Home Precious Metals
Options

ACA/health insurance and hospital stocks

Ok I guess I might get ripped for posting this. When a group of people don't like you, they find any excuse to criticize you. If you read some threads, you would think this is a politics forum. I realize healthcare stocks aren't exactly related to precious metals...but there are some stock market threads here. I have posted stock threads before. I admit this might not be kosher.

What do you make of the recent pullback in health insurance stocks like anthem, humana, aetna, and cigna? With the M&A fever in this area, do you think traders are just scared over mergers potentially being struck down by the DOJ?

Healthcare etfs and pharmaceutics continue to march higher, yet it seems every day, HMOs are declining.

Is this an attractive entry point to health care provider/insurance stocks?

Government compensation on medicare/medicaid may increase soon, dramatically in some areas. The P/E ratios of the aforementioned HMO stocks are high teens to low twenties...What do you see happening here on out in this area?

Positive BST transactions with Timbuk3, coindeuce, charlottedude.

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Profit taking.

I watch UNH as family is invested. Sometimes a YTD 20% needs to be taken. Gov backed healthcare isn't going long neg any time soon without a major event.

I enjoy the market threads btw, you're just new, don't take it personal.
  • Options
    hopsinhopsin Posts: 212
    I am trying to understand what your post means...you're saying people should be long healthcare/health insurance stocks?
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you trading or building a portfolio? If you're trying to do both you answered yourself and need to ponder for a minute.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    He just thinks out loud...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>Are you trading or building a portfolio? If you're trying to do both you answered yourself and need to ponder for a minute. >>

You didn't answer the question. Rawteam, other than thinking out loud and dropping in various threads to insult me, why don't you post something about healthcare stocks. You get on your computer waiting for my posts to get in the threads to insult me? Sure seems like it...
  • Options
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are my picks. Public predictions on various ticker symbols for everyone to see, along with my score. >>

Can't access the link without signing up for an account first......no thanks!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put on a partial position in AET today (1%).
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are my picks. Public predictions on various ticker symbols for everyone to see, along with my score. >>

When I click this link it brings me to Motley Fool ? What do they think of the health care insurers ?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    HMOs continue to drag lower on antitrust concerns...this is silly. This is getting hyped and protracted.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go long on Gold Bond Powder ™
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    While ACA continues to shrink the ability to earn wages for many healthcare providers... Still quite a few interesting technologies on the nyse.

Sunshine Heart
    abiomed
    Thoratec

I loge the world and advancements in short and longterm mechanical circulatory support in advanced heart failure
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options

<< <i>While ACA continues to shrink the ability to earn wages for many healthcare providers... Still quite a few interesting technologies on the nyse.

Sunshine Heart
    abiomed
    Thoratec

I loge the world and advancements in short and longterm mechanical circulatory support in advanced heart failure >>

Health insurance companies are making record profits.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not a stock forum.

Don't feed the trolls.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>This is not a stock forum.

Don't feed the trolls. >>

Ahhhhh, hopsin is the stock troll...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say feed em. Judging by page 1 we are about 3 threads away from being the Stamps Forum.

At this point if someone posted a thread titled "Make $75 an hour working from home" I'd probably click itimage
  • Options

<< <i>

I say feed em. Judging by page 1 we are about 3 threads away from being the Stamps Forum.

At this point if someone posted a thread titled "Make $75 an hour working from home" I'd probably click itimage >>

Stamps??? What u got???!!! ... Lol
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you make of the recent pullback in health insurance stocks? >>

Sure sign that the big money is moving to cash.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say with confidence that the population that posts had greatly dwindled in the last few years. People passing on, being banned, and tired of the forum police. These forums use to be a lot of fun...
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

At this point if someone posted a thread titled "Make $75 an hour working from home" I'd probably click itimage >>

Stamps??? What u got???!!! ... Lol >>

I actually bought sheets of stamps at a coin shop last week. image 13 cent signing of the declaration of independence stamps. Very cool actually the same scene from the back of the current 2$ bills is spread across 4 stamps. In another year the 4 stamps will be just right for mailing a letterimage
  • Options
    This town
    Is going like a ghost town.

All the clubs are being closed down.

This Place
    Is coming like a ghost town.

Bands won't play no more,
    To much fighting on the dance floor.

Do you remember the good old days before the ghost town?
    We danced and sang as the music played in any boomtown.

This town is going like a ghost town.
    Why must the youth fight against themselves?
    Government leaving the youth on the shelf.

This place is coming like a ghost town.
    No job to be found in this country.
    Can't go on no more.
    People getting angry.
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All right all ready. Geesh Rawteam breaking out the Jack & Coke no less.

Have a nice day
  • Options

Not exactly a healthcare or insurance stock but I bumped into this today , NUGENE International . NUGN is one of those goofy anti aging plays featuring stem cells or some other magic formula to turn back time , the kicker is its been pumped up to 3.50 a share in preparation for a big dump so some crafty insiders can make a killing .

Has anyone had luck shorting one of these manipulated penny stocks?