins are highly collectable and are popular with many collectors. Of course many don't like them due to their small size but I consider that part of their charm (pun intended). As far as dies are concerned I've only seen a couple of original dies and they were corroded and unfit for striking coins that would fool a collector.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Breen-Gillio book lists every known authentic California small denomination gold coin and includes a picture of the obverse and reverse of that coin. If it isn't in that book it's either a fantasy coin ("If you see a bear then beware.") or a token which won't have a denomination such as Dollar, Dol., D., or Cents. These coins are frequently called California fractional gold coins but they are more properly called small denomination California gold coins since they include many one dollar denominated coins and $1 is not really a fraction. >>

There are a few new varieties that were found/identified after Breen-Gillio 2nd Edition was published. I wish knowledge folks in this forum can share this info with us. image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file