Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Met Wade Boggs and Fred McGriff last night :) *Edit - Added photo of McGriff at the Party

So last week, my friend tells me about a party that he is going to. Says its his good friends 60th bday party. He asks me if I want to come. Its a house party. He told me that amongst the guest, Wade Boggs and Fred McGriff would be there as they already RSVP'd. Also, the musical gust will be Day Otis (Animal House Toga Party Scene Band Leader). So I say sure. So naturally I grab some cards and bring them with me just in case the moment is right where I feel comfortable to ask for an auto. So the party was last night and as soon as I walk in, there is Wade Boggs in shorts and sandals. I make quick eye contact but just keep looking around. The house was huge and is packed with people. Its open bar and catering by Carrabbas Italian Grill. Later as I'm by the bar, I see Otis Day walking around. Of course he's a lot older but he was still very cool and stylish. He seemed really chill and approachable and so he takes a picture with me. Then I hear Fred McGriff has arrived. Not hard to spot him as him and Otis were the only black guys there lol. Later on I pass by the line to the open bar and I see my buddy in the 5 minute line waiting with everyone and Crime Dog was behind him and they are having a convo. Fred seems very nice but he was very low key. Arrived with some friends but didnt socialize to much when I would see him. He wasn't rude or anything, he was just blending in like anyone else. Then later I am playing ping pong and the home owners brother along with his wife are next ti me and we are talking and Fred Walks by and so the brother introduces himself and asks if he can sign his ball. Fred obliges without hesitation and then the brother also asks if I can take a picture of them and so I do. I didn't ask him for his auto just because i didnt want to ask immediately after this person did so I just tell myself I'll catch him later. So on the baseball, I look and I see Wades auto on there too. I asked the brother if Wade was tough to get and he tells me that he wont say no, but the best time to get him is after he has a few drinks.

So later on as the night goes on, I overhear someone say that Fred left. I was thinking I missed my chance. Let me get Boggs asap before that chance passes. So Boggs has been sitting down with about two other couples that he came with and they are there just hanging out for a few hours. By this time there is a big crowd at the party, everyone's drinking, having a great time. Otis has already played his first set (doing two more). So I see Boggs get up. His cards say 6'2 but he aint no 6'2 lol. He looks like 5'10/11 max and is going back for a refill and so I walk up next to him and introduce myself and apologize for asking this request but I tell him that I watched him play as a child and that if I can have his auto. He says sure without hesitation. I tell him I have the cards in the car and that I'll go get them and find him in a bit. So I get the cards, come back to his spot and I give him 4 cards. The first one he signed, he gave me a nice inscription with it. The other 3, he signs very nicely as well but just his auto. As he is signing, I tell him that although I am 35 today, I was 8, 9 years old when I was first watching him play and that my first ever issue of SI had him on the cover and that I will probably never get this chance again. He is very nice about the whole ordeal. Then asks for my name, he extends his hand and shakes it and says nice to meet you Marc and I said Thank you Mr. Boggs. You too.

All in all it was a very cool experience and I also have a pretty funny story from meeting him that I will keep for myself but I cant express how nice both McGriff and Boggs were and they seemed humble/down to earth an low key. Just to even say I was at a house party with both these guys in itself was a cool experience.

So earlier this week, I went through a couple of my card albums and I picked out my favorites of his. I have owned his rookie a few times but I didn't have on with me so I went with his 84. I have like 3 copies and this was the best one I had. Then I grabbed his 88 Topps because that card has a great action shot and if he said that he would only sign one, I would have gone with that one. Also pulled out his 1991 TSC because that is just an awesome shot. I thought about going with his 1991 Topps as well (beautiful card) but mine was OC so I left that one behind. And he last one I got was his 86 Donruss. Always liked that set and its a good clean shot of him up close. Here are the cards below. Thanks for reading all that image

Comments

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    Great story. I probably would have chickened out. Congrats on the autos and a nice memory.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome, Marc! I probably would have chickened out as well. image
  • Options
    Cool story and great looking cards! I go to an annual charity dinner where players are signing. My first year I got McGriff's auto and I agree that he was a super nice, humble guy. Killer forearms, right?? Boggs was at the dinner the year before and my dad and brother went, but I was unable to attend. Anyways, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    DtyDty Posts: 310 ✭✭
    Nice to hear real down to earth stories of guys we grew up watching/cheering for.....congrats.
    Link to my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/halftimecardsandcollectibles/

Unopened Boxes, Packs, Cards, and Tickets

Just send me a PM or email me for discount off eBay pricing. Thanks
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Marc ... thanks for sharing! Enjoy the cards. I'm sure the memories of that night will last a lifetime.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Like the choice of cards.

thanks for sharing
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Fred is really down to earth and super nice. I work as an associate for the Braves and we got to play a very funny prank on Fred during the draft. He is very genuine and accomodating. Wade likes his beer so this story doesn't surprise me a bit. Two great hitters in their time. Maybe Fred will get a chance to join Wade in the HOF. VOTE FOR FRED!
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    This is awesome. I have a feeling I'd wet my pants if I tried to start a conversation with a childhood baseball idol. Those are some nice cards to get signed. I always liked his 84 Fleer and 86 Donruss.
  • Options
    Thanks fellas. Glad to hear good things about them as well from other people who have encountered them. And yes, I was nervous. I thought I would be more intimadated by Boggs but when I saw him in a comfort setting with close friends, I knew he would be pleasant and approachable.

Although Boggs looks like a normal guy at the party, McGriff still looked like he was in awesome shape. He did say that he plays a lot of golf these days and he goes to the gym about 3 times a week.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing that story Marc. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Glad you had a great time and hopefully you'll get invited again sometime.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Not only wanted to say show these beauties off but to also publicly say thanks to alifaxwa2 (Jeffrey) for letting me get in on his sub. That was very nice of him and I certainly appreciate his help in not only sending them off to PSA for me but for packaging them back up so nicely too. Probably the best I've seen on this board to be completely honest.

Thanks Jeffrey!

Marc

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Marc

Missed your thread - was the start of our vacation.

I really enjoyed your post. Suggestion - lighten up on the fact that you were a mere child when he played. Makes the guy feel old. image

Serious - was a great night - Otis thingy was really cool!!! Sorry you missed out on the Crime Dog - glad you got Boggs.

They look great in the holder!
    Mike
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats Marc.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    Great story Marc, I actually read the whole thing image.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do look nice in holder

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Wow, what a great experience, Marc. The auto'd cards are sweet too!
  • Options
    I missed this one when you originally posted....great story and experience!

You do live a charmed life!

Any idea how many beers Boggs drank that night?

ps - I received the Fernandez = sweet card that made my Son's mailday!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    Thanks again guys for taking the time to read that. Looking back now on that night, it was a lot of fun. My favorite ones in the holders are the 88 Topps followed by then 1991 TSC. I just really love both of those photos. The 84 was the first one I handed him out of the four which got a HOF inscription which I thought was a nice little bonus that I wasnt expecting and then the 86 Donruss. Not the best centered but really sharp card all around.

Glad you got the Fernandez auto Mike (flcardtrader). It really is a beautiful card. I have one more signed (same card) but that one is sitting at my desk at work. I did get the Yelich (my favorite Marlins player) back today that was also obtained in person. I have his Topps 2015 which I need to get holdered as well along with a few more others. When baseball season starts again, remind me and I'll hook you up with a Yelich auto.

Here is also a picture I took of my friend who was in line waiting for a beer and behind him was crimedog lol. They were having a convo and he was kind enough to let me take a photo of him and my buddy.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed this thread the first go round. Nice story and glad it worked out.

He is said to be a legendary beer drinker and can slam over 50 beers in a sitting so I bet he was having a good time at the party.

On an interesting side note. His hunting buddy was Curt Hennig who is no longer with us but saved Wade's life on a hunting trip in 2001.