Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Jersey Collection

Hi everyone - Happy 4th!!!

Just picked up this nice GU jersey.

Benito Santiago - San Diego Padres - 1986 to 1992

Here's the auction description that I saved:

Benito Santiago 1986-1987 San Diego Padres Game-Worn Road Jersey: a gray knit button-down garment with a brown pinstripe pattern and “RAK” sewn to the left sleeve in brown twill. In brown-on-orange twill, “SD” is sewn to the left breast, while “9” is sewn to the back and “SANTIAGO” is arched just above in like fashion. The tapered left front tail is home to a “Wilson” label, a size “42” flap tag and a swatch with chain-stitched identifiers of “10 86.” The jersey shows moderate wear with perspiration-induced soiling about the cotton-lined collar. Of note is evidence of a number change on the back. The outline from “10” (which is also sewn on the left front tail) clearly remains. Santiago wore “10” during his brief call-up in 1986, but wore “9” during his 1987 Rookie of the Year campaign. Additionally, the “RAK” (in honor of former club owner Ray Kroc) on the left sleeve was worn from 1984-1986, but not after that period. Thus, this jersey was likely worn by Santiago in 1986 and re-issued during the club’s spring training session as he prepared for his stellar Rookie of the Year season.

Santiago was NL ROY in 1987 - this jersey was worn during that campaign.

Also - the jersey has "RAK" on the sleeve in honor of the former club owner Ray Kroc (I'm assuming of McDonald's fame?).

Santiago had a very nice 20 year career and appeared in 5 AS games (1989, 90, 91, 92 & 2002).

His last AS Game - 2002 - he was a reserve and did PH - went 1 for 2 - of interest, the game ended in a tie 7 to 7.

It's kind of cool to have a jersey he used in his ROY.

Thanx as always for viewing and again - everyone have a safe and Happy 4th of July! image
Mike

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pickup! This seems a lot newer than most you post. Any special reason for the Santiago/Padres love? image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome pickup! This seems a lot newer than most you post. Any special reason for the Santiago/Padres love? image >>

Thanx Kyle.

Ya know? There were 2 jerseys in the lot and I don't have a SD jersey represented.

Now I have 2. image
    Mike
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing as Kyle. Never thought Id see a Benito Santiago thread but Im glad this made you happy! image
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    That's a sweet jersey. Do you display them or just store them? I'm thinking of making a Rangers themed room myself and have a few gamers I could hang, but would be cool to see some others displays to get some ideas.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, Mike. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options

<< <i>That's a sweet jersey. Do you display them or just store them? I'm thinking of making a Rangers themed room myself and have a few gamers I could hang, but would be cool to see some others displays to get some ideas. >>

Thanx Mike!

I bought a store display to hang them: this is not the final resting place for it - I'm doing a lot of moving of stuff this summer.

PS: need to get some decent looking hangers.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice, Mike. Thanks for sharing. >>

Thanx John.
    Mike
  • Options
    What's that jersey third up from the bottom? That patch on the sleeve looks interesting
  • Options

<< <i>What's that jersey third up from the bottom? That patch on the sleeve looks interesting >>

I don't remember much about the jersey Mike.

I bought it many years ago - not - that I recall - a GU pro jersey. I just liked the way it looked - it has Trenton in front - number on back - with the centennial patch:

Mike
  • Options
    I'm on a roll; here's one I like - I just feel the Yankee pinstripe is plain regal.

Jeff Torborg GU "Coach" Jersey

Jeff played in the majors as a catcher from 1964 to 1970 for the Dodgers and then for the Angels from 1971 to 1973.

He was well traveled as a manager and coach.

He was Manager of the Year in 1990 while with the White Sox. He spent 11 years total as a manager for Cleveland (1977-79), Chicago WS (1989-91), Mets (1992-93), Expos (2001) and the Marlins (2001-3).

From 1979 to 1988, he was a coach for the NY Yankees.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What's that jersey third up from the bottom? That patch on the sleeve looks interesting >>

I don't remember much about the jersey Mike.

I bought it many years ago - not - that I recall - a GU pro jersey. I just liked the way it looked - it has Trenton in front - number on back - with the centennial patch:

image >>

Thats pretty slick. If I were you, I'd wear that one out to sporting events on occasion. I always try to get my Rangers game used jerseys from one of the big or fat guys so I can wear them. Will try and snag a Fielder this season as thats one that will fit me image
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    nice jersey's Stone...

Torborg caught one of Nolan Ryan's no-hitters

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Hi everyone

I have around 20 jerseys of different kinds and think I'll update this from time to time.

I just picked up this one.

Catasauqua High School Jersey - c1930s - Gray Flannel

Got this from Bob McCann - will have to trust his year assessment - I think it could be later than the 30s.

It came with pants and hat with an "O" - don't understand since they're called the "Rough Riders" - a call to the school might help to see if they used to be called the Orioles or something - the Obamas?

Label: Allentown Sporting Goods Co.

Thanx for viewing.
    Mike
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stone193

Hi everyone

I have around 20 jerseys of different kinds and think I'll update this from time to time.

I just picked up this one.

Catasauqua High School Jersey - c1930s - Gray Flannel

Got this from Bob McCann - will have to trust his year assessment - I think it could be later than the 30s.

It came with pants and hat with an "O" - don't understand since they're called the "Rough Riders" - a call to the school might help to see if they used to be called the Orioles or something - the Obamas?

Label: Allentown Sporting Goods Co.

Thanx for viewing.

Neat piece

Catasauqua HS is near me, in fact I umpire a handful of games involving their HS team every spring (nice group of kids)...

They are indeed known as the Rough Riders and the possibility also exists that that hat really doesn't "go" with the jersey...

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are really cool mike. I love to see pics of others collections. You should give us all a "virtual" tour of your jersey room. It looks good from what we can see from the pic. I need to get better organized so I can pull off a room like that.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Mike, forgot to ask, Will you be making an appearance in cooperstown this weekend?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Thanx Bill.

I was thinking the same thing about the hat. Would like to know if they used to have a different nickname?

Hiya David - you must have missed me addressing you with respect to asking about the HOF.

Not going anywhere this year - will be going to Chicago next year tho.

Hope you have a good time with your dad buddy.
    Mike
  • Options
    I've had this one for some time.

Rafael Belliard - 1994 GU jersey

He played from 1982 to 1998; first with the Pirates and then from 1991 to 1998 with the Braves. Played SS and 2B.

His nickname was Pac-Man for his ability to scoff up all grounders.

He made his final ML appearance April 9, 1998 against the Pirates - Braves prevail 4-3.

Mike
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Awesome and thanks for sharing...please continue to share..there are a lot of us that appreciate it and really enjoy the eye candy
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image