Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Why do I feel it's time to buy vintage basketball cards?

I've only collected baseball cards my entire life (48 yo), and went big on early 70 PSA 9's over the past 5 years. I've never purchased a pack of basketball cards in my life. But the Bird/Magic rookie card is pulling me in. Maybe even a Steph Curry rookie. I think it's time to start to diversify the collection.

High end Vintage baseball cards feel bubbly to me right now, IMHO. And I'm sick of getting clobbered on all my bids; so maybe I'll have more success with vintage basketball.
Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
Prefer to buy in bulk.

Comments

• PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with any PSA 9 HOF rookies from the 1986 Fleer set, could explode in the next few years.
  • pauldrolkeespauldrolkees Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've only collected baseball cards my entire life (48 yo), and went big on early 70 PSA 9's over the past 5 years. I've never purchased a pack of basketball cards in my life. But the Bird/Magic rookie card is pulling me in. Maybe even a Steph Curry rookie. I think it's time to start to diversify the collection.

High end Vintage baseball cards feel bubbly to me right now, IMHO. And I'm sick of getting clobbered on all my bids; so maybe I'll have more success with vintage basketball. >>

vintage basketball in PSA 10 has gone up considerably too, all the 1986 HOF rookies in PSA 10 has more than doubled in the past couple of years. And you start seeing even the Pippen, Rodman from 1988 fleer in 10 are selling well over $1000.
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

<< I've only collected baseball cards my entire life (48 yo), and went big on early 70 PSA 9's over the past 5 years. I've never purchased a pack of basketball cards in my life. But the Bird/Magic rookie card is pulling me in. Maybe even a Steph Curry rookie. I think it's time to start to diversify the collection.

High end Vintage baseball cards feel bubbly to me right now, IMHO. And I'm sick of getting clobbered on all my bids; so maybe I'll have more success with vintage basketball. >>

vintage basketball in PSA 10 has gone up considerably too, all the 1986 HOF rookies in PSA 10 has more than doubled in the past couple of years. And you start seeing even the Pippen, Rodman from 1988 fleer in 10 are selling well over $1000.

Exactly, you're to late, i collect basketball and its soaring right now. Curry RC's are relatively reasonable and haven't moved with the championship which is a little surprising to me.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< I've only collected baseball cards my entire life (48 yo), and went big on early 70 PSA 9's over the past 5 years. I've never purchased a pack of basketball cards in my life. But the Bird/Magic rookie card is pulling me in. Maybe even a Steph Curry rookie. I think it's time to start to diversify the collection.

Exactly, you're to late, i collect basketball and its soaring right now. Curry RC's are relatively reasonable and haven't moved with the championship which is a little surprising to me. >>

If you are a basketball fan I think it is a great thing to add a little basketball to your collection. Even with how much the entire hobby has seen prices increase over the last several years I still think there are some under appreciated cards out there (in all sports). As Matt mentioned the 1986 Fleer set has increased dramatically over the last three months, star RC's and even commons have nearly doubled in many cases in PSA 9 and 10. For value, I would look to the Bird Magic RC which has not gone up as quickly, as well as the HOF RC's from 1957 (Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, Bob Petit) and 1961 Fleer (Wilt, Baylor, Robertson and West). These cards don't seem to have increased as dramatically as the star RC's from baseball and football. I am a Warriors fan and I am kicking myself for not adding more Steph Curry cards to my collection before this past season. His cards haven't gone up a lot since the championship but they more than doubled since the beginning of this past season. Basketball is gaining in popularity and is huge overseas so while I don't necessarily view my cards as an investment, I do think basketball cards have a good future ahead of them in that regard. Of course the obvious caveat to cards as an investment is the overall economy. A rising tide lifts all boats and the current bull market is getting old, so if/when a correction occurs you might see some of these frothy prices come down again, until the next bull market. Let us know what you get.
    Steve
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree there so cheep in Psa 9, 10 from the 70's you can't go wrong.
  • BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭
    I have been able to buy some complete vintage basketball sets in NM condition at reasonable prices over the last few months. 73-74, 74-75 and the bigs 76-77 Maravich,West,Irving,Chamberlain,Kareem.Having alot of fun looking at those old cards.Upgrading the off centered dogs is pretty easy. PSA 8's and 9's of the stars are still affordable.
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I picked this up not too long ago.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • pauldrolkeespauldrolkees Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I picked this up not too long ago.

image >>

wow great looking Bill Walton RC!