Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading and Surface Issues (Update--Grade Posted)

There's been mention on a couple of threads recently about the importance of surface to grading, and how difficult it can be to judge. I get the general concept, but I'm not sure how it plays out in practice given the variety of surface issues possible. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the other aspects of grading (though I'm still learning) but I thought it would help me and might help others to talk about it with a specific example.

I've been thinking of subbing this 1979 Molitor for my personal collection. Given what I've got into it and the grading and shipping, it really only makes sense if it will come out at least a 7. I think based on what you can easily see in a scan it would have a very good shot at that 7.

But on closer inspection there are two dimples or impressions in the surface, the size of which is shown on the scan below.

Now, how will those surface issues be taken into account by a grader? Could this card still achieve a 7 or will it automatically be downgraded to something lower?

Update with grade: 24528464 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1979 Topps 24 Paul Molitor

Comments

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 9's and 10's with dimples / impressions. It is the discretion of the grader/graders.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have 9's and 10's with dimples / impressions. It is the discretion of the grader/graders. >>

Yes. I really wish it was an exact science, but the reality is, there are grading guidelines, and each human grader interprets them the best he can. The results are not always consistent.

Although certain things like spider creases/wrinkles seem to be penalized pretty heavily by everyone. It's more issues that vary in severity that get interpreted differently.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For very slight surface imperfections like a dimple, I think you are talking more about the difference between a 9 and a 10, as opposed to a difference between a 7 and an 8, or even an 8 and a 9. The more significant the surface issue, the bigger the hit on the grade, generally speaking, whereby a surface wrinkle will usually result in an automatic PSA 5 even if the card is otherwise gem mint. For a savvy collector, there are plenty of lower grade cards out there with exceptional eye appeal.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    I agree that it doesn't appear like you're usually penalized much for these dimples or "pimples." I recently subbed a card with one of these little bumps. Because of that, I hoped for a 7 and thought a 6 wasn't outside the realm of possibility. Was surprised when it came back an 8. So that grader either didn't notice or didn't care.
  • Options
    I think you can definitely get a 7 if those are the only 2 surface issues on that card.

If there was just one issue that card might get a 9, the vertical centering and 1979 "dip" in the left corner keeps it out of a 10.

Phenomenal horizontal centering though for a card that is usually way off to the left.

The little fisheye to the right of the logo in the helmet doesn't help, but I'd definitely send this one in, especially if it's for your PC.
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd definitely send this one in, especially if it's for your PC. >>

Thanks. I'm going to send this in when my renewal voucher shows up (isn't it about time they integrate that into the online submission center so it just works when you sign up?). Will post the grade once I get it.
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    Came back an 8, and I'm happy with that. Thanks again, guys.

24528464 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1979 Topps 24 Paul Molitor