Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1939D MS66FS Jefferson for sale - "SOLD"

Current pop is 8 with 3 higher. At least 3 of the 8 MS66FS are already in registry sets. The MS67FS are already / were in registry sets (Mint/Stockford/Corso).

The coin has strong steps and is a solid MS66FS.

PM with offers.
(The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank: Good luck with the sale!

I got to thinking about those (3) 39(d) coins in MS67FS you mentioned (I believe I sold all 3 pieces at one time or another). The Mint collection was sold off last year so that coin is elsewhere now. You have one. The Stockford collection was also sold off this year so that MS67FS is "floating around" somewhere as well. With all the collections being opened and closed these days, you never really can be sure what coins are actually available anymore!

As more and more collectors register and then shut down, a "pop 3" coin can end up being in 5 or 10 great all time collections! I am beginning to see this with the MS Wash quarters. Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Mitch:

In the last week or so, 3 new MS66FS were made and 3 new MS65FS were made. Very few were made during the previous 6 months. The MS67FS pop has not changed. These are definitely tuff coins with a total pop in FS of 21.

I'm curious where the two tops sets went (Mint & Stockford). I think one was resold shortly after it was purchased.

I have not seen any of the "key" coins from either set come on the market. My guess is the owner(s) purchased the MS68FS that were sold in the last few months. Any idea what the set rating would be for either set?

Frank

PS The 1939D MS66FS is still for sale.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "In the last week or so, 3 new MS66FS were made and 3 new MS65FS were made"

Frank: I bought (2) of the MS65FS for stock. Would you PM me with a price on your MS66FS please.

I had the opportunity last month to view a high grade 1939(d) Jefferson nickel TYPE 1 with "full steps". What a remarkable coin. Of course, all (3) of the PCGS-MS67FS coins are TYPE 2 FULL STEPS, all coming from a single original roll of coins! Of course, there is no certainty that the TY 1 will grade FS at PCGS as the coin has the "as perfectly struck" very slight areas of merger a FS TY 1 coin will have. But, I will likely submit the coin next month for a shot.

I wouldn't be surprised to see PCGS designate Ty 1 and Ty 2 coins in the years ahead as the present standard on 1938-39 Jeffersons is akin to applying the same standard to a Ty 1 and Ty 2 SLQ quarter for Full Head even though the dies used for Ty 1 and Ty 2 are completely diferent. Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    has it been sold ?
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I wouldn't be surprised to see PCGS designate Ty 1 and Ty 2 coins in the years ahead as the present standard on 1938-39 Jeffersons is akin to applying the same standard to a Ty 1 and Ty 2 SLQ quarter for Full Head even though the dies used for Ty 1 and Ty 2 are completely diferent"

Could not agree with you more. For a Rev of 38 Jef that is absolutely, totally, 100% fully struck and pristine (no marks) in the steps not to receive an FS designation, because Rev of 40 grading standards are applied, is intuitively wrong.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    Congrats on the sale!

I agree with Ronyahski that '38s can be %100 fully struck and should carry the same weight as a fully struck later date. It does seem funny to call them "full steps" though...