Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The 500 Home Run Club - My Signed OMLBs

When I was growing up, I loved hearing about the 500 home run club. I dreamed of going to the reunion show in 1988 or so, and still love that Ron Lewis print.

I posted on here awhile ago that when my grandmother passed away in 1988 that her neighbor gave me two signed baseballs as a thank you to the family for everything she did for him. She cooked for him a lot. One was a 1978 San Diego Padres team signed ball (sort of random but a good amount of HOFers on the ball: Dave Winfield, Ozzie Smith, Gaylord Perry, Billy Herman). The other one was this:

Then, as I have mentioned here numerous times I used to attend HOF Induction Weekend with my Dad every year. I don't remember the order of how I picked these up, but the Eddie Matthews, Harmon Killebrew, Frank Robinson and Reggie Jackson were all obtained at paid signings in Cooperstown during HOF weekend - sometime between 1991-1994 or so (also when inscriptions used to be free!).

Comments

• CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    Then I hit a bit of a lull, only about 20 years or so as high school, college, etc. got in the way. I picked the Gary Sheffield up through Meade Chaskey in 2007 or so:

Then about another two year lull, as I picked up a Jim Thome TTM during the summer of 2009:

In the fall of 2013, I knocked off two in a hurry when Tom Orr on Sports Collectors.net had both Mark McGwire and Willie McCovey at the same time:

Then last summer I picked up Eddie Murray in person at MAB's signing during HOF weekend. Very disappointed however, as they also had Ernie Banks appearing that weekend but not on the day I was in town.

I already have a ball/order in for Manny Ramirez during the National, and I plan on adding Frank Thomas during MAB's signing HOF weekend next weekend; bringing the total to 12. 12 down in about 25 years or so....not too bad huh?
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    That's an amazing collection. I'm working on the same set of autographed baseballs. Your Ted Williams is amazing!!! Congrats and keep posting your additions!
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com

<< <i>That's an amazing collection. I'm working on the same set of autographed baseballs. Your Ted Williams is amazing!!! Congrats and keep posting your additions! >>

Thanks for your kind words! I am pretty excited about it. Long time in the making! Definitely doable if you knock off a couple a year, and I don't plan on ever adding Fox, Ott or Ruth.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    You have a sweet collection. Some of my favorite memories from growing up are from going to shows and getting autographs from HOFers including a lot of the 500 HR club in the early 90's. Keep us updated on your progress.
    Steve
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome start to the 500 homer collection. There is something about the 500 homer club. I'm not an autograph collector but I have always been tempted to get some 500 homer auto's. Thanks for the post.
    Thanks for the nice compliments guys! I am really proud of this collection. I am such a spaz when it comes to having a focus on my collection.

Added Frank Thomas yesterday during HOF Induction Weekend in Cooperstown (at the Tunnicliffe Inn with MAB), bringing the total to 11/23. I bought a HOF logo baseball from the Fergie Jenkins Foundation, and really debated on where to have him sign it. I really like these HOF logo baseballs, and like when the signature is under the logo. But having everything on the sweet spot and then one under the logo would have driven me nuts. Anyways, Frank couldn't have been nicer. I handed the ball to him, and asked him to sign on the sweet spot. I wasn't thinking, and handed the ball what would have been logo upside down. He looked at it, and flipped it over before signing. I was also wearing a Derek Jeter t-shirt, and commented on how great of a guy Derek is, and can't wait until he's inducted. I asked for a pic, and then he thanked me for coming out. Couldn't have been nicer!

As long as Manny shows up to the National, I should have that one back in a few weeks.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more on frank thomas. I also got him at MAB at Cooperstown yesterday. What a class act. Couldn't have been nicer

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job on the collection and I especially like the 1950s Williams sig. I've also been building this collection but only with in-person autographs save for Ted Williams. I did manage to get Mickey Mantle the year before he died. I haven't gone for the steroid guys except Bonds. Are you going to try for the toughies like Ruth, Ott and Foxx?
    I was at work and on Sportscollectors.net reading about the disaster that Manny Ramirez was at this year's National. Left early before he should have been done signing, gave out horrible autographs, etc. Heard he ruined some pieces, and also read a story about how someone had a OMLB with 21 signatures of 500 Home Run Club members (Manny would have been 22) and the ball was swiped off the table. I get back into work mode, look at my email and see my concierge at work had sent me an email saying there was a package for me at the front desk. I knew it was my Manny ball from the National.

It's a bit off center, and not the best nor not the worst Manny scribble. I am just happy to have to never worry about when his next public appearance will be; how much, what he's signing, when, if he'll show up, etc. Just glad it's over.

12 down, 11 realistically to go (Bonds, Aaron, ARod, Mays, Griffey, Sosa, Palmeiro, Pujols, Schmidt, Mantle, and Banks). At this rate I will have this thing wrapped up in the next 25 years or so.
  • Compared to some Mannys that were given out, I'd say you did really well!