Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1979 Topps Gretzky Pull - Grading Question

I don't typically do this but I happened to pull this card from a pack recently and my first impression was that it may have been a solid catch. I am very unfamiliar with this set and this card in particular however, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how this might grade. Of note, my scanner sucks and really does not do it justice. It picked up a bunch of artifacts, particularly the "snowy" appearance throughout and small dirt marks on the top left of the photo frame, all which are not present on the actual card. Also the tiny black line on the ice (left of oilers logo) looks to be something that may have been in the card saver and is not actually a print defect.

Comments

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Great pull!

Can you provide scans and leave the scanner top open? Will give a black background and we can see the corners and edges better.

I've subbed hundreds of 1979 Topps cards and this looks like an 8.5 to 9.
  • Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    Couple (better) and more representative pics decided to take with the camera image. Scratches at the top of the first pic are on the case, not the card.

• Options
    Top left corner might keep it out of a 9, however, I've seen a few 9s with a corner like that.

Probably an 8 on the first try. I'd review for an 8.5 bump. If you get the 8.5 on the first sub, I'd consider trying once for the 9.
  • Options
    A 9 would blow my mind.. I did check some of the available 9's that I could locate and didn't see a whole lot distinguishing the majority of them from mine, though my prognostications when it comes to these types of comparisons have been notoriously off.
  • Options
    Well, think of it this way...you can sell an 8 or 8.5 for what 9s were selling for 18 months ago image

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on pulling such a beautiful card. Very high end centering. I have never subbed this card before, but I would think that the top left corner would be a problem in getting a 9. Certainly not out of the question though. Based on the scans I would think anything from 8 through 9 would be in play. Good luck with the sub.
    Steve
  • Options
    Nice clean centered card. However the top left corner keeps it from a 9. There looks to be a little ding on top right corner too so I say most likely an 8.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    We've all seen 9s that look exactly like that, but none of us ever seem to get them on a big card. That said, if that card is not an 8.5, based on the scans, I do not know what else the grade exists for.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    trimmed*

*totally kidding, just the auto-mentality round these here parts.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Really nice pull. That set in general is a bear. Good luck!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Just an awesome pull and great card.

Most likely an 8....but a very nice high end 8. A 9 would just be the bomb. Let's hope.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get that puppy in the mail today!

That card looks fantastic. Great centering. Hopefully the top corner is just barely touched and only on the front.

I think you have a chance at a 9 on this card with how strong the rest of the attributes are.

Good luck and nice score either way!
  • Options
    i think you can triple your money...the $200 pack just turned into a $600 psa 8 card.

nice one.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Way to go. Is that from one of the Probstein auctions last week?
  • Options
    RyanAdmirerRyanAdmirer Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I'd say a 5, but with the Centering so great on that one I'd love to give you 6 money for it today. image

That one's in the 8-9 range....I agree with the others that top left corner probably keeps it an 8.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    RaulsmasterRaulsmaster Posts: 663 ✭✭
    Those corner issues are minute and this card should be in a 9 holder. If that ends up an 8 it's a travesty
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Top left corner might keep it out of a 9, however, I've seen a few 9s with a corner like that.

Probably an 8 on the first try. I'd review for an 8.5 bump. If you get the 8.5 on the first sub, I'd consider trying once for the 9. >>

Mr mullins has nailed it.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the replies and optimism. Gonna get this puppy out soon and pay for fast turnaround. Will be sure to update the thread when it pops!!
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Wooo! Awesome score! Good luck with the grade. I can see it anywhere from an 8 to a 9. Hope it's a 9.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can barely imagine how much fun that must have been to pull from a pack.

• Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    I can barely imagine how much fun that must have been to pull from a pack.

+1
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Definite 8 with some 8.5 potential, but that top left corner will probably keep it out of a 9 holder.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    It just popped!

1 1 24535155 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1979 Topps 18 Wayne Gretzky Card

Given the responses, this seemed to be the most likely result, despite my optimism! For those who thought there was 8.5 or 9 potential, do you suggest I send for review or crack and resub? I'm personally a bit weary of cracking, as while unlikely, I have had a few cards damaged attempting this in the past.
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it, no point throwing money are reviews, it's in the right slab.

