Home U.S. Coin Forum

old posting

kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
old posting
Kevin J Flynn

Comments

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your opening statement, as well as the final paragraph of your post is a specific offer to sell merchandise. This is inappropriate for the discussion forum. If you need to promote material for sale, put the information in the Buy / Sell / Trade forum.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    put the information in the Buy / Sell / Trade forum.

+1

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your opening statement, as well as the final paragraph of your post is a specific offer to sell merchandise. This is inappropriate for the discussion forum. If you need to promote material for sale, put the information in the Buy / Sell / Trade forum. >>

Dan,

1. Do you somehow believe you are a moderator on this forum? Obviously not.

2. Did not see you complain about other threads on this forum that were obviously presenting and selling books. Did not see you listed responding.

3. Your web site, which is listed in your responses, is obviously a commercial venture, which sells merchandise, based upon your own words, this should be forbidden.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn

<< <i>Kevin >>

FORUM RULES i direct your attention to #9

his (as well as others) signature link is permitted and your spam is not.

these are staples of online forums i've noticed for the past 15 years+

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Kevin,

Thanks for posting the info on the release of the
    new book on Morgan Dollar Die Varieties.

Please ship me a copy!

Fred Weinberg
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
    Wow Lance,

Your another one who believes they are a moderator,
    and another one I do not see on other threads that are obviously listing, advertising, or selling books.

Would guess it has something to do with a personal matter on the Clashed Die book.

On the rules, #8, sharing and educating others, I do this through books. Rule #5, needs to be on U.S. coins, Morgan Dollars are U.S. coins.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn

<< <i>I haven't read it yet but based on your previous books wouldn't it be more accurately described as the morgan die variety book by numerous writers, brought to you by Kevin Flynn? >>

Given that I researched and wrote the book, No

Given that you have not read it, why would you comment?

You obviously have no clue about writing a numismatic book, please show me any numismatic book, that does not have assistance by others.
    Kevin J Flynn

<< <i>Would guess it has something to do with a personal matter on the Clashed Die book.

Kevin >>

nope. just don't like spam.

<< <i>sharing and educating others >>

- via financial solicitation

you obviously don't get it, never have and prob. never will and pcgs obviously doesn't have a problem with it, so good for you.

i've said my piece.

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin:

Your thread in this forum – offering to sell anything – is a VIOLATION of stated PCGS policy for use and participation of this site, and belittling people who point out those rules only makes you look little.
    Please re-post this in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum where it belongs.
    When in doubt, don't.

<< <i>nope. just don't like spam.

<< <i>sharing and educating others >>

- via financial solicitation
    you obviously don't get it, never have and prob. never will and pcgs obviously doesn't have a problem with it, so good for you.
    i've said my piece.. >>

Lance,

You do not get it, I can show you 10 different threads selling/advertising/promoting/soliciting for a numismatic book

None of these have any response from you stating they should not be posted in this forum.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still trying to figure out who is Tom Morgan...

<< <i>I'm still trying to figure out who is Tom Morgan... >>

George T. Morgan's brother, Tom
    Kevin J Flynn

<< <i>I based my question on some of your past works. Isn't it correct when I state that you have emailed numerous experts and collectors and writers in the field to tackle particular chapters in the books. I don't call that writing a book, I call that editing and compiling what other's have written. If that is what most numismatic writers do, fine, but that is not what I call a true author of a book. What ever happened to one writing one's own book and if the author doesn't know then the author researches in order to write about as opposed to sending out emails requesting assistance in writing particular chapters. How else are you able to produce so many works per year and at the same time write about so many varied subjects I ask? I would describe you as a produce/director rather than an author. >>

Tell you what, ask Q. David Bowers, the most prolithic coin author of all time if he requests help from others. I recently, along with many others, helped Dave with his Liberty Seated book, providing information he was not aware of, he does the same for others. I work with many others, we provide each other assistance in each other's work. This is normal for authors. I do not know of any true author who solely has written a book, without some sort of assistance from others.

How do I write so many books and write about so many vary subjects. Easy, I have researched in the national archives for the past 25 years, have spent thousands of hours there. I am now helping them trying to digitize the records for all to use.
    I spent at least 4-5 hours a night researching and writing, sometimes like yesterday, I put in 10 hours. At any given time, I am working on 15 books in the background, some of them might have been background tasks for about 20 years, others a few months. When I believe I am close on one, I focus just on that book. Writing books helps focus one on learning about a series. Having written 49 books to date, this has helped me accumunate knowledge. Some books such as the 1838-O half dollar, took about 4 months as I was able to figure out almost everything by studying the Smithsonian specimen. Of course, JD helped greatly, which is why he is listed as a coathor of the book.

You can call me whatever you like, but walk in my shoes, write your own book, and see how it goes.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn

<< <i>Kevin: Your thread in this forum – offering to sell anything – is a VIOLATION of stated PCGS policy for use and participation of this site, and belittling people who point out those rules only makes you look little.
    Please re-post this in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum where it belongs. >>

Please show me on threads on books that were sold/advertised/promoted/solicited, that you have addressed the same
    Will gladly show the same that you or others did not.

