Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Latest Project: Bowman Mantle Fist - COMPLETED

I grew up as a Topps fan. And thus, my return to collecting was almost exclusively Topps focused. That is until I got most of the way thru the First Ballot PW HOF Registry. Then I got the bug for completion. Scooped up my 48/49s and was left with the 51s of Mantle and Mays. I secured those around the same time I was finishing my Mays Topps Basic, and while I do have some other projects near completion, I was still looking for the next on-deck project.

Knowing pretty full well that the 52 Mantle is not in the cards, I turned my attention to the idea of completing the Bowman Mantle 5 card run, since I already had the RC. But I was still unsure, until I recently picked up a collection of a few raw 60s Micks and then I knew, the Bowman run was a must. And his Bowman cards are all quite nice, and the project could be completed for a pretty reasonable cost. I considered calling it my high 5 project, but in reality, at completion, I won't have anyone around to high 5 with, and am far more likely to clench a fist and do a Kirk Gibson home run trot, arm motion and all.

Here's the RC that started the project.

Then the search began, and the 4x bucks from a few weeks back, finally put these 2 additions within a range I liked.

This will put the 53 and 55 near the top of my list for National unless I find something before.

Gotta say, as someone who always liked Mickey, but didn't own much...and having been burned before on my very first Mick card (raw 56 purchase) years ago...I had been hesitant to buy Micks. Especially when, at the time, I didn't see myself ever owning his RC, and my focus was RCs.

But once that first Mick hits home, so does the "bug" to get more. Consider me bitten...and smitten. Though I expect once the Bowman run is done, I'll take far more time on the Topps run...minus 52, and focus on more realistic goals.

I'll update this thread as the last 2 find their ways to my home in the not too distant future.

Thanks for reading.
Jim
52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

Comments

• Options
    Sweet Micks! I've said it before, I much prefer his 51 Bowman over his 52 Topps. Not even close in my book.
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Nice centering and eye appeal all around. My favorite is the '52 but that is splitting hairs as all of the Mantle Bowman run are classic.

Best of luck with the '53 and '55.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    that 51 has wonderful centering! not to discount the others AT all... but simply top notch on that 51. be proud!

edit: h#ll, after going back and looking at the others, be very proud of them all. you have a great eye!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible run so far, best of luck at the Natty picking up the other two image

Dissenting opinion: 54 is the best for me. Great smile and looks pretty happy to be playing some baseball.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I'm a big fan of the painted cards, so the first 2 Bowmans and the first 3 Topps are my faves, but 53 and 54 Bowmans are right behind. I'm not a huge fan of the 55, but do appreciate that it memorializes a pretty significant advancement in TV...which I'm a big fan of.
  • Options
    Fantastic, what a great project. Looking forward to seeing what '53 you select as it has always been one of my favorite cards of The Mick. Good luck!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AWESOME JIM! THE MICK was my idol growing up. I can look at those cards all day long. Best of luck with the rest of them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    BliggityBliggity Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dissenting opinion: 54 is the best for me. Great smile and looks pretty happy to be playing some baseball. >>

I concur with your dissent. My favorite Mantle card and the first one I ever owned.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I love those, Jim!! Best of luck finishing out the run.
  • Options
    Nice centering on the 51 mantle.
  • Options
    With just a few hours left in June and a 4x Bucks expiring at midnight, I decided to do a quick search on a few items. Found this one which had been recently listed and was priced pretty well so I took it down. Just need the 53 now and it's looking more like I may complete this at Natty.

• Options
    Great job with that Mick! And I have to say, I never get sick of looking at your 51 Bowman. You must be thrilled to own that!
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shame on me for somehow missing this thread. Completely insane cardboard, Jim.

Can't take my eyes off of these beauties, but I'm especially fond of your 51. This is my ocd kicking into high gear, but man I love the placement of that wrinkle/crease. Running parallel to his arm makes it look so natural, imo -- and it certainly trumps vertical tracks on his back. Toss in above-average centering & registration, and dare I say you caught one on the screws, my friend.
  • Options
    Real nice stuff Jim. Enjoy them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I scored the last piece of the puzzle at National with the addition of the 53...courtesy of CardCountry...thanks Jeff!!!

Since I was putting it away with the others, it seemed like a good time for a group photo to close our the thread...

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! That's an incredible run to complete in a few months image
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    I don't particularly like the phrase "the card presents well for the grade" but these cards certainly do. Everyone of them meets the eye nicely and are centered very well. They look awesome when presented all together. Congrats on finishing the run and enjoy!

Dave

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on completing the Bowman 5 Mick run. Those are some great looking cards for the grades.
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    Great looking group of cards. Congrats of finishing it off.
  • Options
    Congrats Jim ... great run. I recently picked up the '53 Bowman as well. I have the '54 and '55, but need the 2 expensive ones!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    One of the coolest projects I've seen on these boards in a while. Glad to see you make quick work of it! Congrats!
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Big congratulations Jim! The cards look great. Good luck with the Topps run. I always look forward to your threads as they often inspire me to expand my own collection.
    Steve
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, Jim!! That is a nice-looking bunch of Mantles.
  • Options
    Carefully curated, no doubt. Great work, Jim!
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    Great centering and eye appeal on all cards! Love those Mantle runs! IMO, the Bowman Mantles don't take a back seat to Topps.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.