Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone want to help identify a few gold pieces?

I'm normally pretty good at figuring out what something is, but once the wording is in an alphabet I can't search, or I eventually just can't find any information, I've got to hope someone else may know. If I have a guess, I'll give it, but if you have any more information, I'd appreciate it.

1.02g. Looks like India (Assam?). Possibly a 1/16 Mohur?

10.5g, 25mm. I think this is a medal (not a coin), but I can't find any matches online.

2.87g. This one looks Arabic. It's quite light for its ~25mm size and sounds a bit tinny. It's obviously very thin.

3.98g. Another Arabic/Islamic piece. Same 25mm, but heavier than the last one and a deeper golden color.

4.41g. It's obvious this one's a Spanish cob of some kind, though I have my doubts regarding authenticity. ~20mm.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Jeremy
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭
    Your Vatican piece is a privately produced medal for the election of Paul VI as pope in 1963. The reverse is similar to an "official" (i.e., produced/authorized by the Vatican) medal, the obverse is quite different. At this point I don't really have anything that lists private issues for Paul VI which were produced in great numbers and varieties as souvenirs.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Your Vatican piece is a privately produced medal for the election of Paul VI as pope in 1963. The reverse is similar to an "official" (i.e., produced/authorized by the Vatican) medal, the obverse is quite different. At this point I don't really have anything that lists private issues for Paul VI which were produced in great numbers and varieties as souvenirs. >>

Thanks. Am I correct in reading the reverse that it's .900 fine gold?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Your Vatican piece is a privately produced medal for the election of Paul VI as pope in 1963. The reverse is similar to an "official" (i.e., produced/authorized by the Vatican) medal, the obverse is quite different. At this point I don't really have anything that lists private issues for Paul VI which were produced in great numbers and varieties as souvenirs. >>

Thanks. Am I correct in reading the reverse that it's .900 fine gold? >>

That's how I read the mark. It's probably accurate, but not knowing the maker certainly adds an element of uncertainty.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two Islamic dinars are medieval, I'm pretty sure... Abbasid?

Boy, if that cob is the real deal, that would be awesome. I don't see any obvious red flags. What makes you doubt it, aside from the normal healthy suspicions?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cob appears to be a 2 escudos (on the right of your 1st pic it shows .II.). The monarch is Philip but I can't say which one. There were a few Philips and they issued similar coins. Legend reads "PHI..PPV.."

The coin appears to be double struck.. in the center it does not quite line up. I think this is not uncommonly seen.

The weight is low for 2 escudos (usually over 6g). Can't say whether it is real. I am no expert on these issues.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Deleted for double post)
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Jeremy,

The first Islamic dinar appears to be of the Ghaznavid dynasty. Made from debased gold.

The second one appears to be Almoravid from North Africa. I'm not sure which ruler though.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The two Islamic dinars are medieval, I'm pretty sure... Abbasid?

Boy, if that cob is the real deal, that would be awesome. I don't see any obvious red flags. What makes you doubt it, aside from the normal healthy suspicions? >>

I think the weight being a little low and something about the lettering that just looks a little off, though perhaps the double strike is to blame.