Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Franchise Four: Greatest living players

Bench? Come on ... a great ballplayer ... a WELL deserving HOFer ... but one of the top 4 greatest living players? NO WAY.

I think we would all agree that Aaron and Mays are the top 2. So excluding them, 1 of the 2 best? Sorry.

Do you think I'm way off on this?
STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    I think because the ASG was in Cincinnati (and that Rose wasn't an option), they needed a Reds player

JMO

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I think because the ASG was in Cincinnati (and that Rose wasn't an option), they needed a Reds player
    JMO ... IMF >>

Exactly what I said to my daughter as we were watching that moment on TV. Yeah sure, THE PEOPLE voted. LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think because the ASG was in Cincinnati (and that Rose wasn't an option), they needed a Reds player

JMO

IMF >>

+1

I would agree with Doug, even though Bench was my childhood idle.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

JMO

IMF >>

+1

I would agree with Doug, even though Bench was my childhood idle. >>

He was that lazy, huh John? image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    No to Bench. A total joke on that one, imo. And if we are talking about living pitchers, I'm not sure Koufax was better than Bob Gibson as far as overall greatness.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on who you ask I guess. If you ask Rickey Henderson, well...
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

JMO

IMF >>

+1

I would agree with Doug, even though Bench was my childhood idle. >>

He was that lazy, huh John? image >>

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No to Bench. A total joke on that one, imo. And if we are talking about living pitchers, I'm not sure Koufax was better than Bob Gibson as far as overall greatness. >>

Nolan Ryan isn't the greatest living pitcher? Really?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No to Bench. A total joke on that one, imo. And if we are talking about living pitchers, I'm not sure Koufax was better than Bob Gibson as far as overall greatness. >>

Nolan Ryan isn't the greatest living pitcher? Really? >>

Really. He's a deserving HOFer and 7 no hitters are nice and flashy, but he never had a single season as dominant as the SEVERAL both Koufax and Gibson delivered in their prime. I would also rank Seaver better than Ryan and several others are close. Again, I'm not saying Ryan wasn't great. I'm just saying a couple of guys were greater. I think I'll rank Ryan 4th greatest living pitcher.
  • Options
    I think Aaron & Mays were the only locks. I can see Bench; after all is is generally regarded as the greatest catcher of all time. Koufax at his peak shined brighter than anyone - but of course he doesn't have the career length of other pitchers who would be considered (Carlton, Johnson, etc...). Someone upthread mentioned Henderson, I could see that too. I'd also throw Ken Griffey Jr's name into the mix. Heck, I suppose you could also consider Albert Pujols for that matter. Mike Schmidt? Jeter?
  • Options

<< <i>I think Aaron & Mays were the only locks. I can see Bench; after all is is generally regarded as the greatest catcher of all time. Koufax at his peak shined brighter than anyone - but of course he doesn't have the career length of other pitchers who would be considered (Carlton, Johnson, etc...). Someone upthread mentioned Henderson, I could see that too. I'd also throw Ken Griffey Jr's name into the mix. Heck, I suppose you could also consider Albert Pujols for that matter. Mike Schmidt? Jeter? >>

I think Aaron, Mays, and Pujols are 3 of the greatest living players. How many other guys have hit 500 homeruns and had a career batting average right at .300 or better?
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that Mays and Aaron were the only locks. Bench doesn't belong, but I'm ok with Koufax. I would strongly consider Maddux or Randy Johnson for the 4th spot. It's funny, but these honors almost always go to players who have long since retired. There should be more love for modern players.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Mays
    Aaron

Bench
    Frank Rrobinson

Rose
    Koufax
    Schmidt
    Carlton
    Gibson
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Really. He's a deserving HOFer and 7 no hitters are nice and flashy, but he never had a single season as dominant as the SEVERAL both Koufax and Gibson delivered in their prime. I would also rank Seaver better than Ryan and several others are close. Again, I'm not saying Ryan wasn't great. I'm just saying a couple of guys were greater. I think I'll rank Ryan 4th greatest living pitcher. >>

I guess the teams around them had no impact on that, huh?

Ryan's stretch from 72-77 is just stupid, and not one winning Angels team in there. Not one.

"Deserving HOFer" - I got good laugh out of that.

Frank Robinson is a good call. If you talk about the "art of pitching", I could definitely go with Maddux.

• Options

<< <i>I think Aaron, Mays, and Pujols are 3 of the greatest living players. How many other guys have hit 500 homeruns and had a career batting average right at .300 or better? >>

Fans almost forgot how great Pujols. He wasn't even on the top 4 Cardinals.
  • Options
    stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Anybody notice Nolan Ryan made the Fab Four for 3 teams (only exception was the Mets).

