Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is there any value in BBCE wrapping a factory sealed box FASC?

I've seen a few auctions where BBCE wrapped the entire factory sealed case. That surprised me since the case is already factory sealed.

Taking that concept to next level, would it make any sense to wrap a factory sealed box from a factory sealed case with a BBCE FASC Wrap? Would there be any premium for that?

Mike

Comments

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Possibly. I'll use 2015 Archives as an example.

Bryant is an SP. SPs average 1 per 3 boxes per the odds. I might pay a small premium knowing a box came from a case. Someone else may have hit the Bryant or an early hot box, and now offloading the rest. As a buyer, I don't know. It's wrapped so I know the box isn't searched, but can't say it's not the remnant of a case that's already yielded the good pulls.

2 cents.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

<< <i>I've seen a few auctions where BBCE wrapped the entire factory sealed case. That surprised me since the case is already factory sealed.

Taking that concept to next level, would it make any sense to wrap a factory sealed box from a factory sealed case with a BBCE FASC Wrap? Would there be any premium for that? >>

Yes, IMO, it would. Boxes and cases can be faked so having the BBCE seal adds that extra layer of confidence that can add value to an unopened item.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've seen a few auctions where BBCE wrapped the entire factory sealed case. That surprised me since the case is already factory sealed.

Taking that concept to next level, would it make any sense to wrap a factory sealed box from a factory sealed case with a BBCE FASC Wrap? Would there be any premium for that? >>

Yes, IMO, it would. Boxes and cases can be faked so having the BBCE seal adds that extra layer of confidence that can add value to an unopened item. >>

They were caught putting FASC on a pieced together box recently weren't they?
  • Options
    No value. It just makes it harder to rip into. image
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I will always a pay a premium for a vintage wax box labeled FASC because I then know for almost absolute certainty that the box wasn't a homemade box pieced together with loose packs gathered up over time. This FASC designation only really appeals to me on 1985 and earlier boxes. It is worth more to me having a factory original older box like that that is "case fresh" rather than having just a box of the same year with packs that could have came from different sources and accumulated over however long. Just another one of my personal collecting preferences. 1986 and later? Not so much, there is still so much out there (with exceptions of course), that it wouldn't matter to me. A 1989 Topps baseball wax box FASC? Nah...
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see the point with the SP's. That is why I avoid busing single Exquisite or National Treasures boxes off ebay. There is usually one really good box in each and the rest is average or less.
    Mike
  • Options
    1994 SP Baseball Case BBCE Wrapped

I think there is a misunderstanding about my question. I'm not debating the value of FASC in general, just specifically for boxes that were issued with a factory wrap. The link is to the auction that got me thinking about the value of a BBCE wrapped case with factory sealed boxes. The key pull in these boxes are the red die cut holoview - ARod RC, Jordan, Ripken, and Griffey.

I assume the cost for wrapping a case and 12 individual boxes would be close, was the seller better off wrapping each factory sealed box as FASC?
    Mike
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    That reminds me that I still haven't seen "Inception" yet.
  • Options

<< <i>1994 SP Baseball Case BBCE Wrapped

I think there is a misunderstanding about my question. I'm not debating the value of FASC in general, just specifically for boxes that were issued with a factory wrap. The link is to the auction that got me thinking about the value of a BBCE wrapped case with factory sealed boxes. The key pull in these boxes are the red die cut holoview - ARod RC, Jordan, Ripken, and Griffey.

I assume the cost for wrapped a case and the individual boxes would be close, was the seller better off wrapped each factory sealed box as FASC? >>

It depends. Individual boxes are much more digestible by the general population of collectors. And if you parcel things out you might actually make more than selling a case as a whole. However, there are some big spenders who want a case and a case only. So I'd suggest doing the case first and seeing how that goes. Once you break that seal there's no going back!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>1994 SP Baseball Case BBCE Wrapped

I assume the cost for wrapped a case and the individual boxes would be close, was the seller better off wrapped each factory sealed box as FASC? >>

It depends. Individual boxes are much more digestible by the general population of collectors. And if you parcel things out you might actually make more than selling a case as a whole. However, there are some big spenders who want a case and a case only. So I'd suggest doing the case first and seeing how that goes. Once you break that seal there's no going back! >>

Thanks. The case isn't mine, I just saw the auction. I've seen pre-1985 cases wrapped but not one that already has factory sealed boxes.
    Mike
  • Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    For vintage stuff I can see a premium for FASC as mentioned previously.