Actually I read and quote the rules that supported this thread.

Thanks for your concern
    Kevin

Kevin J Flynn
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭✭
    The kids are so big now! They'll need new pants soon...
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Kevin: Your thread in this forum – offering to sell anything – is a VIOLATION of stated PCGS policy for use and participation of this site, and belittling people who point out those rules only makes you look little.
    Please re-post this in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum where it belongs. >>

Please show me on threads on books that were sold/advertised/promoted/solicited, that you have addressed the same
    Will gladly show the same that you or others did not.

Actually I read and quote the rules that supported this thread.

Thanks for your concern
    Kevin >>

Seriously? You're going to use the adolescent's defense of "Johnny did it, so I'm going to as well?" Aren't you more of an adult than that? Don't you respect rules and proper conduct? What message do you want to send members of this forum by acting like this?
    When in doubt, don't.
    [qIt is funny I knew you would mention Mr Bowers. So I guess just mentioning his name proves your point.
    Mr Bowers is a great writer, love reading his stories and own most of his books. However when it comes to actual research that can be relied upon I choose to go with the experts in the field. I don't think you can compare noted experts writings with generalists writings. But if you are sending out emails looking for individuals to write individual chapters how is that truly writing one's own book from a purist standpoint? >>

I can list many other authors that I have helped, or am currently helping, and list probably just about every numismatic author to show this point, none of whom would pass your standards of being a true author as they had assistance from others.
    No idea what you are talking about on experts writing vs generalist writings. Somehow you are differntiating requesting information that an author might need, or get clarification on, to those who request someone to write a chapter on.

This is something I am proud of and few other authors do. If I believe something fully, but I know another author believe a different theory/hypothesis/conclusion, I believe it is important to show all perspectives, not just my own,
    I have included in a few of my books, small chapters from other individuals under their name, MPD book for example, included input of several people that had different ideas on how they were created.

On this particular book, I have uncovered stuff never seen before such as the die counts for 70% of the working dies used for Morgan Dollars. I can state, within a four day window when the 1880 overdates were created. I can show how the 1880 overdates were created. Craig Sholley, who I consider one of the greatest U.S. researchers today, stated that he believe this was one of the top 10 discoveries on U.S. coins. I can show the rules governing the working dies during the distrubtion of the Morgan Dollars, and show how the 1900-O/CC Morgan Dollar working dies were from Carson City in 1893, and not found in 1899 in Carson City as stated by Don Taxey.
    If this and other research does not qualify under your standards of an author, so be it, really do not care.

Alan, I find your assertion from the start of this thread interesting, as when I was writing the Liberty Seated Dollar book, you asked me if I would include info in my book about Liberty Seated Dollar chopmarks, counterstamps, and engravings, which we wrote about through the PCGS messages, in the end, I did not believe it appropriate for my book and also questioned permission of the images you wanted to include as part of this.
    "I would love a copy of your book. I also would like to share some info with you that I hope you would add to your book assuming it isn't in it already, is there anything in there about Seated Liberty dollars with chopmarks, counterstamps and engravings?"
    Can I suggest your just writing this in your own book so you can see what it takes to write a book.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn

<< <i>Seriously? You're going to use the adolescent's defense of "Johnny did it, so I'm going to as well?" Aren't you more of an adult than that? Don't you respect rules and proper conduct? What message do you want to send members of this forum by acting like this? >>

Actually I am asking you, if you believe you have a right to play moderator, and you believe strongly enough to state this herein, why have you not played 'God' elsewhere?
    What gives you the right to play moderator and interfere with my post?

And again, reviewed the rules, please do the same.

Message is simple, do not let individuals harass you because their interpretation of the rules is different from yours and they believe they can play moderator and dictate your posts, if needed, request clarification from a moderator.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
    edited February 9, 2022 8:18PM

<< <i>so are you implying that if those threads are treated as unacceptable, you will cease and desist permanently as all you want is to be rejected fairly?
    if so, how many of us and/or whom specifically do you require to post to those threads for this to happen?
    also, can you provide a list/links to said threads as i do not recall any in the last few months but i dont watch the forum every day.. >>

No idea what your stating if your first sentence.
    And again, you are not a moderator.
    I requested clarification from Don Willis, the moderator and final word on these forums. Will take action appropriate to his decision.

You have Women in Numismatics, which I am sure is a great book, know Ron is a great writer, posted a few days ago.

You have Whitman posting several books over the past year

You have Rick Snow raising money for his FE&Indian cent book.

All of these are great books, which IMO help the hobby immensely, and IMO letting collectors know they are available is important, and is covered under Rule #8, sharing of information for the hobby.

You told me that you pour all of your effort into this site and forum, that is your contribution, yet you do not accept that others might do so through books, your choice.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
    Don Willis just sent me an email stating
    "Please post your book"

If you have any issues, please address with the moderator, Don Willis

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights