for the time invested...EXCEPT...this guy needs to "present" each
piece along with the family's story behind it. Regardless, he
doesn't sell - fast forward to a couple of minutes ago - same guy,
same collection - I figure "He's back and wants to sell it"
Noooo he's back, but he goes into his spiel again as if he hadn't
been here 6 hours ago. So I let him talk himself out before I
remind him that he's already been here, I've already worked up the
deal and he's already turned down my offer. He wasn't happy."
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very patient person! I doubt I would have been able to listen very long the second time...
    ----- kj
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ownership adds a _________

The pedigree of ________

The ________ mini-hoard

I imagine these are the "driven only to church on Sunday" stories...

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Unfortunately, your sentimental value doesn't convey to the next owner."

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny. I would have offered a little less than before, and waited for him to tell me that he had already received a higher offer. Then, I would have advised him to run back to the other guy and take the offer.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Funny. I would have offered a little less than before, and waited for him to tell me that he had already received a higher offer. Then, I would have advised him to run back to the other guy and take the offer. >>

imageimageimage
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so this is one I have not heard before. Thanks, and bottom's up!
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the guy went to 10 other places, told the same story, and forgot he had been already been to the first one.

And probably thinks that every dealer low-balled him and they are all conspiring against him.

What happens in such cases? Do the coins just sit forever? Or does the owner finally say uncle?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a shipment in the other day. The sender used old postage stamps. I wrote a note on the empty box that read : "Free stamps to a good stamp collector" then left it outside the shop.
    Now instead of drinking, I just watch people take the trash. It's kind of a cheap thrill, but fun just the same.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like he may have Alzheimer's disease where short term memory loss is a characteristic. But don't let that stop you from making fun of him.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Funny. I would have offered a little less than before, and waited for him to tell me that he had already received a higher offer. Then, I would have advised him to run back to the other guy and take the offer. >>

This made me snort coffee out my nose!
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of an incident when I was helping my father at the Albany, N.Y. show.
    A fellow came to the table with a small collection with a story for each coin. I was half-listening as I tallied up an offer which he rejected as far too little and moved on. A couple hours later, as I was returning to the table, I saw he was talking to Dad. I carefully placed my tally list where Dad could see it, he kinda smiled, let the guy finish and offered him $100 less.
    The guy fussed a bit, said he was going back to the "only guy who offered me a halfway decent price." Got up from the table, stepped into the aisle and looked around for that guy. By the time he turned fully around, i was standing up next to my father, with the amount I'd offered in hand.
    He looked a little sheepish and we finished the deal.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Reminds me of an incident when I was helping my father at the Albany, N.Y. show.
    A fellow came to the table with a small collection with a story for each coin. I was half-listening as I tallied up an offer which he rejected as far too little and moved on. A couple hours later, as I was returning to the table, I saw he was talking to Dad. I carefully placed my tally list where Dad could see it, he kinda smiled, let the guy finish and offered him $100 less.
    The guy fussed a bit, said he was going back to the "only guy who offered me a halfway decent price." Got up from the table, stepped into the aisle and looked around for that guy. By the time he turned fully around, i was standing up next to my father, with the amount I'd offered in hand.
    He looked a little sheepish and we finished the deal. >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file