For mid-modern stuff (90's, etc) I don't see a point really. The 1994 SP case you linked is an example. If it is still factory sealed...and all the boxes are still factory sealed...there isn't a point (in my opinion). I was toying with the idea of getting my 1993 topps sealed rack box case BBCE wrapped as FASC (all 3 boxes), but ultimately decided against it. No point, really, in getting a factory sealed box wrapped let alone a case cracked open and every box wrapped with the FASC (or just the case itself wrapped). I understand that it is an additional "peace of mind" for the buyer that it hasn't been tampered with, but I think it is an unnecessary step.

Now the modern modern stuff I can sort of see a point. If there is a case of something new that has a "case hit" somewhere hiding in the boxes, then it would have some value buying a box that is FASC as oppose to just a sealed box. Of course, I would only pay for a box like that if I was really going for a case hit and if the case was being cracked, wrapped and shipped out at the same time. But then, just having a case cracked open and shipped out with each box still factory sealed serves the same purpose (assuming you trust the one who is breaking the case).

At the end of the day it is a value add in the eyes of some buyers because they trust BBCE. They have a great track record and the hobby trusts them. I wont pay more for a BBCE wrapped box (FASC or not) if it is already factory sealed, but it's obvious that others will.

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    If a box came out of a case that had already been broken, it's possible that the best cards have already been found. In the 1994 SP example, say somebody opened a box and got the A-Rod die-cut holoview card, then decided to sell the rest of the boxes, because he assumed that the odds of pulling another one would be lousy. From a sealed case implies that no box from the case has been opened.
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From a sealed case implies that no box from the case has been opened. >>

I'd be careful with that assumption. Definitely true at time of wrapping, but a box (or boxes) could be subsequently opened after wrapping... leaving the rest to be sold after landing a big hit or discovering a printing/cutting issue (i.e., diamond cut).
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'd be careful with that assumption. Definitely true at time of wrapping, but a box (or boxes) could be subsequently opened after wrapping... leaving the rest to be sold after landing a big hit or discovering a printing/cutting issue (i.e., diamond cut). >>

That's an excellent point.

• Options

<< <i>Yes, I will always a pay a premium for a vintage wax box labeled FASC because I then know for almost absolute certainty that the box wasn't a homemade box pieced together with loose packs gathered up over time. This FASC designation only really appeals to me on 1985 and earlier boxes. It is worth more to me having a factory original older box like that that is "case fresh" rather than having just a box of the same year with packs that could have came from different sources and accumulated over however long. Just another one of my personal collecting preferences. 1986 and later? Not so much, there is still so much out there (with exceptions of course), that it wouldn't matter to me. A 1989 Topps baseball wax box FASC? Nah... >>

I was only able to find 4 BBCE boxes on eBay that are From A Sealed Case (FASC) vs over 200 that are not.
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see the point with the SP's. That is why I avoid busing single Exquisite or National Treasures boxes off ebay. There is usually one really good box in each and the rest is average or less. >>

I wouldn't touch any modern, zero, unless it was a sealed case. The few modern cases I bought from various companies last year, my 10 year figured out where all the good packs were after about 1 hour of ripping into each one.

I know not everyone can afford a sealed case, but you re basically getting sloppy seconds buying anything modern that is not a sealed case. Even the 86 Fleer Jordan has production sequences, but people are still paying a fortune for these packs. I'm not an un-opened expert like some others here, but this astounds me.
    Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

<< <i>If a box came out of a case that had already been broken, it's possible that the best cards have already been found. In the 1994 SP example, say somebody opened a box and got the A-Rod die-cut holoview card, then decided to sell the rest of the boxes, because he assumed that the odds of pulling another one would be lousy. From a sealed case implies that no box from the case has been opened. >>

This
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'd be careful with that assumption. Definitely true at time of wrapping, but a box (or boxes) could be subsequently opened after wrapping... leaving the rest to be sold after landing a big hit or discovering a printing/cutting issue (i.e., diamond cut). >>

That's an excellent point. >>

OK, but how exactly are you supposed to know that this happened? FASC means exactly what it sounds like - it was wrapped when the case was opened for the very first time. What happens after that to each box is pretty much unknown, unless we think BBCE should start spec'ing out every case they do this with and start numbering the boxes from each case break.

At some point, it gets a little silly doesn't it?
  • Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    I think a BBCE wrap on a case adds tremendous value. Especially for Topps cases. Countless times you will see cases at shows and on ebay that are described as Factory sealed, but the tape has been removed, the staples out of place or even more silly, a picture of the boxes contained in the case next to the case carton itself. I don't want to buy a case from someone that says "case is factory sealed, but opened to verify contents." I would rather have an expert verify the packing and ensure that the case has never been opened in the first place.
  • Options
    or even more silly, a picture of the boxes contained in the case next to the case carton itself.Text

No this is hilarious. I have seen this, but forgot how funny it was until you reminded me. Thanks
    Prefer to buy in bulk.