Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any Bets On What this Franklin Will Bring THIS TIME?

Big disparity in the past two recent auctions and it's up for sale AGAIN! What do you all think accounts for the swing?

Auction I: 3/2/2014 Coin Sold For $3290
Auction II: 9/6/2014 Coin Sold for $705
Current Auction

Edited to add coinfacts image:
I'd like my copper well done please!

Comments

• mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    My suspicion is that it's actually dark and less attractive in hand...the pictures changed from auction to auction (darker now).

That's the problem with buying toners, need really clear/sharp/large pictures so you can see luster, brightness, etc.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Auction I: 3/2/2014 Coin Sold For $3290 Auction II: 9/6/2014 Coin Sold for $705 >>

Ouch that's gotta hurt as talk about getting a painful education in the hobby image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Less than $1K for sure, probably close to the 2nd sale.
    I am guessing that the first couple of owners decided the toning wasn't great,
    the finger print wasn't great, the massive hits on the bell weren't great and
    it may have even failed the CAC standard which wasn't great. Just my guesses.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm.

Mercurydimeguy, I just restudied the images and remember now that this was a board member's coin at one time, and I remember the mint set he pulled the coin from. I remember the color as being vivid and just found it in coinfacts. He originally had it graded 66FBL. Someone upgraded it and may have made a bit on it originally. Which I think thickens the plot. Did someone count on an upgrade to 67? The fingerprints and bell chatter are what's holding it back IMO.

Here are several sister coins from the same mint set.

• DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Wow -- that photo in the OP makes the coin look butt ugly.

The Trueview of the same coin makes it look beautiful.

What a difference a photo can make.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
    That quarter is awesome!
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with DaveW above. I don't like the look of the coin in the original photo but the TrueView is beautiful. It also looks overgraded to me (the hits on the neck).
    The real question - how can I get my paws on that 1948 quarter?!!

<< <i>Agree with DaveW above. I don't like the look of the coin in the original photo but the TrueView is beautiful. It also looks overgraded to me (the hits on the neck).
    The real question - how can I get my paws on that 1948 quarter?!! >>

That quarter sold for 5k if my memory serves me in an ebay auction first time around. It's been regraded at least once as someone has their eye on it for a 68
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugly toning. The market for high grade modern coins with poor eye appeal is thin. Unless it can be viewed in hand, and actually looks better than the photo, its appeal will be limited. If it is actually attractive and not ugly there had better be at least two wealthy bidders who have actually viewed the coin.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    I say $650.
  • machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Toners are a finicky market. Two people wanted the coin badly first time around. Second time, one or none wanted it really badly. This coin is $1,000 today in PCGS price guide. Of course, that's a retail price. Probably $650-750 without toning without checking what others have sold for. However, the toning certainly adds a few hundred to the value, several hundred to the right person, so maybe it will sell for full price guide of $1,000. But will the right people see this coin and bid on it? If I had to guess a single amount, I'd say it will fairly bring full guide of $1,000. But really the range is from $750 to $2000. Surprised to see it sold for $3,290 in March of 2014. But like I said, the right two people wanted it.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow -- that photo in the OP makes the coin look butt ugly. >>

that is because that image is a heritage scan. you'd honestly be better off using a digital microscope and i don't recommend those often.

the coinfacts image is most likely diffused-overexposed, a common practice for toners (i do it too sometimes) but generally are too bright. the truth usually lies

somewhere in the middle although i bet that quarter is darn close to the CF image. wow!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    i would like to own that 1948 quarter , it looks really nice !
  • CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my experience with toned commems, there are a LOT more bright red-orange coins in photos than can be found in the real world.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That quarter is amazing! The half dollar in the OP is nasty!

<< <i>i would like to own that 1948 quarter , it looks really nice ! >>

Larry your humor is improving with age, like a fine wine.

Who in their right mind would want that quarter!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After this thread, my bet is on less than last time

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what a mint set.
    Forcing
    Page 2
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems Heritage needs to kick up their photography skills. Some collectors can imaging very accurately how the coin would look in hand, others can't.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems Heritage needs to kick up their photography skills. Some collectors can imaging very accurately how the coin would look in hand, others can't. >>

they've gone through major quality variances over the years (i can tell when some coins were auctioned based on the images lol). the current not being the best but if i may be so presumptuous from reading/conversing and observing, they have tweaked the current system to do the most amount of coins for the least cost/time.

i usually love this kind of efficiency but the cost is coming at the expense of quality coins not being represented properly but they are the minority and a basic actuarial analysis should prove this to be the financially beneficial method but leaves out quality and perhaps morality?

the morality thing is a jab at numbers leaving out pertinent factors to be financially beneficial and is more applicable in politics, pharma, insur etc, not so much coin auctions.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Wooohoooo, I was right. It sold for less than $1K like I said.... $822.50
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes! Think I'll stick with my PCGS MS-66 FBL which I paid < $1K for too:

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Based on the CoinFacts picture, $1400
    Based on the slab picture $650
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a spectacular Franklin, Elmer! I especially love the reverse. Fantastic color and those bell lines are clear as can be.
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes that Elmer is a real prize!!
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The half in the original post is still as ugly at this price as it was at the last.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file