Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I had a guy in my shop today that said he had 3 Ryan Rookie PSA 9's and 52 Mantle PSA 8

What's the chance he's telling the truth?

Comments

• JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    As to see them.

I would like to see one in person.
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Ask him to bring them in and see if he gives you some long-winded excuse as to why he can't.

Then no. He's not telling the truth.
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I would not be comfortable walking around with those cards. Just ask for a photo with them in his hand. That should be enough.
  • BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

<< <i>What's the chance he's telling the truth? >>

Normally people with big money or influence don't need to talk about it.
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Usually, if they are not telling the truth, they will also say that the cards are not for sale, no matter how much they are offered.
    And their story explaining how they were obtained is murky at best, and usually involves having had them since childhood or having bought them from someone with a similar story.

If they bought them from an established auction house or similar source, it is usually more believable.

Also, if a person appears to have slept in their clothes, but is not even interested in hearing an offer for six figures worth of cardboard, I find their claim more dubious. In that case, I will usually ask them to tell me about the biggest fish they have ever caught.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

• << <i>

Normally people with big money or influence don't need to talk about it. >>

My thoughts exactly. That would also mean he owns 5% of the total PSA 9 population
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious why does one think this guy would lie about owning the cards? What is in it for him? 15 minutes of admiration from a shop owner?

Seems odd to say to yourself I am going to go into a shop and lie to the owner about what cards I have. It's not like the owner would pay EBAY or auction house prices anyway so it seems like a complete waste of time.

• flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Just curious why does one think this guy would lie about owning the cards? What is in it for him? 15 minutes of admiration from a shop owner?

Seems odd to say to yourself I am going to go into a shop and lie to the owner about what cards I have. It's not like the owner would pay EBAY or auction house prices anyway so it seems like a complete waste of time.

People lie everyday about the most mundane of things for absolutely no reason other than being able to lie. Maybe this guy isn't but maybe he is just one of those that enjoy it for whatever reason
  • churchiscoolchurchiscool Posts: 532 ✭✭
    ...and who cares if he has them or not?
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Normally people with big money or influence don't need to talk about it. >>

But that doesn't mean they won't. image
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully he didn't spend his kids' college fund to buy them from some guy on craigslist. I would ask him how he obtained them to either A. let him know if they are real or B. get him arrested if he's the one knowingly trying to sell fakes.
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Unless he offered to sell them to you for 50-60% of what they retail for I wouldn't give it another thought.
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422

<< <i>Just curious why does one think this guy would lie about owning the cards? What is in it for him? 15 minutes of admiration from a shop owner?

People lie everyday about the most mundane of things for absolutely no reason other than being able to lie. Maybe this guy isn't but maybe he is just one of those that enjoy it for whatever reason >>

Well said, counselor image

I think 3 Ryan rookies are to much for won person anyway image
  • Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Ask if the 1952 Mantle is the refractor version or the regular? I had a dealer tell me once that Babe Ruth must have spent about three months in just his town alone signing baseballs because every person that came in had a Babe Ruth autographed baseball in a safe somewhere. He had yet to see one in person though.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better

• << <i>Ask if the 1952 Mantle is the refractor version or the regular? >>

That is way funnier than it should be.

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Either the guy's a compulsive liar, or maybe he's saying this hoping you'll think, "wow, a big-time collector just strolled into my shop". If he gets some shopkeeper thinking that way, that might increase the chances he could dupe the shopkeeper at a later time with some other cards he would offer for sale, like some fake or altered vintage raw pieces. Or even a graded card he cracked, switched, and then put back together.
  • pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭

Slim and none. And Slim just left the room. image
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Odds are he's one of those "I got" guys. See them at all the card shows. They never buy anything they just go from table to table striking up one sided conversations with the dealers, starting every sentence with "I got..."
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ask if the 1952 Mantle is the refractor version or the regular? >>

That is way funnier than it should be. >>

+1, though I would add Atomic Refractor as an option image
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    wow, that was your shop smitty! had no clue.

(completely kidding)
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it was the guy from the stupid criminal thread. Did he have a girlfriend with him image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Normally people with big money or influence don't need to talk about it. >>

But that doesn't mean they won't. image
    image >>

Awesome response. Love that Trump......
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards