Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Merc collectors - which would you rather have?

There is a 1919-S MS67 being auctioned by Heritage right now. It is a pop 2/0. The top 19-S FB coin is an MS-65 pop 19/0. Given they count the same, which would you rather have? How much difference in price should there be?

I wish I had the $$ to bid on the No Bands coin. Thoughts?
Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Comments

• Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't the 1919-S have a FB bonus of 3 making MS65FBs "count" for more than MS67s? As far as which I would rather own, most other factors being equal, I would want a FB coin over a 2 grades better non-FB almost every time.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    JoshuaJoshua Posts: 56
    I thought about taking a shot at the !919-S MS67 but I've always thought that strike is very important in the look of a coin and the full bands are a must. Doubt whether it will bring a price near what a full band piece brings. It is an interesting coin though considering they haven't made a 1919-S in 66FB.

Joshua
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I would take the 67 no bands. If I had it to do all over agian, I think I would try and get a higher grade no band in all cases. The bands are way to pricey on some dates. When you can get a 65 for half the price of a 63FB, whats up with that. And if you look around you can find no band coins with as good a strike or better than a FB coin.

Just my thoughts.

Jon
  • Options
    Good question, Rick.

I would like to be able afford to have such a delema! image

If I could, I'd grab the 67 if it could be obtained for half the price of the 65FB.
    With the pop that low and Miss Liberty being MS67.... image
    Coins like this make it easy for me to decide...whatever MS coin I find that I can afford! image

Regards,

Don

MS67 Winged Liberty and
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick,

I just went and looked at the 19s in 67. Very nice coin. The hair detail looks great, which is more important to me than bands.

I wish this coin was in my set.

Jon
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    If price was of no concern, I would go with the one with the better eye appeal. (You'll catch more fish image )

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go along with Jon on this. Hair Detail and the Verticle Bands are the Most Important things I like to see on the Dimes. If the Middle band is Fully Struck that Does Not Always Indicate a Fully Struck Coin as We All know. FB Coins are Way Over Rated in some Instances with some of them Commanding Prices that are not justified. Fully Struck FB Coins are Quite Rare and do Command High Prices as was shown in the Kritzman Dime Sale a few Months ago. The 20S and 25D from that Sale were two Examples of Mercury Dimes that deserved to Sell for every Penny they Realized.
      My Limited Budget Allows Only Examples as Shown Below. Decent Strike but not quite Full.
        Ken
      1. Options
        PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
        I think that some day there will be a 66fb, someone will get one upgraded or one will show up from nowhere. but until that day I would have to say that the 67 is a good buy. one would not have any trouble selling it

Pat Vetter
        Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

2. Options
        khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
        I would probably take the 67, especially if it was much cheaper
        than the 65FB.

I agree with Ken that too much emphasis can be placed on FB's.

-KHayse
        ps I don't have a Merc set registered. Can I still join the
        conversation? image
      3. Options
        izzy452izzy452 Posts: 929
        I guess that would depend on what your collecting. No Bands or FB. If your into collection points go for the one that has more points. I collect what I like,and I dont care if I ever got close to the top. Remember
        people at the top are always looking back to see who's right behind them. The rest of us,well things are always looking up. image

Walt
      4. Options
        CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
        As long as the non-FB coin has a decent strike and great eye-appeal, I'd take the MS67 over an average looking 65FB. I want to be able to look at a coin and appreciate its beauty without using a magnifier to see if the center crossband misses being fully split by one one-hundredth of an inch.

Jim
        Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
      5. Options
        DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
        Clearly the strike is very important and as Ken say, the center bands are not the only part of the coin to consider. I wish I had the $$ to compete for this coin (67 that is). I wonder how much it will go for, any guesses?
        Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
      6. Options
        would like to jump on the no bands 67 real fast...