Also, Vlad Guerrero for two teams (Expos, Angels).

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Really. He's a deserving HOFer and 7 no hitters are nice and flashy, but he never had a single season as dominant as the SEVERAL both Koufax and Gibson delivered in their prime. I would also rank Seaver better than Ryan and several others are close. Again, I'm not saying Ryan wasn't great. I'm just saying a couple of guys were greater. I think I'll rank Ryan 4th greatest living pitcher. >>

I guess the teams around them had no impact on that, huh?

Ryan's stretch from 72-77 is just stupid, and not one winning Angels team in there. Not one. >>

No, you're right, whether a pitcher is surrounded by a "winning team" has no bearing on his greatness. I'm glad we agree on that. Unless you're one of those people who measures a pitcher by his win total image Most knowledgeable baseball fans use stats like ERA and WHIP to measure a pitcher's individual greatness. Look at those stats during Koufax's best 4-5 year stretch. Look at them during Gibson's best 4-5 year stretch. And then look at them during Ryan's prime. Like I said, "not close." And while Cy Young awards are not the best measure of a pitcher, I do think it says something that Ryan was never considered the best pitcher in his league. Not one single time.

Again, this might be misconstrued as Ryan bashing, and that's not my intent. In fact, in looking at it more closely, I think a case can be made that he was as great or greater than Seaver. But Koufax and Gibson are my top 2 living pitchers.
  • Options
    raykasaraykasa Posts: 186 ✭✭
    he may not be able due to health, but i thought Yogi Berra should be considered....
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ryan's strikeouts stats in the 70's were flat out amazing, enough to keep him up there IMO. Statistically speaking, it would be appropriate to include Randy Johnson & Greg Maddux in the discussion as well for ranking best living pitchers.
  • Options
    Reggie !!!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I would agree with Doug, even though Bench was my childhood idle.

He was that lazy, huh John? image >>

My mind immediately went to adjusting the idle on a carburetor but I must say, I like yours better hahaha
  • Options
    I think the word 'greatest' in these lists refers to the pantheon level of greatness. That level of greatness where sometimes legend and fact get blurred. No doubt Mays and Aaron belong - there is no dispute.

Bench and Koufax, as the discussion here has shown, are probably on the list for a combination of what they did on the field and the developed legend once they stepped off of it. True, you could probably stock a roster full of pitchers who had better statistical careers than Koufax. But that stretch of 1963-66 was just stupid, almost mythical. The whole stepping out on top, and at such a young age, and then maintaining a modicum of privacy in retirement, gives rise to the legend. That is why he is on the list.

As for Bench, being recognized as the best catcher ever, and being from Cincinnatti (I have to admit the box was probably 'stuffed' in his favor), gave him the nod. I would venture to say that even Yaz or Schmidt would have been a better choice than Bench. But neither of those two have the overall (read league-wide) 'pantheon' recognition that Bench has.

FWIW - my four - Aaron, Mays, Ripken, Ryan, although you could talk me into taking Randy Johnson over Ryan.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays and Aaron deserve to be on the list. Koufax, there's some romanticism going on there I'm afraid. Love Koufax, but no, just no. I'd take Schmidt >> Bench. If folks want to exclude certain players for whatever reason, I don't see how Mays, Aaron, Schmidt and Pujols would have been a bad 4. All greats, some greater than others. All opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>No, you're right, whether a pitcher is surrounded by a "winning team" has no bearing on his greatness. I'm glad we agree on that. Unless you're one of those people who measures a pitcher by his win total. :0 >>

You want to ignore the quality of the teams around these guys, I think it's paramount to the analysis. Koufax and Gibson played for perennial contenders and Championship teams. Ryan played for teams competing for 5th place - in the West. Which goes a long way toward explaining that lack of Cy Young awards.

<< <i>Most knowledgeable baseball fans use stats like ERA and WHIP to measure a pitcher's individual greatness. >>

Yeah, kind of like most statisticians use the ones that make their case and ignore the rest? image

Team wins for Angels 1973-1977 = max 79, avg 73.8 (they never finished above .500 in that span!)
    Dodgers 1962-1966 = max 102, avg 94.6
    Cardinals 1968-1972 = max 97, avg 85

"Decisions per start" and "% of teams wins"
    Ryan - 93%, 25.3%
    Koufax - 82.4%, 23.6%
    Gibson - 91.1%, 23.8%

<< <i>Like I said, "not close." >>

Just depends on the stats you want to use, ultimately there's more to consider even beyond the stats. It may not be clear, and that's fine, but to say it's "not close" is an emotional response, not an intellectual one. Which is partly why we all love the game so much. image

Koufax is your WHIP winner (.935 - WHAT?!?!?), heck he's probably your 5 consecutive year winner pretty easily. But he doesn't win the longevity component, and if you use 10 years a basis for that Gibson probably gets a slight nod. But it's pretty close and again Ryan played mostly for junkers.