Great card!
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭

<< <i>It just popped!

1 1 24535155 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1979 Topps 18 Wayne Gretzky Card

Given the responses, this seemed to be the most likely result, despite my optimism! For those who thought there was 8.5 or 9 potential, do you suggest I send for review or crack and resub? I'm personally a bit weary of cracking, as while unlikely, I have had a few cards damaged attempting this in the past. >>

Congrats. Very cool card. I'd be happy with the an 8 but I wouldn't be surprised to see it bumped to an 8.5 if you did a review. I wouldn't crack and resub, just send it in as is. I got an 8 on an '86 OPC Patrick Roy about 6 months ago and subbed it in for review two times (along with a couple other cards) since then. The first time it was bumped from an 8 to an 8.5. The second time it bumped from an 8.5 to a 9.
  • Options
    Congrats!

I wouldn't want to crack the card out for fear of damaging the card (especially with the new PSA cases).

I would send it in for a review. If it doesn't bump wait a little bit longer and send it in again. The monetary difference in 8 and 8.5 on this card is big and because of this I would send it in several times to get it in the correct holder. The chance of it bumping from 8.5 to 9 is slim, though. When it comes time to sell bidders will pay a big premium for that slim 8.5 to 9 chance.

Davis -- Congrats on the double bump!
  • Options
    Sent the card back for review under super express service ($4,999 max value). Got the email that it was received around 10:00AM and it popped about an hour ago. Super excited with the results.

1 1 24535155 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1979 Topps 18 Wayne Gretzky Card

Probably just coincidence, but since it was originally graded an 8 under the express service ($1,999 max declared value), I'm wondering what it would have come back at had I paid the $150 for a walk-through service ($9,999 declared item value). I guess I could always pay another $150 to find out...
  • Options

<< <i>Top left corner might keep it out of a 9, however, I've seen a few 9s with a corner like that.

Probably an 8 on the first try. I'd review for an 8.5 bump. If you get the 8.5 on the first sub, I'd consider trying once for the 9. >>

Most impressive Patrick. Can only hope the last part works out....
  • Options
    Boom! Congrats. Looks like you just 2.5x'ed the value. Beautiful card, fully deserving of the grade. I can only imagine what a thrill it would have been to pull something like that.
  • Options
    CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Nice pick up

Congrats
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    8 all day long. Can't see that in a 9 slab.

edit...Woops I see I'm late to the party
  • Options
    RyanAdmirerRyanAdmirer Posts: 632 ✭✭
    Well done! Congratulations!
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Always love to read of a bump success!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Lets see if we can go 2 for 2 now!
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Congrats on the bump. Hopefully it will climb one more step.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    Just popped, unfortunately no bump this time. Did get nice bumps on the '70 Mays and '77 Lynn however (both 1 full grade). If you can believe it, the Mays first graded as a 7. This was a second bump for it. Will have to think about whether I want to try yet again with the Gretzky...

1 1 24551588 MINT 9 1983 Topps 83 Ryne Sandberg Card
    2 1 24503979 MINT 9 1970 Topps 600 Willie Mays Card
    3 1 23807612 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1976 Topps 550 Hank Aaron Card
    4 1 24518894 GEM MINT 10 1977 Topps 210 Fred Lynn Card
    5 1 24555947 MINT 9 1973 Topps 135 Bob McAdoo Card
    6 1 24535155 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1979 Topps 18 Wayne Gretzky Card
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Nice bumps! Congrats
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, Josh! Amazing bump on the Mays! Two full grades, wow!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.. I pulled the Mays from a cello pack not that long ago and it is a beautiful card -- near perfect centering, sharp corners with only some minor surface issues (some black spotting that is hard to see on first glance). Guessing this is what kept it at a 7 initially, but the "eye appeal" would ultimately bring it to its rightful place in a 9 holder.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG Josh! Glad to see you get those bumps!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Great work on the bumps!!!

IMO I'd give the Gretzky one more shot, but I wouldn't send it now. I'd wait a few months.
  • Options
    Thanks Doug. And Patrick -- you've been spot on so far, so will follow advice and wait a few months to resub a final time image.