Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

truman obverse with peace dollar eagle in front of white house...euro pattern

surely this is darkside material but on that fringe by design
anyone know anything about these?...seller states only 50 coined with this being piece #50 of 50
would this be a token,concept or pattern?
i thought it would sit nice by a ron landis concept dollar

enjoy if ya do...i find it kool
everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Comments

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Without further info I would call this a private fantasy piece that does not qualify as darkside. Maybe shady?

Got to admit it looks better than what we currently got.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truman

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    um, this is definitely not legit. Maybe produced privately in a European dude's garage but not official.

I have quite a few Euro patterns and this is missing some key details like ... name of issuing country ... the Euro symbol or word

Some shady features
    - 50/50 on the design? really?
    - Liberia and other nations who use American designs do not use the USA name or motto; too confusing
    - European countries don't say "pattern" they say "probe" or "prøba"
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the lite side version of the thread. Someone posted a link to a Goldberg auction for what looks like this. A private pattern, struck in a few different metals. I kinda like the reverse.

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Truman >>

oops...corrected
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Dan Carr mints this sort of token all the time. I really don't think this is darkside stuff.
    Paul
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The word essai perhaps leads one to wonder if this was a non-US origin.

We have liteside (US), darkside (non-US), greyside (Canada) and farside (medals)....maybe we need a new 'side for private fantasy tokens (and then decide if we need a U.S. origin and a non-U.S. origin designator).

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I think there is a new side for that already, Stork. It's called the Krause "Unusual" catalog a.k.a. the X numbers or what I affectionately call "The X Files" hehehehe
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if it was made by the company which made this one in 1964:

Barry Goldwater ArtCraft President Candidate Medal 1964
    Obverse: BARRY M. GOLDWATER 1964
    Reverse: Arizona map with star, eagle on shield / "I seek an America proud of its past, its ways, its dreams"
    Monogram "AC"
    Bronze, 40mm, 21.78gm

They were produced by the ArtCraft company and both have a manufacturer monogram "AC".
    A 1964 US copyright entry for the Goldwater medal indicates that it was registered by
    "Ernest R. Neyhard d.b.a Artcraft" on May 26, 1964.

ArtCraft also made a medal with Lyndon Johnson in 1964.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    OK, I'm obviously missing the mystery here. There were a bunch of these on ebay in various medals; here's an example in copper: example.

Harry Truman died in late 1972 and there were a variety of numismatic and philatelic tributes to him, including a US postage stamp. I assume this is just a privately "proposed" design for a US dollar coin, perhaps a commem, made for the collector trade at the time given the date. Don't see any tie at all to the euro - esp given the 1973 date and clear USA on the reverse. The seller of the example I included is in the UK and deals in a variety of collector items, including other fantasy crowns, NCLT issues, commems, etc. Nothing especially "shady" here so long as it wasn't offered as official but just a trinket for collectors of this sort of thing.

I generally avoid this sort of thing, but have to admit that I did buy two very nice "essai" silver sets for Vatican and Latvian euro issues. Very pretty (and relatively cheap at the time as I recall), but privately made and nothing nefarious about them, just fun items.

Per Stork's comment about the name of this sort of thing, it seems "tchotchke" would be an excellent fit if a designation is needed. Fantasy is also an appropriate term that's used time to time.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    answer is over on the lightside link

www.brunkauctions.com

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>answer is over on the lightside link >>

Well partially, I guess. A lot of 7 different metal examples of these were sold in an auction by "London Coins" in July 2015 for GBP 50; if the seller on ebay bought that lot he's certainly made his money several times over. Here's the description from that auction: INA Fantasy Retro issues (7) 1973 Harry S.Truman in 11 different metals :- .900 silver, nickel, aluminium, copper, toned copper, golden alloy and pewter, milled edges, Prooflike UNC, only 50 sets made

This suggests that INA was the maker of these, but I thought they were a TPG. Nothing is provided as to why the things were made (beyond the obvious shaking down a few collectors of course). The "retro" comment suggests recent manufacture but again no further details and the style certainly screams 1970s to me altho that's not definitive in any way. The ebay auction indicates UK as the place of manufacture, altho I suspect that's just a fill in the blank on a standardized ebay form and no details are given in the description.

Probably the result of researching NBNs too long, but from time to time I do rather like chasing down these crazy rabbit holes to tie down specifics/facts since one never knows where they might lead.

What fun...

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!