For me personally, many of Ryan's stats are so overwhelmingly better (and yes, some are "show stats" like Ks but in the end Wins are Wins and then there's 12 ONE-hitters that don't get discussed that often), when you then account for him playing for such awful teams most of the time I think it's easy to build a case. It's absolutely CLOSE, if nothing else.

In terms of others, Berra was another guy I thought about as well.
  • Options
    While I still maintain that being on a "winning team" has scarcely any impact on ERA and WHIP, which are the most individually driven pitching stats, I will concede that my "not close" comment isn't true. I have a bad habit of hyperbole. I'm happy to agree to disagree.

With that being said, I'm not sure what my 4 would be. Mays and Aaron are locks. I think my group of finalists for the last 2 spots is Gibson, Koufax, Schmidt, Frank Robinson, Bench and Rickey Henderson. But do more modern guys deserve consideration, like Maddux, Pedro and Griffey? I just don't know.
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure even Johnny Bench was like what am I doing out here?
    Nikklos
  • Options

<< <i>Mays and Aaron deserve to be on the list. Koufax, there's some romanticism going on there I'm afraid. Love Koufax, but no, just no. I'd take Schmidt >> Bench. If folks want to exclude certain players for whatever reason, I don't see how Mays, Aaron, Schmidt and Pujols would have been a bad 4. All greats, some greater than others. All opinion. >>

I am with you on a Mays, Aaron, and Pujols combo. Pujols being the current player with 3 MVP's, 546 homeruns, a .315 career average, 2,600+ hits and still going does it for me on him. My fourth hitter would probably have to be Frank Robinson. Frank was so underrated, imo. Griffey Jr and Schmidt aren't bad picks on the living guys either for that 4th spot.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think my four would be Aaron, Mays, Bonds, and Clemens. Maybe Pujols instead of Clemens.
  • Options
    Barry Bonds is the Greatest Living Baseball Player . Then Willie Mays , Arod , and Clemens .

These old farts with Koufax and Johnny Bench . Sandy Koufax isn't even one of the Four Greatest Living Pitchers . Clemens , Maddux, Randy Johnson , and Nolan Ryan were all better than Koufax .
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised it took so long for someone to name Bonds. He is definitely in the top 3 with Mays and Aaron. He dominated pre-PED and took it to another level at the height of the PED era. He won seven MVP's including three in four years before his hat size changed. With apologies to Braves fans, he probably should have won four in a row during that early 90's stretch. In the era where PEDs were prevalent and not illegal for the sport he dominated like no other.
    Steve
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Bonds
    Mays
    Rose
    Henderson

I left the known racist off the list.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

<< <i>I am surprised it took so long for someone to name Bonds. He is definitely in the top 3 with Mays and Aaron. He dominated pre-PED and took it to another level at the height of the PED era. He won seven MVP's including three in four years before his hat size changed. With apologies to Braves fans, he probably should have won four in a row during that early 90's stretch. In the era where PEDs were prevalent and not illegal for the sport he dominated like no other. >>

Bonds left the Pirates with 176 homeruns with a career batting average in the low .280's if I recall correctly. I have heard others say he reminded them of a better version of his dad before PEDs. I agree with that. Bonds might have been a 400 career home run guy clean. He probably would have made the HOF, but the numbers wouldn't have been anything close to how they turned out. A healthy Griffey Jr was the better player of the 2 back then.

garnettstyle, I see what you did there. After knowing what he said, it's hard to look at him the same, I know. He really disappointed me. I try to look at him like I do Pete Rose and focus on what they did on the field as opposed to what I know they are about as a person.
  • Options
    Bonds won 2 MVPs and was runner up the other year within a three year span as a Pirate. Simply batting average is one of the most misleading stats (almost as misleading as a pitcher's win total) by which to accurately gauge the ability and impact of a player. Even the normally myopic writers realized that when voting back then.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Bonds won 2 MVPs and was runner up the other year within a three year span as a Pirate. Simply batting average is one of the most misleading stats (almost as misleading as a pitcher's win total) by which to accurately gauge the ability and impact of a player. Even the normally myopic writers realized that when voting back then. >>

I know he won the MVP's, but who was his real competition? Griffey and Frank Thomas were in the other league.

