Home Sports Talk
Options

In Coming Years, What Will Be The HOF Milestones For Pitchers?

orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
In an age with 5 man rotations and less starts per season, what will be the new milestones, or requirements to get into the hall of fame for pitchers. For years it has been 300 wins, but that is becoming rarer and rarer and it will get to a point where next to no one will be getting 300 wins. Will it come down to having to have great ERA numbers and win percentage like Pedro Martinez and not necessarily win totals? Will guys that had long, good, consistent careers without flashy numbers like Mark Buehrle get more consideration? What does everyone else think? What type of pitchers will be getting into the hall of fame 20-30 years from now? What kind of numbers will they have?
What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Win total and pct have always been rather misleading to begin with as they are predicated more on the team as a whole and less so on a pitcher's actual ability. ERA. ERA+, WHIP, K:BB ratio are all more accurate gauges as to how good or dominant a pitcher is relative to his peers.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Win total and pct have always been rather misleading to begin with as they are predicated more on the team as a whole and less so on a pitcher's actual ability. ERA. ERA+, WHIP, K:BB ratio are all more accurate gauges as to how good or dominant a pitcher is relative to his peers. >>

^^^^ What he said. Things like wins, win %, ERA, K's, Cy Youngs will always carry weight however. Doesn't matter how sabremetrically things become, those stats will always hold some, or a lot of, sway with voters. image
  • Options
    I think the standards will eventually be 2 different types. Pitchers like Mussina will be one example. He was never dominant like Pedro but he was definitely really good for a long time and had the compiled stats to get him in. Then there are players like Roy Halladay who was dominant for a short period (very similar to Koufax) but didn't compile enough stats to be an old school HOF lock. He was basically down by the age of 34 compared to Mussina who won 20 games at 39 and probably could have pitched effectively for a few more years. BTW, I think they both get in eventually but will take a while.
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    With arm injuries these days if a player was overwhelmingly dominant for a 10 year period, that is enough for me to be inducted in the HOF.

Roy Halladay fits this criteria.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    300 wins is going to be hard to reach. Maybe 250 will be the new 300.

Voters don't always make the best choices.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set