Home Precious Metals
Options

Bill in Congress REQUIRES the Secretary of the Treasury to mint a Palladium bullion coin.

2»

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: derryb
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Mint considering issuing fractional palladium coins as well. From Coin World:

http://www.coinworld.com/news/...n-us-mint-radar.1.html

"Although the original legislation authorizing the palladium coin also sought bullion versions, the Mint had pretty much abandoned the thought of producing bullion versions after a contracted feasibility study concluded the bullion palladium option would be unprofitable. The same study also concluded collector versions offered financial promise."

I would prefer the bullion coins. Proofs are gonna be a bit pricey for a pure bullion play.

Whats the appeal of a bullion version? A metal that looks just like silver , costs 40 times as much , has wide buy sell spreads and the average man on the street has no interest in.

The mint should just make proofs for the 17 people that want them .

The only way a bullion version makes sense is if congress passed a law forcing people to buy the things.image

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint should just make proofs for the 17 people that want them .

Then they should only make 16 of them, and the 17 collectors can just buy and sell them amongst themselves image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They aren't on the schedule, are they really committed to making them?

Nobody's talking about the design. What's it supposed to be? I'm pretty dubious about this.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they will sell Proofs by implying that it will be a Proof-only issue, and then do bullion quality coins late in the year?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bet they'll be worth a gazillion dollars in a couple centuries.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin World says that the coins might be delayed until 2017:

http://www.coinworld.com/news/...tals&utm_content=#
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When will the mint resume striking bullion Platinum Eagles? The demand is clearly there - the 2014 bullion plats, the most recent ones minted, are fetching upwards of $1250 each on eBay.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)