Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Selling my signed 1982 Fleer Steve Garvey with PWCC - Ends TONIGHT!

Im selling my newly discovered signed 1982 Fleer Steve Garvey through PWCC ebay auctions. Good luck to those who bid!

Link

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    up
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    will be interesting to watch this

sometimes the "hype" in the listings get a bit silly - not sure this one "is a must have the avid HOF auto collector"

I guess they're thinking some day on that HOF part
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>will be interesting to watch this

sometimes the "hype" in the listings get a bit silly - not sure this one "is a must have the avid HOF auto collector"

I guess they're thinking some day on that HOF part >>

I would say it is a must have for rare card auto collectors, but the HOF part is not correct.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Is this something rare?
  • Options

<< <i>Is this something rare? >>

Garvey wont sign this card. This card was purchased from a long time grapher in a collection. The best guess is that he brought the card for a signature immediately after the issue was released and Garvey signed it before he decided to not sign it. Impossible to know if Garvey signed more or not...and of those he may have signed.

Garvey doesnt give a solid answer as to why he wont sign the card. I know people who have asked and he never gives a straight answer.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    You learn something new every day on this board. Really interesting that he won't sign it and no one knows why. I hope we get an answer to that some day.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    I also have been watching this as I was curious to know why it even reached $100 but seems I got my answer from the above read. I would say good luck but it seems you are doing pretty good. lol
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I found a thread on a different forum giving his reasoning for not signing this card. Apparently he signed one 1982F card for charity and put 1/1 on it quite a while ago. From there, it was agreed he would never sign another. Obviously, any he signed before that are available and probably incredibly rare. Who knows how credible this is, but it's a logcial answer

Along those lines, I thought here was a time when Tony Gwynn stopped signing his 1983 Topps card because he always hated it. But it wasn't Gwynn's style to turn away an autograph for anything, so maybe he let up. It's not a difficult one to find.

Good luck with the Garvey! Very cool item
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    Open those wallets! image
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Barry, since I knew about the rarity of this card I was hoping it would go for a strong price. I wasn't sure it would, as I wasn't sure how many bidders would be aware of its scarcity. I'm glad to see that the bidders have been savvy and that a fair market has developed. Good luck with the rest of the auction!
  • Options

<< <i>Barry, since I knew about the rarity of this card I was hoping it would go for a strong price. I wasn't sure it would, as I wasn't sure how many bidders would be aware of its scarcity. I'm glad to see that the bidders have been savvy and that a fair market has developed. Good luck with the rest of the auction! >>

Thanks Dan! Those were my same exact thoughts as well. Im hoping there are "big boys" holding back waiting to pounce! Oh, Keith Olberman, where are you? lol
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    very nice start barry. hope this card kicks ass for ya. image

eyebone

"I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    Thanks!

The more I get for it, the more I have plans for the money LOL But Im not expecting any specified amount. I'll be happy with what ever it ends at.
  • Options
    This ends tonight! If you are a player for this one, dont miss it! image
  • Options
    Hi Barry,

Just curious - I know that you are a pretty big collector of auto cards. Did you get this once already graded a while back or did you obtain in person or the mail. Just wanted to know how you came across this gem.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Barry,

Nice to see that there are 3 people who bid as much as $497.00. Would be good for you if all 3 decided at the last minute that they MUST have it. Looking forward to seeing the final bid.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Barry,

Just curious - I know that you are a pretty big collector of auto cards. Did you get this once already graded a while back or did you obtain in person or the mail. Just wanted to know how you came across this gem. >>

I actually found it on ebay. I saw it, knew it was real and was really shocked. It wasnt even up for 10 minutes when I bought it. I asked the guy sold it how he obtained it. He had purchased a large collection from an old time grapher in AZ.

The only thing I can think of is that he brought the card immediately after the 82 Fleer and got Garvey before he decided to not sign this card. I beleive everything about it is consistent with the story....the type of pen used, the quick IP graph, Garvey's early 80s style sig, and that it came from an IP grapher.
  • Options

<< <i>Barry,

Nice to see that there are 3 people who bid as much as $497.00. Would be good for you if all 3 decided at the last minute that they MUST have it. Looking forward to seeing the final bid. >>

Thanks Doug! Yes, I think it would be great if they all have some big snipes! But I am keeping the attitude that I will be happy with where ever it ends. I dont have much into it so I am not going to complain one bit. If it doesnt get another bid, I will still be pleased with the outcome image
  • Options
    Thanks for answering. I will certainly be looking at this tonight to see where it ends up. Early Congrats on an amazing score.
  • Options
    Thanks image
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Doesn't it say AUTHENTIC AUTO O ?? What kind of grade is that? Is that label wrong??

• Options

That is an older Garvey signature. I would consider that a major steal!

• Options

On second look...it's the same card but reholdered. I have no idea why they would have reholded it? The cert number stayed the same. Yeah, I would have bought that back in a heartbeat at that price!