Bonds average right at 25 homeruns a year for the Pirates. He would have had to do that for at least 16 seasons without breaking down with age to have reached 400.
  • Options
    I went and looked Bonds' numbers up and just realized he had 4 years with the Pirates where he didn't drive in more than 59 runs. Without PED's Bonds wasn't nearly the player, nor would his career statistics been anywhere close to where they ended up. Not to mention the PED's helped add years to his career to compile career numbers that would not have happened if he was clean.

He left the Pirates after seven full seasons of compiling a .275 average, 176 homeruns, and 556 rbi's. Most clean players start breaking down in their early to mid 30's. So let project Bonds another 10 seasons as a clean player and where would the stats would have been?
  • Options
    You're going to dig deeper than the simple home runs, rbi and batting average to gauge how good Barry was while on the Pirates. There's a valid reason he won those MVPs and then a third MVP the season after leaving the Pirates. Perhaps skinpinch or dallasactuary will chime in here to enlighten though I know dallas can't stand Barry, personally, lol..

• Options

<< <i>You're going to dig deeper than the simple home runs, rbi and batting average to gauge how good Barry was while on the Pirates. There's a valid reason he won those MVPs and then a thurd MVP the season after leaving the Pirates. Perhaps skinpinch or dallasactuary will chime in here to enlighten though I know dallas can't stand Barry, personally, lol.. >>

MVP's are not as hard to win if you competition is not all that strong. Like I said, Frank Thomas and Griffey Jr were in the other league. I guess you could also toss Canseco's name in too since he was a dominant force in the AL at that time.

Barry could run, but had a weak arm in the outfield. So what else do you have if you want to discount the career batting average of .275, 25 homers, and less than 80 RBI's a year?
  • Options
    Start looking at Barry"s stats from 1990 forward: OBP%, SLG%, OPS, OPS+. An OPS+ of 100 is considered average. Barry doubled that in both his MVP seasons while with the Pirates. He was putting up monster numbers during that era.

• Options

<< <i>Start looking at Barry"s stats from 1990 forward: OBP%, SLG%, OPS, OPS+. An OPS+ of 100 is considered average. Barry doubled that in both his MVP seasons while with the Pirates. He was putting up monster numbers during that era. >>

I see them. He was reaching his peak and that would have came back down as he reached his early to mid 30's just like it has for every other clean player as they age and break down. Barry Bonds would have been more of an Andrew McCutchen without PED's than anything. A good flashy player, but not an all time great, imo.
  • Options
    You are entitled to your opinion.

• Options

<< <i>You are entitled to your opinion. >>

Everyone is.

Bonds finished 7 full seasons with the Pirates. He left with a .275 batting average, 176 hrs, 556 rbi's. Let's take a clean Barry and give him the benefit of the doubt and say he would have averaged 30 a season for the next 10 years without breaking down(next to impossible). That would have placed him as a clean and aging 37 year old with 476 homeruns and a batting average more than likely in the high .270 something range. Where does he rank then? A better on base version of Dale Murphy or Eric Davis?
  • Options
    If you don't believe Barry wasn't already a first ballot HOFer before he began using PEDs, there's no point in taking this conversation further. Carry on.. image

ETA: And again, batting average is a very superficial stat by which to gauge a hitter, despite the backs of baseball cards. image

• Options

<< <i>If you don't believe Barry wasn't already a first ballot HOFer before he began using PEDs, there's no point in taking this conversation further. Carry on.. image >>

Where did I say that? If you go back and look at my first comment on Bonds, it's just the opposite of what you are implying.

A clean Bonds would have more than likely been a 400HR/400SB guy, with a career batting average in the .270's, with an on base near .400.
  • Options

<< <i>Bonds
    Mays
    Rose
    Henderson

I left the known racist off the list. >>

+1
    I totally hear what you are saying. Surprised he doesn't get enough bad publicity for his comments. Surprised his card values are still high too.
  • Options
    My fantastic 4:
    Mays
    Bonds
    Clemens
    Pujols
  • Options
    1all1all Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    Here's the definitive list:

1. Mays
    2. Aaron
    3. Ted Williams's Cryogenic Head
    4. Frank Robinson

-Doug (1all)
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Bonds won 2 MVPs and was runner up the other year within a three year span as a Pirate. Simply batting average is one of the most misleading stats (almost as misleading as a pitcher's win total) by which to accurately gauge the ability and impact of a player. Even the normally myopic writers realized that when voting back then. >>

I know he won the MVP's, but who was his real competition? Griffey and Frank Thomas were in the other league.

Bonds average right at 25 homeruns a year for the Pirates. He would have had to do that for at least 16 seasons without breaking down with age to have reached 400. >>

National league had better pitching.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    MLB wanted at least 1 pitcher & fans gave SANDY KOUFAX the most votes.