Home Sports Talk
Options

Whats the deal with MLB network?

garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
Do they have a contract with certain select teams? They have yet to televise a game with my team this year. Seems like they show the same 6 teams.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

Comments

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Of course. It has always been that way, which includes network baseball as well. I commented in another thread that I started watching baseball in 1973, and it wasn't until 1978 or 1979 that I saw a game involving the Minnesota Twins. It was the Dodgers, Reds, Mets, Yankees, Orioles, Tigers, Red Sox, Phillies, Pirates, and Royals when I was a kid. Everybody else was not important.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    not certain about individual team contracts, but I wouldn't think so. When MLB Network first started up all 30 major league teams ponied up the same million dollar investment in the network so there shouldn't be any teams left out of coverage unless there is a blackout situation. If your local team isn't blacked out on MLB Network when your local RSN is also carrying the game, I'm not sure what the issue is for you. Being in the Chicago area, the games that our local game carriers (CSN Chicago, WGN or our local ABC affiliate) are also carrying in conjunction with those games also airing on MLB Network at the same time, the RSN takes precedence and it will render MLB Network's coverage to be blacked out and we'll get an alternate game (or nothing if there are no other games occurring at that time). If that's not your issue, since MLB Network isn't splitting regional coverage like ESPN or Fox, perhaps your team is Milwaukee or the D-Backs or some similar small market team and it could simply be that they're just going after national ratings earners (Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs etc). I've noticed in recent years the amount of Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers and Angels games on MLB Network have seemed to multiply by about 10 games per year. Also of note, since MLB Network only produces one game per week on their own, they always stay close to their NY area base. Their produced games are almost always NY teams or Philly/Baltimore/Washington games....though not so much Philly anymore on account of them being bad at baseball.
  • Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to believe they would contract with any team. They are probably just showing games that they think people would watch given the size of the market and quality of the teams.

Matt