Home U.S. Coin Forum

Reconsideration question...... Why did my coins serial numbers drop out of the PCGS database?

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
A question for those who have used the PCGS reconsideration service: When you sent your coins in for this service did the coins serial numbers change if they upgraded? I sent two coins in and was checking their serial numbers in the PCGS database and they say not a valid number now? Any insights would be appreciated!

Comments

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cert. numbers change in 3 circumstances:
    1) upgrade
    2) downgrade
    3) variety attribution of previously graded, unattributed.

If you have a Collectors Club membership, your account summary online should show the new cert #'s if the Reconsideration service is done and grades changed.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, conservation and regrading (even if it stays the same grade).
    Lance.

edited to add: nowadays, if PCGS cracks the slabs the original cert# is lost. That's been my experience but I am not sure if the practice is applied uniformly.
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cert. numbers change in 3 circumstances:
    1) upgrade
    2) downgrade

If you have a Collectors Club membership, your account summary online should show the new cert #'s if the Reconsideration service is done and grades changed. >>

I have sent in one coin for restoration and it upgraded to a + and PL designation...the cert# stayed the same. To OP, maybe they are in the middle of changing the database for your cert#'s and are adding the new grades? I would call CS in the AM. Good luck to you buddy image
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

1) upgrade
    2) downgrade

If you have a Collectors Club membership, your account summary online should show the new cert #'s if the Reconsideration service is done and grades changed. >>

I have sent in one coin for restoration and it upgraded to a + and PL designation...the cert# stayed the same. To OP, maybe they are in the middle of changing the database for your cert#'s and are adding the new grades? I would call CS in the AM. Good luck to you buddy image >>

A change in surface designation (PL / DMPL / CAM / DCAM) or eye appeal (+) doesn't change the grade. Thus my opinion stands. The prefix (PCGS coin number) may change with a change of the former, but the suffix (digits after the forward slash) only change for the 3 instances above.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) upgrade
    2) downgrade

This is incorrect. I have had coins on reconsideration go up 2 full points and the certificate stays the same. At the last show I had 2 coins go up and the certificate stayed the same. Both by a full grade.
  • KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    This is incorrect. I have had coins on reconsideration go up 2 full points and the certificate stays the same. At the last show I had 2 coins go up and the certificate stayed the same. Both by a full grade. >>

This is my experience, and it's a pain. If there are any previous auction appearances for your coin at a lower grade level, they will still show up when you do a PCGS cert# lookup. I bought an expensive coin in an auction as a 66, upgraded it to 67 through reconsideration, but a cert lookup still shows the 66 auction result while listing the current grade as 67. Makes it a tougher sell when a potential buyer can see the coin was upgraded.

I wish PCGS would change the cert number on a reconsideration upgrade.

<< <i> Makes it a tougher sell when a potential buyer can see the coin was upgraded. >>

I agree, and I have a Rattler that upgraded so the cert # is an old 7 digit number with a zero in front, but in the new slab. Anyone can tell that the coin was upgraded based on the numbering system alone. They will not buy it thinking it has a shot to go up and might even believe it is over-graded.

All this being said, I am happy as Heck it went up for me!

<< <i>

<< <i>

1) upgrade
    2) downgrade

I have sent in one coin for restoration and it upgraded to a + and PL designation...the cert# stayed the same. To OP, maybe they are in the middle of changing the database for your cert#'s and are adding the new grades? I would call CS in the AM. Good luck to you buddy image >>

A change in surface designation (PL / DMPL / CAM / DCAM) or eye appeal (+) doesn't change the grade. Thus my opinion stands. The prefix (PCGS coin number) may change with a change of the former, but the suffix (digits after the forward slash) only change for the 3 instances above. >>

Respectfully...now you stand corrected image
    I did 69 regrades this year. Whether they went up or stayed the same the cert#'s changed. A few conservations from late last year also changed.

I think PCGS is adjusting their practices. I don't think it is consistent yet.
    Lance.
    Lance, regrade and reconsideration are different.

<< <i>Lance, regrade and reconsideration are different. >>

I'm well aware of that. The topic has been about when the cert# changes.

A regrade is always cracked. And in my experience whether it changed grades or not the cert# changed. This, I think, is new.

A reconsideration is only cracked with an upgrade. Does the cert# change? I thought so but it appears it may not.

So I perceive some inconsistencies. Not a big deal, I guess.
    Lance.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭

1) upgrade
    2) downgrade

#3 is not correct. I just had two already PCGS slabbed coins variety attributed last month. The cert. numbers remained the same. Here's one of them:

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭
    I will post my results when I get the PCGS decision. It should be interesting to see what happens to the cert. numbers. Thanks for the input everyone!! My two upgrade candidates are both OGH's with green beans. Both are MS65 Buff's I am hoping for 66's.

• << <i>Cert. numbers change in 3 circumstances:
    1) upgrade
    2) downgrade

#3 is incorrect. I have added variety to several coins already graded and the cert #'s remain the same. It's the coin number that changes.

<< <i>

1) upgrade
    2) downgrade

#3 is incorrect. I have added variety to several coins already graded and the cert #'s remain the same. It's the coin number that changes. >>

...I'm gonna go out on a limb here and go ahead and say #1 is incorrect and #2 is incorrect (as a downgrade isn't possible via Reconsideration) and #3 is incorrect image
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I noticed on this is:

1) When you send the coins in, the serial numbers are removed from the DB.
    2) Once the action is complete, the serial numbers are added back. (with whatever grade they now have)

I saw this with a registry holder sending in some of his coins. As these are Liberty Nickel Varieties, I have all the cert numbers in my database. I noticed the numbers dropped from the pop reports, and found the serial numbers no longer existed. Around a two weeks later, the numbers were back in the pop reports, with one changing (the only AU-58 was now the only MS-61). The cert numbers all now returned results.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

<< <i>Thus my opinion stands. The prefix (PCGS coin number) may change with a change of the former, but the suffix (digits after the forward slash) only change for the 3 instances above. >>

At least it stands for something. Incorrect!

<< <i>...I'm gonna go out on a limb here and go ahead and say #1 is incorrect and #2 is incorrect (as a downgrade isn't possible via Reconsideration) and #3 is incorrect >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file