Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Top 5 basketball pack up for sale

I saw this up for sale at Heritage today. I think it's a top 5 basketball pack and they put the estimate at $10k.... Hope they get it but doubt they will:

Double Jordan

Really cool and rare pack non the less.
Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies

Comments

• Options
    Don't see this pack will come close to $10k.
    I know it's rare but Jordan 86 fleer in psa 8 goes for about $1,500 and the Jordan 8 in sticker is only $200.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't see this pack will come close to $10k.
    I know it's rare but Jordan 86 fleer in psa 8 goes for about $1,500 and the Jordan 8 in sticker is only $200. >>

It's already at $3100 (including BP) with nearly a month left, and pack grade has nothing to do with the potential grade of the cards inside. It will easily go for over $8K, and surpassing the $10K estimate would not surprise me one bit.

ETA: I seriously doubt whoever is buying this has any intention to rip it.
  • Options

I know it's rare but Jordan 86 fleer in psa 8 goes for about $1,500 and the Jordan 8 in sticker is only $200. >>

Well that logic makes sense. So just a completely random example, a 1975 Topps mini pack with a Brett rookie on front graded a PSA 8 is worth the same price as just a PSA 8 Brett rookie?
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    awesome pack for the Jordan or unopened collector

But I do not see it approaching $10K--$7,500 or so
  • Options

<< <i>

Well that logic makes sense. So just a completely random example, a 1975 Topps mini pack with a Brett rookie on front graded a PSA 8 is worth the same price as just a PSA 8 Brett rookie? >>

No I didn't say the pack is worth $1,700. I just don't see it reaching close to $10k.
  • Options

<< <i>

It's already at $3100 (including BP) with nearly a month left, and pack grade has nothing to do with the potential grade of the cards inside. It will easily go for over $8K, and surpassing the $10K estimate would not surprise me one bit.

ETA: I seriously doubt whoever is buying this has any intention to rip it. >>

I see it going between 5-7k.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I see it going between 5-7k. >>

Just for reference, there is a recent sale on eBay with just the Jordan sticker back in PSA 8 that sold for $1100. Combine that with only 2 verified packs with the Jordan on top and bottom, it should reach $10k.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just for reference, there is a recent sale on eBay with just the Jordan sticker back in PSA 8 that sold for $1100. Combine that with only 2 verified packs with the Jordan on top and bottom, it should reach $10k. >>

Don't get me wrong I am personally hoping it does cross $10k for obvious reasons even though I don't own a Jordan top, but I just don't think it has the juice to get there. Maybe in the $8k's.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    $7284
  • Options
    Well my prediction of it getting into the $8k range has come true.... But with two more weeks of bidding left I think it still has some more to go. It will be A great one to watch.
  • Options
    Last day on this auction.... And wow was I wrong the bidding is over $13k already.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who knows little about the issue, why is unopened material from 1986 rare? Or is it just the demand that is sky high?
  • Options
    Yeah the Jordan sticker backs aren't really that rare but the fronts are and that's where the value in this is. There is also a huge demand for unopened packs while the supply is fairly plentiful but so many have been ripped the last few years it is dwindling rapidly.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen or heard of this pack. Pretty crazy.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    The winner of this auction isn't buying the pack for individual card grading potential. This pack is an oddity and a luxury item. 15k should do it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Well that logic makes sense. So just a completely random example, a 1975 Topps mini pack with a Brett rookie on front graded a PSA 8 is worth the same price as just a PSA 8 Brett rookie? >>

No I didn't say the pack is worth $1,700. I just don't see it reaching close to $10k. >>

Oops
  • Options
    Yikes the pack closed just over $19k. I must say way over my ending prediction but think this is very exciting. If this pack goes that high I think that either the Bird/Magic rookie cards showing packs are great values and will or should go up greatly in price. I can also only imagine what a Wilt Chamberlian showing pack would be worth now if it were to come up for sale. Might the Chamberlain be worth more or less than a double Jordan??
  • Options
    That's amazing.

It's a pop 2, whoever has the other one must be doing image
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yikes the pack closed just over $19k. I must say way over my ending prediction but think this is very exciting. If this pack goes that high I think that either the Bird/Magic rookie cards showing packs are great values and will or should go up greatly in price. I can also only imagine what a Wilt Chamberlian showing pack would be worth now if it were to come up for sale. Might the Chamberlain be worth more or less than a double Jordan?? >>

IMO, the Chamberlain showing pack is cooler than the double Jordan. I don't know which is valued higher but I would rather have the 61 pack.
    Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

IMO, the Chamberlain showing pack is cooler than the double Jordan. I don't know which is valued higher but I would rather have the 61 pack. >>

I agree I would rather have the Chamberlain, but that double Jordan is cool and worth just under $20k so it's a tough choice.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just for reference, there is a recent sale on eBay with just the Jordan sticker back in PSA 8 that sold for $1100. Combine that with only 2 verified packs with the Jordan on top and bottom, it should reach $10k. >>

So you thought it would reach 10k. You never predicted it would reach 19k. Oops on your end.
  • Options
    Another of the top 5 rookie showing basketball packs just sold at the collect auctions sale:

Bird/Erving/Magic

At $1,250 I believe this is the highest price I have seen this pack go for, but in saying that I still feel the pack is undervalued. I would rather have 15 of the Bird/Magic rookie packs (not that many exist) than the 1 1986 double Jordan that sold for $19k.
  • Options
    I agree with you on the Bird/Magic pack--and not because I have one. I think the Bird/Magic rookie card in PSA-9 is also undervalued.

Believe it or not I got this pack in a group rip about 3-4 years ago. $30

• Options
    Great price on a 1980 pack and an absolutely astonishing price for a Bird/magic pull. Nice one!
  • Options
    just got outbid on the '57 pack and I am out of it
  • Options
    Originally posted by: flatfoot816

Yeah at $15k plus the juice I thought that was a very strong price. And of course the 48 basketball pack finished up at $36k which for a single pack I find incredible.
    I was outbid on the Chamberlain showing pack and in the SCP auction I thought I had out a very strong bid on the Bird/Magic rookie pack back but was outbid there too.
    I know one posted keeps talking about how soft the unopened prices are but for Basketball it seems just the opposite with many top prices being reached this week.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rtimmer

Originally posted by: flatfoot816

Yeah at $15k plus the juice I thought that was a very strong price.

The pack sold for $15k ($15052 to be exact) including the juice; it hammered for $12543.